Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Boxcarman
I never dreamed years ago that losing your hearing would be such a handicap. Boy can it be frustrating. Especially young girls on the phone when they call to tell you of a dentist or doctor appointment. They talk with a higher pitch voice and they talk so fast it's impossible to make out what they're saying. I use the wife as an interpreter or just let her make the calls. I tell them my problem and to speak louder and slower and it works for about two or three words and they're right back to their fast talking. Geez, or they repeat themselves without raising their voice. I tell them you can repeat yourself all day long. but until you raise your voice I CAN'T HEAR YOU. It does little good. So fell'as, those of you that can still hear, do all you can to keep your hearing. And you guys that have responded, thanks for helping me out on choosing a pair of muffs. It's appreciated. BCM

Verbatim boxcarman you nailed it on the head. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
BP-B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

MB, I have all your hearing problems, now add Mexican girls who talk 3 times faster and have a accent, Rio7

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Lifelong sinus sufferer.
Wore earpro as a kid shooting, on ranges.
Not when hunting.

No electronic ones back then.

Work.in a loud factory. Wear earpro religously.

Tinnitus noticed in 96. Watch alarm went off (buds watch ). Couldnt hear it.

Two yrs ago listening to an album some notes vanished on guitar lead. Gone. Never to return.

I have non electronic Surefire plugs, but am looking for some blaze orange 3M amplified muff type for deer season. None to be had around these parts. Checked some places to order, not in stock.

Last edited by hookeye; 06/21/21.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Have longstanding sensorineural hearing loss: some from childhood illness - most from noise exposure. The degree of impairment shooters suffer varies. However, as it worsens the curve gets steep, ie., each successive loss of capacity results in much greater disability. The noise of even one CF round would mess me up for nearly a year. That's what happened last time, anyway, and am not about to repeat.

So there is no driving into any shooting range without muffs or plugs on. And when I'm shooting both plugs and electronic muffs are SOP.

The inexpensive Howard Leights are very popular at the clubs. They work nicely for rifle, pistol, and clay target shooting. When I'm teaching pistol I wear them without plugs, because sound intensity decrements as inverse square of distance.

Bought a set of MSA-Sordins. Fidelity is much higher, and they are comfortable enough to be worn all day. I use them exclusively for hunting. And they allow me to fire braked rifles from our blinds out back. They cannot restore my direction sense, so grouse/woodcock hunting is no longer possible for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Suggest the howard leights.

The pro ears are excellent. The fidelity, lack of wind noise, and fact they don’t cut-out voice at all despite shot suppression, are desirable. But, they are full sized, and occ. bother me shooting low gun shotgunning so usually only use them in winter (hey, they’re warm, so). Use them for rifle and pistol mainly, where, again, if taking a class or shooting a match with earpro on, you’ll miss nothing but the hearing loss, they’re truly great.

The caldwells i’ve had (none in past few years; may have improved), where perfectly serviceable, inexpensive, but the cut-out is 100’% at the shot and lags after the shot a few milliseconds, and lose some awareness around me, which could be dangerous 1:1,000,000 times if someone’s trying to het my attention.

The howard leights are a bit nicer, and even a tad smaller than the caldwells. Don’t know how their latest circuitry works/improved, but it was decent in the past. So, for compact size, price, and decent, would be a suggestion.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Many years ago, when in US Army Basic Training, we recruits were issued ear plugs in a small plastic “pill bottle”. They didn’t fit well, and I don’t remember any Drill Instructor ever trying to enforce their use. Most of us didn’t use them, and we shot a lot with our M-14’s.
Later in life I shot a lot of rifles and handguns without any hearing protection. Even later in life, I started wearing muffs because I realized I was getting hard of hearing. I now have to wear hearing aids if I want to converse with others. And hearing aids don’t work nearly as good as my born-with ears, either in directionality or outside noise control such as wind!
Do whatever is necessary to protect your hearing, even while hunting. You will be very thankful you did, later in life!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use and like the axil rechargeable ear buds with amplification.

Who is John Galt?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
677 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 2,909 guests, and 1,414 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.