Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Hey guys,
I recently installed a new stock on a Ruger Tang Safety chambered in 338 Win Mag. Stock is a new new OEM walnut that was drop in perfect. The old stock was split under the tang plus a chunk of wood was missing on the right side at the tang.
Yesterday, we are out shooting the rifle for the first time since it was re-stocked. 220gr Fed factory loads. 11 shots later and fer crying out loud, there was a chunk of wood missing on the right side of the tang. On the left side under the bolt there was a crack that, if we hadn't noticed the damage already, would likely have resulted in another chunk of wood broken off. I haven't taken the action out of the stock yet so I don't know if there is a split under the tang but I wouldn't be surprised.
Recoil was "authoritative" but not excessive for a 338 WM.
Ideas?? Being an OEM stock for a discontinued rifle, was the wood dried out?
I understand that Ruger d/c the wooden stock on early Alaskan/African 375 Ruger's due to splitting issues. Are we dealing with a similar issue?
Thanks,
Jeff

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
A tang safety 338 without a cracked stock is pretty rare IME. They were terrible about splitting stocks. They generally need the lug bedded for %100 contact and the tang relieved so it doesn’t pop a chunk out. Hopefully you can locate another stock and bed it first this time.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TheKid
A tang safety 338 without a cracked stock is pretty rare IME. They were terrible about splitting stocks. They generally need the lug bedded for %100 contact and the tang relieved so it doesn’t pop a chunk out. Hopefully you can locate another stock and bed it first this time.

Thanks very much. In hind site, I do recall reading somewhere about the issue of them splitting. One of the reasons that a lot of those guns that I have seen are stocked in synthetic. The thing that really was shocking is that it only took 11 shots to do the damage. Everything was tight, maybe to tight at the tang. At least, it was after shot 11 that we noticed it. Live and learn.
I think my friend who owns it is going to go with a synthetic now. We discussed it yesterday at least. Its a really nice rifle, I should offer to buy it from him.
Thanks for the insight.
Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not too many absolutes in the gun world, but too tight of a fit and not being bedded with the tang relieved will guarantee stock splits on these Rugers.

Fixed a couple of these for local guys. After the repairs and pillar bedding, both are still going strong 10+ years later after elk, moose and caribou hunts. One was a 338 and the other a 300.

I'd have it fixed properly or go synthetic. "Properly" being the operative word if you opt to have it repaired.

Good shootin'. smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Not too many absolutes in the gun world, but too tight of a fit and not being bedded with the tang relieved will guarantee stock splits on these Rugers.

Fixed a couple of these for local guys. After the repairs and pillar bedding, both are still going strong 10+ years later after elk, moose and caribou hunts. One was a 338 and the other a 300.

I'd have it fixed properly or go synthetic. "Properly" being the operative word if you opt to have it repaired.

Good shootin'. smile -Al

Thanks Al,
I suspect synthetic will be the way to go. We did pillar bed the replacement but the way the wood split on the one side and the chunk cracked off the other, I don't think a repair is feasible.
I still haven't taken it apart to see if there is damage underneath, busy day.
Plus bedding the lug and relieving the tang of course. (The original looks like it wasn't bedded or relieved and took many years to split)
I might give it try while we search out a quality synthetic though.
It was an interesting afternoon for sure, 11 shots to destruction, could be the title of a new movie.
Jeff

Last edited by troutfly; 06/21/21. Reason: added content
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Properly bedded, with relief where required, and it won't split. I'll bet the stock is broken behind the recoil lug too. GD

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by greydog
Properly bedded, with relief where required, and it won't split. I'll bet the stock is broken behind the recoil lug too. GD

I won't have time till this weekend to look further at the rifle but, I wouldn't take that bet.
Jeff

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by troutfly
Hey guys,
I recently installed a new stock on a Ruger Tang Safety chambered in 338 Win Mag. Stock is a new new OEM walnut that was drop in perfect. The old stock was split under the tang plus a chunk of wood was missing on the right side at the tang.
Yesterday, we are out shooting the rifle for the first time since it was re-stocked. 220gr Fed factory loads. 11 shots later and fer crying out loud, there was a chunk of wood missing on the right side of the tang. On the left side under the bolt there was a crack that, if we hadn't noticed the damage already, would likely have resulted in another chunk of wood broken off. I haven't taken the action out of the stock yet so I don't know if there is a split under the tang but I wouldn't be surprised.
I understand that Ruger d/c the wooden stock on early Alaskan/African 375 Ruger's due to splitting issues. Are we dealing with a similar issue?
Thanks,
Jeff

Maybe after having 2 stocks crack out you might be smart enough to put 2 and 2 together and figure out they need to be properly glass bedded to keep this from happening. Have you never read posts regarding this?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have repaired quite a few of these, including fitting pieces to fill in for missing chunks. It is not that difficult and virtually disappears.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Hey guys,
Thanks,
Jeff

Maybe after having 2 stocks crack out you might be smart enough to put 2 and 2 together and figure out they need to be properly glass bedded to keep this from happening. Have you never read posts regarding this?

Actually, the rifle was purchased with the cracked stock by the friend I am working on it with. It appeared to have taken years for the crack to appear. That is why we went ahead and restocked it as though it was coming from Ruger directly.
No, I haven't read any posts ref this issue. I don't go surfing around the site looking for topics that could be years old. That is why I came looking for advice.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I have repaired quite a few of these, including fitting pieces to fill in for missing chunks. It is not that difficult and virtually disappears.

Thanks, good to know all isn't potentially lost. I'm going to go ahead and try to repair it if the damage isn't too bad under the tang, then bed the recoil lug as mentioned plus relieve wood around the tang. We located the chunk that broke off so at least there aren't any missing pieces to fabricate. it is a clean break.
It's a live and learn lesson.

Last edited by troutfly; 06/22/21. Reason: added content
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Thanks, good to know all isn't potentially lost. I'm going to go ahead and try to repair it if the damage isn't too bad under the tang, then bed the recoil lug as mentioned plus relieve wood around the tang. We located the chunk that broke off so at least there aren't any missing pieces to fabricate. it is a clean break.

With what you have a nearly invisible repair should be quick and easy.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T

With what you have a nearly invisible repair should be quick and easy.

Thanks very much. Will take it slow and careful and make sure the right parts are bedded etc.
I'll have to order some fresh Acraglas to be safe. The stuff I have on hand is a few years old, left from a different project.
Jeff

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Epoxy rarely goes bad... warm the parts and allow to cool before combining and mixing and you will be fine.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Epoxy rarely goes bad... warm the parts and allow to cool before combining and mixing and you will be fine.

Thanks, good to know! I appreciate the advice!
Jeff

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Well damn, i remember reading this thread last week, went and saw an old buddy that i knew had three Ruger rifle walnut stocks, yep all three are for the tang safety Rugers, but, i failed to notice you were in Canada, if you have interest and think shipping/importing? wold be worth it, PM me and i'll give you his cell number, said he's take a 100 bucks for each stock, or 300 shipped for all three, they're very nice clean stocks, i noticed no cracks anywhere on any of them.

Told me an old cowboy buddy of his pulled em off new Rugers he bought so he could syn stock them all.

BTW, all three stocks have the red Ruger pads on them.

Last edited by gunner500; 06/26/21.

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by gunner500
Well damn, i remember reading this thread last week, went and saw an old buddy that i knew had three Ruger rifle walnut stocks, yep all three are for the tang safety Rugers, but, i failed to notice you were in Canada, if you have interest and think shipping/importing? wold be worth it, PM me and i'll give you his cell number, said he's take a 100 bucks for each stock, or 300 shipped for all three, they're very nice clean stocks, i noticed no cracks anywhere on any of them.

Told me an old cowboy buddy of his pulled em off new Rugers he bought so he could syn stock them all.

BTW, all three stocks have the red Ruger pads on them.

Hi gunner500,
Much appreciated offer! I'll check with my buddy who owns the rifle and see if he is interested.
Importing shouldn't be an issue as the stock that cracked was ordered from a company in the US. There wasn't anything special about
shipping that they indicated.
Thanks,
Jeff

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A buddy of mine had the exact thing happen to his 77 338. He contacted Ruger and they told him to ship just the stock back and they would look at it. They wound up sending him a very nice new stock at no charge.
But this was over 20 years ago.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was young and needed a 338 to kill elk, or thought so, I bought a stainless steel laminated 77. After about 30 rounds, it split clear through the pistol grip. Killed a couple bulls before then. Sent stock to Ruger and told them I wanted a walnut stock to replace it with. Looked great. Took it to a gun show and sold it unfired in the new stock. Odds of that one holding up were slim in my mind.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Interesting stories guys. Might be worth contacting Ruger. Can't hurt to inquire. Seems to me an OEM stock should be reliable. As far as I have seen, Ruger doesn't glass bed
factory stocks though I could be wrong.
Jeff

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 64 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,538
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.