Print Thread
Hop To
J
jimy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have a 13 year old male golden that is one of the great ones, I have had trouble finding a suitable mate, what are the down falls of breading older dogs?
He runs and swims daily his health is great , he doesn't have the stamina he used to but the heart is still in the game.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Small litters. You'll only end up with one or two pup litters

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don’t know if that’s a universal truth. My farm manager just bred his bitch to a 9 or 10 year old male. Dogs tied only once and she had 11 pups.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by jimy
I have a 13 year old male golden that is one of the great ones, I have had trouble finding a suitable mate, what are the down falls of breading older dogs?
He runs and swims daily his health is great , he doesn't have the stamina he used to but the heart is still in the game.

I love to see Goldens in the field. Find a comparable mate and breed that boy!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
If he is one of the great ones it is important to preserve those bloodlines. I would have no hesitation in using an old stud if he was in good health.

IC B2

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
At about six years old I had my dogs sperm taken by a Vet and frozen....he said the sperm was good and I got like 6 tubes.

A13 year old dog sounds a little old the Vet can tell how virile he sperm is. I bought a female and a few years after his passing I had her artificially inseminated....I still miss my buddy and now I have a dog that is pretty much a clone of my dog with a little different personality.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by LFC
At about six years old I had my dogs sperm taken by a Vet and frozen....he said the sperm was good and I got like 6 tubes.

A13 year old dog sounds a little old the Vet can tell how virile he sperm is. I bought a female and a few years after his passing I had her artificially inseminated....I still miss my buddy and now I have a dog that is pretty much a clone of my dog with a little different personality.

what does that cost? Does the vet keep the sample until you need it?

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Dog that age prob doesn't have a viable sperm count. Most often don't. But, never know.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Probably not as big a deal with studs as it can be with bitches. As mentioned above, less viable sperm may make for a smaller litter or none at all.

I tried to breed a 9 or 10 year old GSP bitch, who had been in great health, that I really wanted a pup out of. I had tried several time years earlier when I had found a stud with the bloodline that I liked but had been unsuccessful each time. The last time I tried, I thought we were successful but soon thereafter she became lethargic and drank incessantly prompting a visit to the vet. She had pyometra (infected uterus) and had to had to have an emergency spay. It was complicated by much more than usual bleeding and we just about lost her. Fortunately, she pulled through and I was able to wander the CRP fields with her for 2 more seasons before I had to have her put down.

Some things are not meant to be. Rosie was my "once in a lifetime" GSP... great hunting companion!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I was going to breed my 5 year old Griff. I spoke to a few experienced griff breeders and my vet who treats hunting dog s often. All advised too old to breed as hips were not pliable enough. Two other breeders advised it was ok. I opted not to breed

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by ribka
I was going to breed my 5 year old Griff. I spoke to a few experienced griff breeders and my vet who treats hunting dog s often. All advised too old to breed as hips were not pliable enough. Two other breeders advised it was ok. I opted not to breed

I'd find another vet. LOTs of dogs are bred past 5 yo

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ghostman
Originally Posted by ribka

I'd find another vet. LOTs of dogs are bred past 5 yo

First breeding of a bitch past 5 years old is inherently more risky, to the point that my breed club (in the Netherlands) won’t approve such a breeding.

If it’s not the first breeding, they age out after 7 years of age.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had a female Beagle that didn't start until 6yo, had 3 litters, last one at 10yo.

First two litters went great. 6 and 8. Last litter had 6, but one stillborn and two faded. (I don't believe in tube feeding sporting dogs, survival of only the fit and strong seems to make sense to me.) So only 3 lived.

Mamma was healthy and strong the whole time, but I'd say 10yo for the Dam is too old.

Used to raise English bulldogs, and we'd stop those girls at about 6yo... but that was a ridiculous breed... don't get me started! They're a happening!

I think it has very largely to do with the health of the dog in question. But as was said, far more for the dam than the sire.

If I was in your situation, I'd find a great female and try for it, without question.

- - Steve
Rainshadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
www.rain-shadow.com

Mountain Lion Calling products, instruction, & stories!

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
817 members (06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 77 invisible), 3,239 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,713
Posts18,400,305
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.