Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a copy of the National Intelligencer, from 1867. An article goes on about this weapon that was so powerful, if owned by just one nation, that nation could dominate the world. Turned out to be the metallic cartridge and repeating rifle. I’ll see if I can dig it up.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
I have a copy of the National Intelligencer, from 1867. An article goes on about this weapon that was so powerful, if owned by just one nation, that nation could dominate the world. Turned out to be the metallic cartridge and repeating rifle. I’ll see if I can dig it up.

That was pretty huge in 1867 as I think the French beat everyone to that draw. Kinda like being the only kid on the block with an A-Bomb. And the battle at Gettysburg was only four years prior. Can you imagine the advantage a cartridge firing infantry rifle would have provided an army there?

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, someone wrote a novel concerning some people using a time machine to bring modern rifles to the Confederates. They won the war in that scenario.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by S99VG
Originally Posted by JoeMartin

That was pretty huge in 1867 as I think the French beat everyone to that draw. Kinda like being the only kid on the block with an A-Bomb. And the battle at Gettysburg was only four years prior. Can you imagine the advantage a cartridge firing infantry rifle would have provided an army there?

I'll see if I can dig it up in the morning and copy it.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Spencer and the Henry were both used during the Civil war.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Its when Savages were made in China.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buford's dismounted Calvary won the day with Spencer carbines and held the high ground at Cemetery Ridge the first day of the battle of Gettysburg.

The Henry was referred to by the Rebs as those Damn Yankee rifles they loaded on Sunday and shot all week.

Neither could be produced fast enough to outfit even a fraction on the Union forces though so although they were they represented the future of modern warfare at the time they were not used widely during the civil war

The US army had a hard time adjusting to and adopting the whole volume of fire notion of shoulder fired repeating weapons for a long time after the civil war. Pretty much until the Kraig was adopted in the 1890's

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's why they adopted the single shot Springfield trapdoor after the war of Yankee aggression.

wyo1895
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The best book I have ever read about the morning of the first day of the battle of Gettysburg is "Morning at Willoughby Run" by Richard Shue. He has a section in the book about controversies, one of which is whether or not Buford's soldiers had Spencer carbines. On June 3, 1863 Spencer applied to the Army Ordnance to manufacture 11,000 carbines. The application was approved six weeks later -after the battle of Gettysburg. Shue cites evidence and concludes that Buford may have had a small number of Spencer rifles (not carbines) but for the most part they were armed with single shot breechloaders. Still more firepower than rifled muskets. And no doubt that Buford, and then later the Union First Corps, held off a much superior force long enough for the Union 11 Corps to occupy Cemetery Hill and secure the high ground for the Union army.

Last edited by Jaaack; 06/20/21.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Jaaack
The best book I have ever read about the morning of the first day of the battle of Gettysburg is "Morning at Willoughby Run" by Richard Shue. He has a section in the book about controversies, one of which is whether or not Buford's soldiers had Spencer carbines. On June 3, 1863 Spencer applied to the Army Ordnance to manufacture 11,000 carbines. The application was approved six weeks later -after the battle of Gettysburg. Shue cites evidence and concludes that Buford may have had a small number of Spencer rifles (not carbines) but for the most part they were armed with single shot breechloaders. Still more firepower than rifled muskets. And no doubt that Buford, and then later the Union First Corps, held off a much superior force long enough for the Union 11 Corps to occupy Cemetery Hill and secure the high ground for the Union army.

Interesting and given the dates you provide I would be surprised if Buford had any Spencers, less they were bought privately. I am no scholar of the Civil War, not by a long shot, but it's always been my perspective that Buford's success largely had to do with his leadership, ability to square up a situation, his tactical skills and, in the face of harms way, willingness to make a "command" decision and act on it. The latter of which seems a rare thing in these days of ours. Even perhaps a rare quality in the lineage of the human species.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fellow history Buffs. I like that. I suspect there were Spencers on the field that day or that story would not have survived this long. How many and in what configuration could be debated endlessly and in reality it probably wasn’t the weapons that won that day anyway. It was men like Buford and Reynolds and their men who carried the day. There were great men on both sides of the fence. A shame all of that American humanity was wasted trying to kill each other.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Supposedly Robert E. Lee was indecisive that day. He had recently lost a couple of his best generals and JEB Stuart was no where to be seen. Stuart did show up later.
The decision to invade the North was probably a bad one but then again you can't win a war fighting only in the defensive. You have to take the battle to the enemy.
As far as the quality of leadership in the U.S. military is concerned it may be pretty bad at the upper levels. Emperor Obama was canning the higher ranking officers who disagreed with his extreme left wing ideals. I've heard that chairman uncle Joe Biden is purging the military of people who don't toe the party line.

wyo1895
[email protected]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wyo1895
Emperor Obama was canning the higher ranking officers who disagreed with his extreme left wing ideals. I've heard that chairman uncle Joe Biden is purging the military of people who don't toe the party line.

This was Trumps biggest failing, not cleaning house.

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by S99VG
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by Rick99
So why would you advertise your product in the hands of a Chinese?

I’ll say it. Arthur Savage was a weird duck.

Now that's interesting. Who knows anything about Savage the man? Are there any tales to be told of him like one would say of Harry Pope? We know the places, dates and things he did but that's the boring history. And we tend to take those data points and construct a personality. But frankly I don't know if I would consider him friend or foe. Is there a bio somewhere or does it really matter? Maybe he was as gregintenn put it, "a weird duck." I can't say I know any better.

You're right. That wasn't fair. I've obviously never met him, I was only judging the odd advertising we see from his company back when he was around. Surely he had a hand in it, or at least the final o.k. on it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had always heard and read the Buford had mainly Sharps 1863 breach loading carbines. I had never heard of the possibilities of Spencer's on the field that day.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

620 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 80 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,310
Posts18,449,168
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.