-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
How much does buffer weight effect accuracy?

Asking because my 6ARC is being finicky with factory ammo, and I think I may need to add buffer weight to increase lock time?

I’ve shot it with a carbine H1 buffer, and a rifle buffer.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You may also want to check the spring to see if it has taken a set. One of my AR rifles didn't seem quite right, but I couldn't figure it out as it was still reliable. Sluggish and weird feeling during recoil and return. Pulled the spring and it was worn, having taken a good set. I replaced it with a flatwire.

Last edited by 4th_point; 06/17/21.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Will do.

John Stark.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Not enough difference to matter.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What makes you think that it affects accuracy at all?

MM

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
What makes you think that it affects accuracy at all?

MM

I think he said is affects "lock time". I don't know if he meant dwell time instead of lock time? I think if it were me, I'd be more focused on 100% reliable operation then start to focus on a good load. He may want to look into an AGB, like you run or different buffer weights. It needs to be reliable before it can be accurate.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Accuracy & the shooter being able to hit what he aiming at because of (???) lock time are 2 different things.

The buffer has nothing to do with lock time anyway; cycling faster or slower due to (big) buffer weight changes, will / could, affect movement of the rifle upon firing, but not lock time................that's a trigger / spring issue.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm gonna guess he meant the time lapse before the bolt unlocks, not "lock time" of the trigger.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
First off I’m hoping you used a different lower when you tried a rifle buffer and an H buffer. Just for those who don’t know;
A rifle buffer weighs 5.2 oz, is longer than a carbine buffer. The spring is 11.75-13.5” long.

Carbine H buffer weighs 3.8 oz and the spring is 10.0625-11.250”.

I’ve played with buffers on over gassed guns that pulled rims off and heavier buffers do increase the time spent for the case to drop enough pressure to release from the chamber wall. I’ve also played with buffer weights to try and make them shoot smoother. I’ve seen no improvements or even changes in accuracy.

That’s not to say a smoother system (think rifle gas, rifle buffer vs. carbine gas, carbine buffer) won’t be easier to shoot accurately. Could also change harmonics but I always look to make the gun shoot smooth and reliable then look elsewhere for accuracy tweaks.

And buffer weights are directly intended to reduce bolt bounce, not so much anything else, the rest should be dealt with at the gas port. Rifle weight matters when selecting buffer weight as long as the system is right.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
David,

Can you compare the overall length of the spring from the rifle in question, with another rifle that doesn't have issues? Or simply check OAL? Perhaps just swap springs between rifles?

I would not be surprised if you found that the spring is worn, but that in itself may not address the accuracy problem.

What do you mean by "finicky". Rifle operation, accuracy, or something else?

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 06/17/21.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW, there have been some issues with 6 ARC's in getting their functioning dialed in.

Sounds like some of the barrel manufacturers may still have some work to do on gas port size for different gas system lengths to get consistent reliability with factory ammo available.

If you're overgassed, I'd strongly suggest looking at an adjustable gas block; I like SLR best.

If you're undergassed, then obviously you need to remove buffer weight, reduce spring rate or both...................last resort would be increasing gas port size.

Sprinco makes several different color coded springs with rates both above & below "standard".

None of those things have a direct effect on "accuracy" per se', but may have an effect on how the gun moves around (either more or less) when fired.

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good post MM. I've been following the 6mm ARC. At first I thought it would be the bees knees, but after WOA posted the warnings about it, it made me research it a bit further. I examined the bolt face on some BCG's and that ring is awfully thin. I don't trust it for as much as I shoot. Generally I shoot approx 300+ rounds per weekend. Guys that don't shoot much, probably won't have issues, but there's definitely a deficiency or lack of robustness associated with the bolt on the 6 ARC. The ballistics are great, but you pay for it in longevity. Or lack thereof... Besides the fact that there have been other issues, like throat length and magazine length restrictions. Long bullet jump is a deficit of the design in an AR package. JMHO..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks MM.

Originally Posted by MontanaMan
FWIW, there have been some issues with 6 ARC's in getting their functioning dialed in.

Sounds like some of the barrel manufacturers may still have some work to do on gas port size for different gas system lengths to get consistent reliability with factory ammo available.

If you're overgassed, I'd strongly suggest looking at an adjustable gas block; I like SLR best.

If you're undergassed, then obviously you need to remove buffer weight, reduce spring rate or both...................last resort would be increasing gas port size.

Sprinco makes several different color coded springs with rates both above & below "standard".

None of those things have a direct effect on "accuracy" per se', but may have an effect on how the gun moves around (either more or less) when fired.

MM

John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have a 300 HAMR that we can use for deer. This is just a fun gun.

John Stark.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
David, they are all "fun guns"...

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I broke down and put an seeking adjustable gas block on my kids 6 ARC it was way over gassed. One day it shoot fine next day shoot shotgun groups. Get oddball flyers etc. Today it shot very consistent brass ejecting where it’s supposed to eject at 4 etc.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S
I broke down and put an seeking adjustable gas block on my kids 6 ARC it was way over gassed. One day it shoot fine next day shoot shotgun groups. Get oddball flyers etc. Today it shot very consistent brass ejecting where it’s supposed to eject at 4 etc.

This has been my issue with my ARC build as well. I was just at the range this morning testing it out, and I'm done chasing my tail, I'm ordering an adjustable gas block the weekend we get back home form vacation. I recorded myself shooting and the thing was ejecting brass that would hit the brass deflector and then land about the 1 o'clock area, and destroying brass. I've finally been able to get reloading items for it, but the once fired factory brass is beat to crap.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hudge
Originally Posted by 79S

This has been my issue with my ARC build as well. I was just at the range this morning testing it out, and I'm done chasing my tail, I'm ordering an adjustable gas block the weekend we get back home form vacation. I recorded myself shooting and the thing was ejecting brass that would hit the brass deflector and then land about the 1 o'clock area, and destroying brass. I've finally been able to get reloading items for it, but the once fired factory brass is beat to crap.

Sportsmans warehouse (wasilla) has Odin works adjustable gas block. $51 I paid $59 for my seekins at arctic ammo. Unless that $51 is going to make or break your va ca ca I go get while they have it. Lol..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Hudge
Originally Posted by 79S

Sportsmans warehouse (wasilla) has Odin works adjustable gas block. $51 I paid $59 for my seekins at arctic ammo. Unless that $51 is going to make or break your va ca ca I go get while they have it. Lol..

I guess my reply never got in before I hit enter.

Last edited by Hudge; 06/28/21.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In all seriousness I get it. Arctic ammo had this seekins one.. I’m pretty sure it was the only adjustable gas block they had. Unless they had other stashed somewhere else in that store..

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 7 invisible), 1,602 guests, and 736 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,547
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.