Print Thread
Hop To
C
cotis Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Decided to get into this hobby, and liked the looks of this Akela bullpup. I bought a Truglo 4-16x scope (lifetime warranty and no need to go crazy). The darn compressor was the tough pill to swallow. Cost more than the rifle! I boubht a Nomad compressor. Everything should be here next week. Having a hard time finding the JSB pellets everyons says are so good. I bought 1/2 dozen other types to experiment with.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
BP-B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Sounds nice.

Beware, these things are far more enjoyable than I ever imagined, In under a year I've accumulated three break-barrels, and two PCPs.

I think I'm about done buying now. Well, maybe a compressor sometime down the road. I'm using an Armstrong hand pump (Hill MK5), which isn't as difficult as I had imagined.

C
cotis Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I just didn’t have the appetite to struggle with a hand pump. I probably should have tried it before spending so much on a compressor, but some of those darn hand pumps were a third to half the price of a compressor! So I just went with the “buy once, cry once” mentality with this one. I am anxious to see how the scope does, its glass quality, etc. It is an Eminus model, 4-16x with illuminated reticle and comes with a cantilever mount. We shall see. I really like the idea of not having to worry about primers, powder, time to reload, or expensive cost and lack of factory powder-based ammo. All I need is a god supply of pellets and I am good. The government hasn’t figured out how to charge for air yet, so shooting it should be cheap quality trigger time!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The Nomad compressor looks like a great way to fly, with house power or vehicle power.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Pyramid Air seems to have a fair amount of JSB Pellets in stock. I've been very happy doing business with Utah Airguns and NSA and their slugs.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
IC B2

C
cotis Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Rifle, scope, pellets, and air compressor all arrived today. Kinda like Christmas in May! Going to have some fun over the next few weeks.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice looking outfit. Are they building those in the US or having them made overseas? Wonder how it'd work for a lefty?

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

C
cotis Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
It is made in Turkey, hence the turkish walnut stock. Has the 5 year warranty. I am a lefty, and haven't had an issue with the cocking lever. My cheek rests just behind it. If I creep up into the scope I feel it on the side of my face.

C
cotis Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Finally got around to setting this rig up over the weekend. Had a few minor challenges. Overall I am impressed with the quality of the rifle, but two things slipped through QA. First - out of the box I noticed that the action would "rock" front to back within the stock. The action is held to the stock with a single hex bolt through the hand grip (much like an AR). Removed the action and noticed the wood where it mates to the action at the bolt was not perfectly flat. The sides were rounded preventing a "flat to flat" mating surface. A quick cleanup with a little dremel router bit and it was now solid as a rock. It comes with no air in the tank so I filled it up. Went to fire it and......nothing. Smacked the side of the stock and it went off. I noticed the transfer bar from the trigger to the sear (about 10" long) was loose. I tightened the rear nut on the bar about 3 turns and all was well.

I like the scope for what it is. I had to level it in the mount and put some oil on the illumination dial on the side as it was impossible to turn. Had no trouble walking the pellet into a nice zero and proceeded to stack half a dozen of them inside a dime. I am really liking this rig!

I need to get a good piece of metal pic rail for the bipod, the plastic one it ships with sucks and only attaches to the stock with a single center bolt - fail. And I need to get a new bipos, I am not keeping my $275 Atlas on this setup.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
What distance are you shooting groups?

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
How do you like the Nomad compressor?

C
cotis Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Hal4son
What distance are you shooting groups?

25 yards. It’s the farthest I can do where I live. Anxious to get it out farther and try different cans of pellets. So far all I have shot are 14.3 gram Crosman target pellets

C
cotis Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Dan_H
How do you like the Nomad compressor?

I really like it. Rule #1, 2, and 3 are DO NOT start it under any pressure! It has a thumb turn bleeder screw on the side and a drain screw underneath. At a minimum you will blow the safety disc or fuse, some have reported burning up circuit board. I used a label maker to print a reminder tag placed below the buttons. It’s not that loud for a compressor. It also won’t win any speed contests but it is way easier than a hand pump and never gets tired blush A few drops of silicone oil in a hole on the side whenever the load digital gauge approaches 27.

I really like that it can run off 12v DC with the included jumper wires. Never a reason to run out of air anywhere. Really glad I bought it, I feel my experience with PCPs would be much less enjoyable, this makes it so easy.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
We shoot 10 meters at my club. How do you think it would work shooting off hand? It is pretty short.

C
cotis Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
It balances well between the hands since the weight is farther back. I would think that it would be quite stable but I have not spent time trying it yet

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
735 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 84 invisible), 2,735 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,700
Posts18,399,968
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.