24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This is not a brand new design, a few cottage industry shops have done something similar, but definitely not common place. It's a sleeping bag, but can be used as a garment around camp or glassing.

For backpack hunters this could prove to be a useful piece.

https://www.sitkagear.com/products/kelvin-aerolite-30-sleeping-bag/lead

BP-B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It looks awesome smile

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Less weight and $ than my winter down pants and jacket. I carry an OR Helium bivy in the winter and this system would work well with this. My best friend has the HPG version and he loves it. I think that this is a system that will fit a narrow segment of users.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
definitely a niche piece and not for everyone, but I think I could probably put it to work this fall smile

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I guess if you are a super ultra light weight type who dosent mind sleeping in their down jacket inside the bag to save weight, sure.

I like light weight gear a lot but I’ve never been on board with strange sleep systems that sacrifice comfort for weight, like those half length sleeping bags which require you to wear your down jacket…no thanks. A 30 degree Sitka bag would be ok in the summer for me but there isn’t much hunting going on in the summers, come moose season it’s normal for things to be frosted over each morning.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
They list the bag as 30 degrees comfort, but someone posted a pic of the bag and it’s labeled as 38 degrees comfort. I’ve found significant differences between a 30 degree bag and a 40 degree bag as it gets closer to 30 degrees smile

At 38 oz for a 40 degree bag, it becomes far less appealing. I have a MLD Spirit 38 bag (Apex insulation) that only weighs 19 oz, on top of that it has a poncho hole, so it can also be worn around camp or glassing.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Scheels had one of these when I was there the other day. Looks very interesting. It is always great to actually see something first hand and not just online.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Honestly, I just don't see the point, a wearable bag just doesn't make sense to me. I've seen bags that people can wear in stands in the bitter cold that are made for just that but this one seems to an expensive solution to a problem that does not exist. They should be on sale after November I imagine.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Good luck. That 30 rating, as most of us know, doesn’t mean comfort; it means you will survive. I like Sitka, but I’d be dubious id this for a number of reasons.

Pass the Western Mountaineering, please.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Sleeping in clothes inside the body suit, I just don't see a good night's sleep there, too constrictive for me, I reckon.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
I guess if you are a super ultra light weight type who dosent mind sleeping in their down jacket inside the bag to save weight, sure.

I like light weight gear a lot but I’ve never been on board with strange sleep systems that sacrifice comfort for weight, like those half length sleeping bags which require you to wear your down jacket…no thanks. A 30 degree Sitka bag would be ok in the summer for me but there isn’t much hunting going on in the summers, come moose season it’s normal for things to be frosted over each morning.

I'm with you. My novel strategy to mitigate heavy sleeping gear is to walk less smile In a pinch, I'd rather sleep in a jacket than be cold, but that's always true.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
They had one at sportsmans warehouse, hanging on a mannequin.

I thought it was so funny I took a picture and sent it to my buddy who's a Sitka fanboy.

If I were looking to go that route, I'd be thinking Kifaru and/or HPG long before Sitka.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ChasterWill
I came across this thread and noticed you were discussing the Sitka Aerolite sleeping bag. Even though it's been a couple of years since this conversation, I wanted to chime in and say that the idea of a sleeping bag doubling as a garment for camping or glassing is still pretty cool. It's always exciting to see innovative designs like this, even if they haven't become mainstream yet.
If you're still on the lookout for lightweight down sleeping bags or want to explore more options, you might want to check out https://effortlessoutdoors.com/lightest-down-sleeping-bags/. They've got some great insights on the lightest down sleeping bags and other camping gear. It's never too late to upgrade your outdoor gear and make your adventures even more enjoyable.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by ChasterWill
I came across this thread and noticed you were discussing the Sitka Aerolite sleeping bag. Even though it's been a couple of years since this conversation, I wanted to chime in and say that the idea of a sleeping bag doubling as a garment for camping or glassing is still pretty cool. It's always exciting to see innovative designs like this, even if they haven't become mainstream yet.
If you're still on the lookout for lightweight down sleeping bags or want to explore more options, you might want to check out https://effortlessoutdoors.com/lightest-down-sleeping-bags/. They've got some great insights on the lightest down sleeping bags and other camping gear. It's never too late to upgrade your outdoor gear and make your adventures even more enjoyable.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Bot?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Gotta love as many zippers as possible. 😀

I’d have those zippers bound up in short order.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Gotta love as many zippers as possible. 😀

I’d have those zippers bound up in short order.

Truth...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 76 invisible), 2,776 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.