Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What are you guys liking for a 16" heavy barrel? I've got one in a Hogue right now, which honestly feels decent, but I'm looking around. Anybody using the KRG chassis?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now with even more aplomb
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
These are mine, hogged out the Bbl channel myself, added a faux ebony tip...........

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The magpul x22 is a good stock.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Mine sat in a Hogue, and it was a very serviceable stock. I just put it in a Bell and Carlson, but have yet to use it. If feels pretty good.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Victor Titan if you can tolerate the vertical grip
Bench was fine.
Hunting, like a more traditional grip.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Boyd's SS Revolution is very comfortable to shoot. It may look a little Buck Rogers but it's a sweet ambidextrous stock for 10/22's.

I've got an extra one sitting empty right now. If you want to give it a try I'll ship it to you.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I was ordering a Feddersen barrel and spoke with a guy about this and that and he said they have had best luck with the rubber over molded Hogue stocks. He said it must have something to do with soaking up harmonics. He also said they need a little pressure on the fore end.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
I was ordering a Feddersen barrel and spoke with a guy about this and that and he said they have had best luck with the rubber over molded Hogue stocks. He said it must have something to do with soaking up harmonics. He also said they need a little pressure on the fore end.

From what I've seen, they may be right in some regards. If just slapping a stock on a rifle and calling it good, the hogue works great for accuracy. I tried a few different stocks and that was the case with the hogue. I just hated how it felt (poor ergos). The comb was far too sharp for my needs, and it is too sticky when shooting fast from the bags and moving to hit multiple targets. Other hogue overmolded stocks on bigger rifles have been great though. The stock (Magpul X-22) I mentioned in my last post is one of the most popular stocks on the market right now. They have an insert where you can apply pressure to the barrel from a screw through one of the m-lok slots. I tried it and didn't get the accuracy I desired. As have some of my buddies from my club. We've all found out that upward pressure may work on a bone stock factory barrel, but it is not needed for a heavy barrel 10-22. Instead you glass bed the action and freefloat the barrel and accuracy is pretty decent:

Yesterday at a know your limits shoot, I sold an extra X-22 stock to a member of the club and he absolutely loves the stock. He did very well with it in the shoot as well. Surprisingly hitting up to 6 out of the 8 targets with a bone stock 10-22 made in 1964. 2 other guys and myself told him to leave the barrel tension insert out and try it with the barrel freefloating in the stock and it was shooting like a champ.. He said there is no comparison between the factory stock and the X-22. His buddy also shot the rifle and did well with it in the event.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Just relaying what I was told. I stuck my Feddersen factory contoured barrel in a non rubber Hogue stock and bedded the barrel. Shoots way better than the factory barrel did and that’s all I was after. This is a portable squirrel gun that is my suppressor host. Wears a 1.75-6 Leupold scope for now but might get a red dot on it.

I’m not going down the heavy barrel target gun again, no sir, ain’t happening, not for me…

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I have the Magpul x22 stock on a couple of heavy barrel 10/22s. I think it's a good stock and not expensive.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
Just relaying what I was told. I stuck my Feddersen factory contoured barrel in a non rubber Hogue stock and bedded the barrel. Shoots way better than the factory barrel did and that’s all I was after. This is a portable squirrel gun that is my suppressor host. Wears a 1.75-6 Leupold scope for now but might get a red dot on it.

I’m not going down the heavy barrel target gun again, no sir, ain’t happening, not for me…

You are correct from what I experienced. The hogue is great for what you explained. IF it fits the person buying it. To me the comb is too sharp. Keep in mind I also shoot left handed, so I don't know if there is a difference in shape from one side to the next. As far as I know, it's supposed to be an ambi stock. It rates real high in reviews, so there are a lot of people that like it. As far as "squirrel guns" go, I use my lighter A17. That is also my go to golf ball gun. Nothing is faster..

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Personally I hate the rubber stock cause it sticks everywhere but a buddy had the nylon stock and I liked it. Bought one for a Steel Challenge gun and stuck a red dot on it. Found another one and fixed it up with the Feddersen barrel and a scope. Of course they both have VQ triggers and extractors in them. Nothing like putting $500 in a $200 22…

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Boyd's SS Revolution is very comfortable to shoot. It may look a little Buck Rogers but it's a sweet ambidextrous stock for 10/22's.

I've got an extra one sitting empty right now. If you want to give it a try I'll ship it to you.

Quite the offer , but it is a bit Buck Rogers for me. Appreciated though....

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
JPro, I looked at a rifle with the KRG Bravo stock on it and honestly, it was the biggest piece of crap I’ve seen. The trigger guard area had two sharp edges that just didn’t get close to fitting the trigger guard and the barrel fit in pretty crooked in the stock. I was so disappointed as I wanted to buy the rifle but it just wasn’t as well thought out as it should’ve been in my opinion.

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That's good firsthand info. Thanks.

I may run it with the Hogue a bit, or I may pick up the Mag-Pul. Nothing else is really grabbing my attention at the moment.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by TWR

From what I've seen, they may be right in some regards. If just slapping a stock on a rifle and calling it good, the hogue works great for accuracy. I tried a few different stocks and that was the case with the hogue. I just hated how it felt (poor ergos). The comb was far too sharp for my needs, and it is too sticky when shooting fast from the bags and moving to hit multiple targets. Other hogue overmolded stocks on bigger rifles have been great though. The stock (Magpul X-22) I mentioned in my last post is one of the most popular stocks on the market right now. They have an insert where you can apply pressure to the barrel from a screw through one of the m-lok slots. I tried it and didn't get the accuracy I desired. As have some of my buddies from my club. We've all found out that upward pressure may work on a bone stock factory barrel, but it is not needed for a heavy barrel 10-22. Instead you glass bed the action and freefloat the barrel and accuracy is pretty decent:

Yesterday at a know your limits shoot, I sold an extra X-22 stock to a member of the club and he absolutely loves the stock. He did very well with it in the shoot as well. Surprisingly hitting up to 6 out of the 8 targets with a bone stock 10-22 made in 1964. 2 other guys and myself told him to leave the barrel tension insert out and try it with the barrel freefloating in the stock and it was shooting like a champ.. He said there is no comparison between the factory stock and the X-22. His buddy also shot the rifle and did well with it in the event.

Try using double sided tape as a pressure pad under the barrel. Move it forward and backward to fine tune it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 24HourCampFireGuy50
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by TWR

Try using double sided tape as a pressure pad under the barrel. Move it forward and backward to fine tune it.

No need to with the stock im using. Accuracy is very consistent.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JPro
That's good firsthand info. Thanks.

I may run it with the Hogue a bit, or I may pick up the Mag-Pul. Nothing else is really grabbing my attention at the moment.

I have an empty purple Hogue that you are welcome to try. If you are ever in this area, I'll give it to you to try out.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I kinda prefer a "regular" stock (hunting gun).
Have an old Numrichs walnut sporter for a .920 bbl.

LOL, only 10/22 in the house aint mine and they don't want to change it from carbine setup.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1eyedmule, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 62 invisible), 2,863 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,707
Posts18,456,861
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.