Print Thread
Hop To
C
colodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
We're having a bumper crop of carpenter bees this year and I think I've found a solution. 32 H&R shotshells.
I have a bunch of 22LR shot shells but that's too easy.
I was planning on loading a gas check on top of the powder and on top of the shot with a slight crimp but I simplified it a bit.
A load of 2.0 gr Titegroup and a cardboard wad punched from a cereal box over the powder. Scoop the case nearly full with #12 shot and a smear of silicone caulk over the top.

I tried 1gr of Titegroup but that was too light, 1.5 gr was better but 2.0 gr burns clean and puts down a nice round pattern at 8' from a Charter Arms 3" revolver.
86-87 gr of #12 shot per load.

These were loaded single cartridges, the next test will be to try them with another shell along side to see if they stay in tact.

Look out Carpenter bees!

It's going to be for snakes on my woods walks too.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That sounds like fun.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No leading?

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
C
colodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
The bore isn't squeaky clean after firing but it's no worse than shooting a few cast bullets through it. That's how I finished my range session.
My test load with 1 gr of powder was the dirtiest by far. Not enough powder to burn properly and clear the bore out I suspect.
I had thought a gas check over the powder would be a good idea but I would have had to run them through the sizing die to get the fit right.

Would a gas check turn sideways upon firing anyway?
Would it make any difference?
It's a relatively low pressure load so why not a thin cardboard wad to keep the powder gathered?

I wondered if I'd be overpowering the load and have a hole in the center of the target pattern from too much pressure. Nope.

Overthinking it a bit but I don't mind being cautious and looking at things from a why not perspective.

I needed a break from working on house chores anyway....

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
This is always a fun topic.

I purchase vegetable wads for over the powder, and gas checks for over the shot fron Sage Outdoors. Great people, great service.

I use a similar load in 327 brass. 2.5 or 3 gr of Titegroup, veggie wad, fill the case with #12 shot and crimp a gas check over the top. The pattern will cover a paper plate at 10 yds with a four inch revolver.

I also bought the components in 41 cal but have not loaded any for the 41 yet.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I made some shot shells for various cartridges. I went even easier. I started with a supply of #11 shot from one of the outdoor stores, Midway likely, maybe Cabelas.

I used a modest charge of a faster powder, Titegroup usually. I’d look to the Speer data for their capsules.

Then to simplify, I just use a layer of fingernail polish on top, no wad, no capsule, no nothing. Just let it sit & dry, two layers if needed.

One other thing I’ve found, not just these type, but some shotshells don’t do well in the cylinder while firing other rounds, like a mixed cylinder. For this reason I’d rather load separately, or in reverse, have the shot shell loaded to fire 1st, where needed. I’m thinking about when I fired 2-3 , 38 +p in my scandium revolver & had a capsule break in the next cylinder.

I’m easy on snakes too, but ready for the venomous type.

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
145 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,438 guests, and 823 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,904
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.