Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
If you could go anywhere for a big Buffalo, and good plains game, which country would it be? My FIL is planning a 2023 hunt for us, and the company he books through will give us several options. He already shot a Buff in SA, and he just got back from Botswana where he hunted Leopard. I think he’d prefer to hunt another country for Buff, and he said he wasn’t overly impressed with the plains game he saw on his leopard Hunt. I know he’d like to hunt Tanzania, but he also mentioned Zambia and Zim. He says Tanzania is Mecca for Buff, but it also the most expensive. I’m just curious what your opinions are when it comes time for us to pick a destination.

BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Zambia in a heart beat.

He went over yonder way
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tanzania. So many unique other animals available would b e hard to pass. Buffalo are monsters.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you included the Massailand on a trip to Tanzania, you'd be in safari heaven!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What’s Uganda like these days?

He went over yonder way
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tanzania and Zambia are both incredible. I took a 47” buff in TZ. Zambia is as good in the right areas. I saw about every plains game animal in TZ as well. And yes it’s more expensive but certainly worth it if you choose the right safari company. I’m headed back to Zambia this year.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for the responses. Looks like we are going to Zambia. The company booking the trip says there’s some great Buffalo in Zambia, and it’s cheaper……. Somehow my MIL found out, and it’s now a 10 day big game until, followed by meeting my wife, MIL, and my daughters in Joburg, and spending a couple days at Vic Falls and Kirkmans Kamp. Not sure how that just happened! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
May as well also look into Zim if Vic Falls is on your travel plans. . The BVC has great Buffalo and plains game hunting.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I realize you said it looks like you’re going to Zambia, but for your group including the ladies you’d do well to consider a hunt in Matetsi, which is just an hour from Vic Falls. Mark Young, Mark’s Exclusive Adventures, books for Gary Hopkins in Matetsi unit 1. Great area with plentiful buffalo, sable and the other common Zim plains game. Great lodge and just a 45 minute drive from Vic Falls. It’s a great option for anyone taking their wife along on a buffalo hunt.

Last edited by CAelknuts; 07/03/21.
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Uganda is the best. I have hunted most of the places in Africa - Zim, Zambia, RSA, Namibia, Tanz, Ethiopia and Uganda is easily the best in terms of quality of buffalo, plenty of other game to hunt and ease of getting there. Try Christian Werth's outfit.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Heeler
What’s Uganda like these days?

Outstanding. Great buff, safe and lots of game, great people and easy country to travel in. I love it

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
The ladies will be meeting us after the hunt. We are hunting the Luanwga Valley.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by jetjockey
The ladies will be meeting us after the hunt. We are hunting the Luanwga Valley.

Which Luangwa concession and PH’s?

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by CAelknuts

Chifunda camp and Johnny DuPlooy.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

You are going to have a fantastic hunt! Johnny is excellent and they’re about as organized as a safari company can be. I’d love to hunt with Muchinga again and am seriously considering another hunt with them next year. First class outfit!

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J

You are going to have a fantastic hunt! Johnny is excellent and they’re about as organized as a safari company can be. I’d love to hunt with Muchinga again and am seriously considering another hunt with them next year. First class outfit!

Thanks. My FIL books all of his hunts through The Hunting Consortium. Bob hasn’t steered him wrong yet, and he has some beautiful animals from all over the world to show for it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The girlfriend and I studied this and ultimately ended up in Zambia, leaving in three weeks. We're hunting Buffalo, Hippo and Croc along with plains game. We settled there so that we could combine the trip with some time in Victoria Falls. Not sure you could go wrong with any of the destinations listed here however.

Jim

"The skillful woodsman who knows his game, and who gets close, can keep himself in venison or moose meat with a rifle most of us would consider entirely inadequate." - Jack O'Connor
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by MoTurkeyHunter
The girlfriend and I studied this and ultimately ended up in Zambia, leaving in three weeks. We're hunting Buffalo, Hippo and Croc along with plains game. We settled there so that we could combine the trip with some time in Victoria Falls. Not sure you could go wrong with any of the destinations listed here however.

It sounds like you’ll probably be hunting in the Luangwa Valley. With whom are you hunting, and on which concession? Or will you be somewhere in the Kafue Region? Vic Falls isn’t that far from the southern end of Kafue, but I hope you’re flying to the falls, as the road to get there is terrible unless it’s been rebuilt in the last couple years.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If I may be forgiven for a slight digression, so many posters have mentioned Victoria falls. Why is it so important as a add-on or "must see"? From the little I know it seems very developed, lots of people and commercial activities. Nothing related to a natural or wilderness experience, more of a theme park version of "Wild Africa". Or is my impression incorrect? What is the attraction to those who go there?

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by castnblast
If I may be forgiven for a slight digression, so many posters have mentioned Victoria falls. Why is it so important as a add-on or "must see"? From the little I know it seems very developed, lots of people and commercial activities. Nothing related to a natural or wilderness experience, more of a theme park version of "Wild Africa". Or is my impression incorrect? What is the attraction to those who go there?

Victoria Falls, even though developed, it a quintessential African destination. I’ve been there 3 times, all in the 1980’s, and would love to go back ‘one more time’. If I make it there again, we will stay at the ‘Grand Old Lady’, which is the Victoria Falls Hotel. I’ve dined and enjoyed afternoon tea there, but never stayed at the hotel. It it a reminder of what Africa was during colonial times. During high water flow periods (generally April-June) the falls are spectacular.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
627 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,857 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,130
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.