Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#16188215 06/21/21
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Went through the last year - didn't really see this recently. If repeat - sorry my google-fu sucks.

Thinking I want (not need) a 375 of some sort. I love my Montana so natural thought was a Talkeetna from Kimber. I know - hard to find but I've got all the time in the world.

Question is - Talkeetna's worth looking for? Is there something else a guy should be open to?

I'm thinking H&H over Ruger but can be swayed and I would very much like it to be SS/Syn.

Intended use is to shoot paper mostly, maybe whitetails or Alaska, should those stars ever align.

TL/DR - Kimber Talkeetna or what?

Me

GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
I owned a Talkeetna, gave it to my son because I also had a Win 70 375 H&H, and I can tell you you cannot get more for your money than a Talkeetna. The Winchester 375 HH I have was a stainless synthetic that I put a McMillan stock on, had a barrel band installed plus a quality set of express sights and I have more money invested in it than I paid for the Talkeetna which has the same features.

The only reason I gave that one to my son was because he may get more use out of it than I will, plus he told me he liked it more than my Winchester.

Last edited by VaHunter; 06/22/21.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
There r a few beautiful 375’s on the African Hunting Forum for sale.

Roy

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Talkeetnas are tough to find these days as are m70 stainless classics in 375HH.

You might check out the sako kodiak or the browning xbolt 375HH.

I’m personally hoping to get a talkeetna at some point if things ever get back to “normal”, right now I have a m70 stainless classic 375HH which is a great gun but I’d rather have a talkeetna.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For the $$$, to say nothing about performance, why not give the Ruger a try ? It has all the features, one piece bolt, CRF and a proven tract record of solid reliably in the rugged game fields of Alaska.
If you don't like it sell it and get a Talkeetna.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan or African is solid.
Kimber Talkeetna, Caprivi, Wasilla or whatever they call it
is a Remchester pipe action with disguised washer for a primary recoil lug.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 458Win
For the $$$, to say nothing about performance, why not give the Ruger a try ? It has all the features, one piece bolt, CRF and a proven tract record of solid reliably in the rugged game fields of Alaska.
If you don't like it sell it and get a Talkeetna.

I had been thinking about it. Only available in 375 Ruger tho and I was thinking the H&H would be more desirable. Also I've found the stock on my Montana to be excellent and would assume the Talkeetna to be similar. I have no experience with the Houge on the Ruger. I am a Ruger fan tho.

Phil, I'm sure you've shared them before but any updated thoughts on Ruger vs H&H in 375 these days?

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I personally have two of each in camp, although most of my guides, including my son and daughter, prefer the Ruger.
Actual field performance is negligible, although the Ruger is a little faster with the same bullet weight. But the overall length of the little Ruger's is appreciated by everyone.

I agree the H&H has "nostalgia", but in the real world that means nothing ! The 375 Ruger has the same advantage over the 375 H&H as the .300 Win Mag had over the .300 H&H. And we all know how that played out .

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bell & Carlson now has a Medalist type stock for
the Ruger Mk II and Hawkeye.
About half the cost of a McMillan and world class quality.
Better than what Kimber puts on the Wasilla.
I detest the Hogue rifle stocks.
They should stick to pistol grips.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Riflecrank, Wasilla is a more appropriate name ! I also am not fond of the Hogue stocks but they do help mitigate recoil and when needed, slivers can be sliced off as fire starter.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

IC B3

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the info gents.

I have a line on a Talkeenta at a good price but I'm going to poke around for a Ruger a bit. See if I can find one at a better price than the Kimber.

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would imagine you should be able to find a Ruger cheaper than a Kimber Talkeetna.
Although I see prices on gunbroker show the older Ruger's bringing more than similar pre-64 M70's .

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm thinking so as well. Just need to actually find one.

Me

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
One advantage not mentioned is the availability of 375HH ammo. More loading available from more companies with a wider distribution over the world.You see that even more today with all the shortages. I can find H&H ammo, while Ruger is gone and vanished. Not much need in his part of the country, but; that illustrates my point. You can find 375HH ammo, in even places like this.

And more guns to choose from in H&H. For instance, You might look at Sako. Which is ironic, because the Ruger will fit more easily in more guns.

You know with guns, a person can take any side and debate all day long. I have to admit, I liked the idea of the 416 Ruger. I never got one, but; I came close.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

If the Talkeetna is as advertised......in my mind, it’s a “no brainer”. Speaking for myself, if I were buying another .375 I could avoid building one......simply by buying a Talkeetna. It’s already what I think of as the “near”- perfect package. All that said.....I would run a reamer in it making it an AI or Weatherby! Then.....it would the “perfect” package! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Talkeetna is a very nice rifle for packing but as I’m sure you know the light weight comes with a significant amount more recoil then a heavier pre 64 or Ruger guide gun etc.

I really like my Talkeetna but it’s certainly not fun at the range shooting 300gr accubonds at 2500 fps

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
The only thing I did not like about my Talkeetna was the 24" barrel. I think 21" or 22" to be a more user friendly length for the purposes the 375 H&H is typically used, although my hunting experience with the 375 is very limited.

I did not find the recoil of the Talkeetna any different from the Winchester 70 classic stainless I had, and the Winchester had a McMillan stock that was fairly light weight.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The kimber would be my choice.
It’s a lot of gun you might have to bed it but that’s easy.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by VaHunter
The only thing I did not like about my Talkeetna was the 24" barrel. I think 21" or 22" to be a more user friendly length for the purposes the 375 H&H is typically used, although my hunting experience with the 375 is very limited.

I did not find the recoil of the Talkeetna any different from the Winchester 70 classic stainless I had, and the Winchester had a McMillan stock that was fairly light weight.

While I haven’t hunted Alaska, I’ve hunted some fairly thick stuff here in Wyoming and haven’t found my 24” barrel to be a great handicap.

Another plus going to the Talkeetna is the forward sling swivel is on the barrel rather than the stock. This offers two potential advantages: when the rifle is shouldered, while that should be rare, the muzzle is considerably lower when in overhanging limbs/brush! It also prevents the front swivel from contacting your hand during recoil, should the stock slip because of a poor grip, or a wet slick stock!

A small item.....but, something to consider!

If kept as an H&H, not an improved H&H.....recoil should be a minor issue. Nine pounds or less ( hunting weight) with the improved versions, it is a bit aggressive when shot from the bench! But, certainly not brutal! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 06/27/21.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ruger rifles have been a hit and miss as far as accuracy for me. Some are fairly accurate and some not so much. One of the most accurate was a 280 I bought in '76 or '77. The last Hawkeye has been so-so - I'm still working on it. But there's been quite a bit of effort so far with mediocre results - I may re-barrel it. I have a 7mm RM, a tanger, that I got some decent accuracy after a bit of work.

I don't suppose a guy would need sub MOA with a 375, but still. I guess I don't look at rifles as tools, though I guess they are. I need to feel proud of what I'm shooting.

My pre-64 375 H&H AI shoots very well, by the way.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 204guy, 56 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,347
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.