Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#16167756 06/13/21
Bugger Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
After reading an article (or maybe it was here) by Mule Deer on the 17 Hornet, I bought a CZ bolt in 17 Hornet.
The first year I had it I had not yet developed any loads for it. Last year, I left it at home. This year I was determined to get some loads developed. The following groups were shot one after the other, all with the same scope setting. I think I will be taking this PD shooting this year. My wind ap says the wind was out of the North north west at 10 - 13 mph. My range is East to West.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Bugger; 06/13/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
There you go!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I bought a CZ this year also in .17 Hornet. Had hoped for a varmint model but all I could round up was a sporter model. Thoroughly impressed with that little rifle and not upset that it has the smaller barrel. I am working through a few hundred rounds of factory ammo to ''make brass" but other then a few rounds to sight in most have been fired at gophers, rock chucks, etc. As long as the wind is mild it adds a good 100 yards to my .17 HMR.

I have an MGM .17 Hornet barrel coming for my contender also that is a bull barrel. I thought it might be nice to have two guns to rotate but it almost seems silly now as even the little CZ doesn't heat up much with the hornet.

Bugger Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MedRiver
I bought a CZ this year also in .17 Hornet. Had hoped for a varmint model but all I could round up was a sporter model. Thoroughly impressed with that little rifle and not upset that it has the smaller barrel. I am working through a few hundred rounds of factory ammo to ''make brass" but other then a few rounds to sight in most have been fired at gophers, rock chucks, etc. As long as the wind is mild it adds a good 100 yards to my .17 HMR.

I have an MGM .17 Hornet barrel coming for my contender also that is a bull barrel. I thought it might be nice to have two guns to rotate but it almost seems silly now as even the little CZ doesn't heat up much with the hornet.

The factory ammo in mine is as accurate or at least as accurate as my best handloads - I'm taking the factory ammo and use them on Prairie Dogs and cotton tails. Mine is the sporter model and I'm very happy with the accuracy!

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bugger: I am glad your CZ 17 Hornet is pleasing you and that you will soon be getting after the Prairie Dogs with it!
By the way what scope (power) are you using on that CZ 17 Hornet?
And I assume those targets were shot at 100 yards?
My Ruger 77/17 Hornet has a Weaver 4x16 variable scope on it and I am well pleased with the accuracy I am getting so far with factory ammo (Hornady 20 grain V-Max).
Enjoy your nifty Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a 527 17 hornet varmint with over 5000 rds. down the tube. it still shoots 1/2" groups and has killed a ton of p=dogs. Weaver classic v 6x24 scope on it. All that has been shot in it is factory.

MOLON LABE
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by boatammo
I have a 527 17 hornet varmint with over 5000 rds. down the tube. it still shoots 1/2" groups and has killed a ton of p=dogs. Weaver classic v 6x24 scope on it. All that has been shot in it is factory.

Frogsnacks!

Thats expensive!

I am MAGA.
Bugger Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Bugger: I am glad your CZ 17 Hornet is pleasing you and that you will soon be getting after the Prairie Dogs with it!
By the way what scope (power) are you using on that CZ 17 Hornet?
And I assume those targets were shot at 100 yards?
My Ruger 77/17 Hornet has a Weaver 4x16 variable scope on it and I am well pleased with the accuracy I am getting so far with factory ammo (Hornady 20 grain V-Max).
Enjoy your nifty Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

My range is 100 meters. I planted a fast growing tree for shade right where my sit down bench was to be 8 years or so ago. I stepped off the range from my target frame. Later when I had a range finder, I found that my steps were calibrated in meters rather than yards. I'm over-all please with my range, it is protected on the South by trees and on the North there are trees and buildings. The trees and the buildings don't block all the wind, but I think it helps. I wish I had the $'s to build an under-ground range, especially when it is winter, since I'm getting to be a real whimp when it comes to shooting at the range in inclement weather!
I have stand-up bench at 50 meters for rifles with iron sights - thought this was necessary for the 416 Rigby I had. I now use it for my rifles with iron sights and revolvers. I have another target frame set up at 25 yards for making initial adjustments on scopes and sights.
I have a Zeiss 3x9x50 Terra on the CZ527 - I like it. The only improvement I would ask regarding the set-up is the trigger is slightly mushy compared to some other varmints rifles. Maybe I could do some tweaking, but it's not bad enough for me to mess with it - maybe I will some day.
As you noted factory ammo is amazingly accurate.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I like the sound of your range and would like to see a photo of your stand up bench if you have one. Post here or pm me and I'll send my phone number or email address.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a range? With trees? To block the wind? Never heard of such.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Jim
Not when You can factory right and sell the brass.
I had a pair of 527 hornets but sold one as I'm getting a cooper in 17 AH redone to 17 HH. Between the 2 I shot and sold the brass, Over 9500 rds.

MOLON LABE
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Are you having success in locating ammo currently?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I just drove from Miles City Montana to Childress, TX the past couple days and stopped at every shop along the way that was open. Could have bought a fair amount of .17 Hornet factory ammo.

Even took mine along in case I had a roadside opportunity...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A quick u-turn, a knock on a door and about 30 minutes left a dozen or so dogs recycling on the prairie south of Miles City.

Probably the only one that ever pulled up in a Prius to ask permission smile

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I was starting to laugh, about a hunter and shooter driving a Prius and especially living in Montana....

but then I thought, driving from Mile City to Childress TX....at current gas prices...

maybe the joke is on me instead....

and I like your CZ 527 also.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yeah, the other option was a 1/2 Ton suburban or a 3/4 ton crew cab. Easy decision for me smile

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MedRiver
Yeah, the other option was a 1/2 Ton suburban or a 3/4 ton crew cab. Easy decision for me smile

I have a 4 cylinder 08 Camry I picked up a year or so ago... Hwy driving it gets 33 to 37 mpg...

I find myself driving it more and more as the fuel prices climb...

This one has a manual trans, and spent most of its life being a towed vehicle behind a motor home.. so I got it with 120K on the odometer but about
60K on the engine...

I doubt if you and I are the only two guys living this scenario.....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
643 members (12344mag, 257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 74 invisible), 2,925 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,666
Posts18,399,365
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.