Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Yesterday I had a hunt that will never happen again (at least for me), I was hunting for Rock Chucks in one of my Honey Holes that I only visit once a year, I came over the rise where a lake normally appears and was stunned !!!!!! not a drop of open water.

I noticed a couple Rock Chucks on their normal rock in front of the dry lake bed, then scanning the area with my bino's and saw a crow chowing down on an old duck. very unusual for a crow not to fly off when you stop your truck but this is a very remote area.

motion caught my eye and I saw it was 2 coyotes !!!!!!!!!! I ranged it threw my gun up and shot the closest coyote, I searched for the second in my rifle scope and found nothing, switched back to my bino's and was surprised he had vanished, The crow was still there (dumbest crow ever), shot the crow then swung over and shot the biggest Rock Chuck all in about 30 seconds !!!!!!!!!!!!

All was not good though, in Utah at least this is the worst drought I have ever seen in my lifetime. not a drop of water anywhere so I left most of the Chucks alone and hope they make it through to next year

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds dry alright. Hope the chucks survive it.

Had a similar experience bowhunting elk years ago. I was in the herd trying to pull the bull out of the brush with a cow call when a cougar stalked in on me. The cat scared the elk when they winded him. 45 minutes later and just 100 yards away I caught a bear coming in. This is what makes great memories hunting.

LOL
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Roy, did you change your drawers when you got home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by texken
Roy, did you change your drawers when you got home.

LMAO

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Getting 3 species on 1 stand is very cool.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Boatanchor: Wow!
Good for you and praise the remote site where it happened.
The few Rock Chucks and Crows around my region are double wary.
Reminds me of a Hunt I had some years ago in central Montana - I killt Rock Chucks, Prairie Dogs and Ground Squirrels off of the same huge ranch all in one day.
Yeah - good to have great memories of Hunts.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Sounds dry alright. Hope the chucks survive it.

Had a similar experience bowhunting elk years ago. I was in the herd trying to pull the bull out of the brush with a cow call when a cougar stalked in on me. The cat scared the elk when they winded him. 45 minutes later and just 100 yards away I caught a bear coming in. This is what makes great memories hunting.

That's nuts. Closest I've ever come was an owl divebombing me while calling at night/dusk.

Me

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Yikes! Hopefully you don’t have to contend with many fires this year!

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Tom_in_VT
Yikes! Hopefully you don’t have to contend with many fires this year!

We have had plenty of fires so far locally but the worst is the California fires..........they are sending Utah all of their smoke, even worse the Californicates are fleeing and moving here with the ungodly BLM attitude !!!!!!!!!!!

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Arizona is also in a Mega drought. We had wedding plans to be wed beside the most beautiful mountain stream full of trout. But it has been bone dry for 6 months. I was catching GILA trout there a year ago. This is a very trying time for our wildlife.

Bob

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 70 invisible), 2,476 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,681
Posts18,456,303
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.