Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Made some elk jerky... it always reminds me of my granddad, I've told this story before I'm sure but again on fathers day...

We lived next to our grandparents on the family acreage for my first 7 years of life. I remember my grandmother sitting under the chinaberry tree, snapping beans or plucking chickens from a hot tub, with her grandchildren around her.

My granddad would make jerky, salt and pepper it up, hang it on the barbed wire fence... he'd say the pepper was to keep the flies off, or at least you couldn't tell the fly chit from the pepper...

He had a rule, no snitching the jerky of the wire. It would take about a week to finish then he'd put it in a jar. He would go out sometimes after dark and check the jerky... and snitch some.

One night he came in spitt'n and gag'n... seems he had dropped a piece in the dark, felt around and found it, popped it in his mouth...

It was a dried cat turd...

Here's to granddad...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
laugh

Those damn cats!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Nice.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lol, I sure do miss Grandpa.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Makes you wonder what stories your grandchildren will tell about you.

Kent

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by krp
Made some elk jerky... it always reminds me of my granddad, I've told this story before I'm sure but again on fathers day...

We lived next to our grandparents on the family acreage for my first 7 years of life. I remember my grandmother sitting under the chinaberry tree, snapping beans or plucking chickens from a hot tub, with her grandchildren around her.

My granddad would make jerky, salt and pepper it up, hang it on the barbed wire fence... he'd say the pepper was to keep the flies off, or at least you couldn't tell the fly chit from the pepper...

He had a rule, no snitching the jerky of the wire. It would take about a week to finish then he'd put it in a jar. He would go out sometimes after dark and check the jerky... and snitch some.

One night he came in spitt'n and gag'n... seems he had dropped a piece in the dark, felt around and found it, popped it in his mouth...

Here's to granddad...

Did grandpa have any burbon to kill the taste of cat crap?
Great story, thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love stories like this.😀
I didn't really know my grandparents all that well, especially both of my Grandpa's, but it sounds like you had a good one.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Dennis81082
Originally Posted by krp

Here's to granddad...

Did grandpa have any burbon to kill the taste of cat crap?
Great story, thanks.

Granddad was LDS never saw him drink, dad didn't continue with the Mormons we were baptists.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never knew my grandfather on my Dad’s side. He had passed before I was born.

My Mom’s dad was a dandy. He was a butcher in the Navy during WW2. He had a 3 acre garden and an orchard. He grew his own tobacco for his pipe and plug. Later, he told me of the time he grew marijuana, but did see big deal so quit growing it. Had a still and cooked off a couple batches each year. Had chickens, hogs and cattle. Straightened bent nails and never through anything away unless it was absolutely shot. Had one of the finest packs of Walker fox hounds in the country. This was his one luxury and he would travel all over to multiple states to compete. He loved playing cards and hated to lose.

He was not the most lovable Man, but he was one to be respected and a role model.

CK
IC B3

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Those old timers were the backbone of our country and could handle about anything.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brother Kent;
Top of the morning to you my brother, I hope the day down in Arizona is as bright and fair as it is here so far.

Happy Father's Day to you sir!

Thanks for the chuckle, for the memories of my own family that were stirred and for the bit of heritage from your's.

All the best to you all today.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
🤮

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Brother Dwayne, a happy father's day to you and your girls. It's hot in the valley so I'm up in the mountains where it's just warm.

Kent

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Love it Kent !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Funny story.

I miss my Grandparents. Especially my Mom's Dad. I had a pretty close relationship with him in his older years.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by krp

Here's to granddad...

I love those bottle holders!

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K

Smaller fishing right now.

Kent

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K

My buddy this morning on the lot next door... he's safe from being made into jerky if he stays in the cabins.

Kent

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Stay in the cabins is right, he looks tasty otherwise.

Great story Kent. I missed it the other day. Glad you posted picks of Mr Jerky on the Hoof.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 18 invisible), 2,064 guests, and 878 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.