Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've been wanting to do some canning, thanks for all the advice gents. Might have to give this a try this year.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
"we trim ours well but a little silver skin etc. more or less dissolves into gelatin".This is very helpful advice. I really dislike silver skin. impossible to chew hard to seperate when cutting up meat. just a pain. but necessary to the muscle to function properly on the body.
martin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve been canning deer for years, been canning catfish this year. About half my deer gets cut into 1” cubes and used for deer bologna during the summer. I freeze it in 8 lb bags because it takes 8 lbs of deer and 2 lbs of fat for a batch of bologna. Any bags that don’t get used before hunting season gets close get canned. It’s a great way to use up meat before the season plus I don’t have to take time can it during hunting season. I use pint jars with 1/4 onion and bullion cube in each one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by srwshooter
I’ve been canning deer for years, been canning catfish this year. About half my deer gets cut into 1” cubes and used for deer bologna during the summer. I freeze it in 8 lb bags because it takes 8 lbs of deer and 2 lbs of fat for a batch of bologna. Any bags that don’t get used before hunting season gets close get canned. It’s a great way to use up meat before the season plus I don’t have to take time can it during hunting season. I use pint jars with 1/4 onion and bullion cube in each one.
I'm interested in the bologna recipe!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer

We use conyeager spice co bologna kits. You can buy them online. If you buy 6 at a time you will get them way cheaper. Follow the directions , it give a few ways to cook it. I do mine 2 hrs in the oven at 200deg, then water bath it in 170deg water until internal temp hits 156,then ice water until it goes under 100 deg. Some smoke it but it will leave a hard rind on the outside that I don’t like. If you use my method it will come out the same every time. I bet I’ve made 40-50 batches

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer

We use conyeager spice co bologna kits. You can buy them online. If you buy 6 at a time you will get them way cheaper. Follow the directions , it give a few ways to cook it. I do mine 2 hrs in the oven at 200deg, then water bath it in 170deg water until internal temp hits 156,then ice water until it goes under 100 deg. Some smoke it but it will leave a hard rind on the outside that I don’t like. If you use my method it will come out the same every time. I bet I’ve made 40-50 batches
Thank you for that info!! I'm going to have to give that a try.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I made venison bacon this year for the first time, I highly recommend it! It was super easy, just follow the recipe on the box. I think I had a little more meat than the recipe called for so the flavoring was a little weak. Next time I'm using a scale to be spot on. I might have to give the bologna a try

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
tag for a great thread

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Needed a quick lunch today. Took a jar of canned deer meat added one can of French onion soup and one can of Golden Mushroom soup. Heated it up and ate like a stew with Sweet rolls. Very delicious and quick of course. Love having canned deer on the shelf.

Almost forgot I did add a little Red River Ranch seasoning.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
if you have an electric coil or gas stove you're good. if it's a glass top it won't work.
Our glass top works fine. It's just that any heat adjustments are slower.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
if you have an electric coil or gas stove you're good. if it's a glass top it won't work.

Is there an echo in here? Pretty sure your said the exact thing a few months back..... Again, apparently your mileage varies from what is accepted as the norm

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Is there an echo in here? Pretty sure your said the exact thing a few months back..... Again, apparently your mileage varies from what is accepted as the norm
Could be. I didn't read through the replies older than Clinton's presidency. It got resurrected. It still works this year, too.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The quote you posted and replied to was the exact quote you posted before, just a slightly different reply word wise. So you actually pulled it from the day of the op, which is when both of us commented. I didn't go back further, you did. Go to the first page, it's all right there clear as day.
FYI it's been a lot longer than 9 months since Clinton was president. Just clarifying.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
This sounds delicious. Gotta get me a pressure cooker.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thinking of canning a bunch of ground moose (freezers are full). Any considerations for ground meat versus cubed?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Tag

FJB & FJT
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
the OLD timey way, cook the meat, then store in jars, most likely it was crock ware, then pour melted lard or fat on top, about 1" thick, was done this way before most of you were born.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Thinking of canning a bunch of ground moose (freezers are full). Any considerations for ground meat versus cubed?

Jordan,

A lot of people say you have to brown ground meat before canning. I don’t doubt that is best, but I’ve done it with just raw meat in a pressure canner and it’s not blown up yet. I just pack it in, add some salt and can away. Seems to work just fine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rickshaw
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Jordan,

A lot of people say you have to brown ground meat before canning. I don’t doubt that is best, but I’ve done it with just raw meat in a pressure canner and it’s not blown up yet. I just pack it in, add some salt and can away. Seems to work just fine.

Thanks, Rick. Does it crumble like "traditionally" cooked ground meat when you go to use it, or does it come out as a meat loaf?

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
It sticks together. You kind of have to dig it out of the jar. But it saves freezer space and works good for dishes that require loose ground meat. Just needs chopped up a little. Supposedly browning first makes it easier to get out.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
726 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,718 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.