Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by douglasfir
Would a "micro compact" (Shield plus, Ruger Max-9, Sig P365) be a bad choice for a first non-rimfire handgun? I know that smaller handguns are said to be more difficult to shoot well and not as fun to shoot and therefore not as likely to get practiced with. With the capacity of these small guns getting so large, it is awfully tempting to make my first handgun one that I can comfortably concealed carry.

If smaller gips of those guns are comfortable fit your hand then I see no reason not to buy one of the guns you mentioned. The gold standard is Glock 26.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Would a "micro compact" (Shield plus, Ruger Max-9, Sig P365) be a bad choice for a first non-rimfire handgun? I know that smaller handguns are said to be more difficult to shoot well and not as fun to shoot and therefore not as likely to get practiced with. With the capacity of these small guns getting so large, it is awfully tempting to make my first handgun one that I can comfortably concealed carry.

I don't know why not. My first handgun, in 1980, was a Ruger Speed Six in .357 Magnum. Of course, I started shooting target wadcutters through it.

A Speed Six is not a micro compact handgun.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by lvmiker
EE, for the 3rd time, the G43 is more than 8oz lighter than the G19. This is of value for some when spending a day moving on your feet in an environment mostly free of humans. I shoot both like a boss. When the threat level increases w/ population density I prefer the higher cap gun and carry more reloads. Pretty simple in concept and execution.

mike r
I understand that, but you're contradicting yourself because you're advocating another gun for higher threats when you could just train into walking with the "better option" and have that all the time as opposed to when you think the threat increases.

I'm not sure you're wrong about needing less ammo in the outback, but I'm not sure you're right either.

I wasn't condemning your thought process, just offering up an alternative.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I don't know why not. My first handgun, in 1980, was a Ruger Speed Six in .357 Magnum. Of course, I started shooting target wadcutters through it.

A Speed Six is not a micro compact handgun.
Certainly not, but in 1980 it was one of the smallest, most compact 357 Mag's and in 1980 the switch to Wondernine's by LE, from revolvers was not well underway. In fact, I'm not sure it was even underway. Nothing like 357 J frames even existed then.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
it probanly depends on your hands, forearms, balance and the caliber.
I picked up a little pocket pistol that I shoot better with my dumb hand...
but its not what I would choose in a bad situation...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Go S&W, either Compact 2.0 or Shield Plus. Glock is a slab in hand.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
733 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 73 invisible), 2,958 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,764
Posts18,401,436
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.