Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It's getting nuts. Even basic manufacturing jobs are starting at $24 an hour. Housing has jumped 30% in the last 12 months around here, after a 20% jump the year before.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2021/06/idaho-unemployment-rate-drops-to-3-as-pandemic-fades/

BOISE (AP) — Idaho’s unemployment rate dropped a tenth of a percent to 3% from April to May as the coronavirus pandemic fades, state officials said Friday.

The Idaho Department of Labor said that the total number of people unemployed has dropped nearly 63% compared to a year ago.

“Idaho’s unemployment rate continues to drop!” Republican Gov. Brad Little said on Twitter. “Idahoans are getting back to work and our economy is getting even better by the day!”

The state’s labor force grew a tenth of a percent to 901,494 as people continue moving to Idaho.

Of those, 874,143 are employed, boosting total employment by two-tenths of a percent. Just over 27,000 people are looking for work.

The labor force participation rate, comprised of those 16 years and older working or looking for work, remained unchanged at 62.7%.

Idaho’s nonfarm jobs from a year ago have increased by nearly 64,000, up about 9%. Officials say leisure and hospitality jobs, hit hard by the pandemic, are up 37% from a year ago. Those jobs have also increased 4.1% from February 2020, which was before the pandemic started forcing business shutdowns in the state.

The national unemployment rate dropped three-tenths of a percent in May, falling to 5.8%.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Every business in town is trying to hire. Everyone is hurting for employees here

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
A friend with a sandwich shop has been offering $17 an hour for a couple weeks and has yet to be able to hire anyone. $17/hour to make sandwiches

Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Even in small towns. The local Arctic Circle burger joint is paying pimply faced high school drop outs $15 an hour. I'm thinking I'll pack my lunch....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why would people work when Big Brother & Big Nanny are paying them to not work?

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My wife just paid $13.99 for an All American Slam at a Denny's on the east side of the Bay Area. Maybe they're paying $20/hr for busboys?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
My wife just paid $13.99 for an All American Slam at a Denny's on the east side of the Bay Area. Maybe they're paying $20/hr for busboys?

In the Bay area? Even if that's full time, that's $40,000 a year. Hard to make ends meet when rent takes up 60% of that...... I'm dreading the day we lose our neighbor's kids to move pipe in the summer. No idea where the replacements will come from, outside of Mexico.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Two economies in Idaho maybe. My daughter talked to some folks last week that own a feed store about an advertised job. She has forklift certification, several years in inventory control and record keeping, shipping and receiving, experience with animal feeds and supplements, and a propane service credential. Sounded like a perfect fit, until they told her it paid 9 bucks an hour.
She stopped in Hobby Lobby down in Twin Falls, they are advertising for entry level help at 17 bucks an hour. Go figure that.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Clam up or your paradise will be overrun.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Clam up or your paradise will be overrun.

Nah, they'll die before they'll give up their union jobs or their government pensions....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Two economies in Idaho maybe. My daughter talked to some folks last week that own a feed store about an advertised job. She has forklift certification, several years in inventory control and record keeping, shipping and receiving, experience with animal feeds and supplements, and a propane service credential. Sounded like a perfect fit, until they told her it paid 9 bucks an hour.
She stopped in Hobby Lobby down in Twin Falls, they are advertising for entry level help at 17 bucks an hour. Go figure that.
Idaho has lots of small businesses that haven't kept up with the economy.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
On a more negative note, the local convenience store reports being shorted 75% on his beer order. WTF? Does our beer now come from China? Or is brewing hard work, too?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Kellywk
A friend with a sandwich shop has been offering $17 an hour for a couple weeks and has yet to be able to hire anyone. $17/hour to make sandwiches
Convenience stores around here were offering 15.00 an hour for cashiers and Dairy Queen 14.35 for serving ice cream back before anybody heard of covid 19 {summer 2019}. Prices have gone up dramatically since then so naturally folks need to make more.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Idaho has lots of small businesses that haven't kept up with the economy.
We've got manufacturing facilities/companies that apparently think it's still the 90's. Some offering 13.00 an hour and can't figure out why they don't get many applicants and the few they do get can't pass a background or drug test.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If we could send 30 million illegals back home, I think you would be surprised at how quickly America would get back to 1990. The last time we were "normal".
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

376 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 35 invisible), 1,611 guests, and 994 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,226
Posts18,447,682
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.