Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Cabelas was my place to get quality outdoor clothing for years. But BP ruined/cheapened the line & kept the same high prices that quality stuff brings.

But, was never in my interest for reasonable prices for ammo or loading components. That said, this day in time might have in desperation & trying to find something, anywhere, including them.

OTOH, in these times of hundreds of thousands of buyers electronically shopping & grabbing what they can, I can fully expect glitches & otherwise.

Hell, I threw my hat in the ring last week to grab a small portion of a lot of 12,000 bullets & I was the 5th or 6th reply. I was too late. Disappointed, but not angry as it's just the way things are.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You guys can FUGG the hell out of Cabela's and Sportsman's all you want. Leaves more Tikka superlites for me...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Originally Posted by BIG_JOE
Cabelas was a good company. Then Bass Pro bought them and ruined them. Cut from inventory the good things and brought in worthless junk.

Agreed.....and it is a true shame ...Hb

Yep genuinely sad. Dick must be spinning in his grave.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by AU7MM08
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Scheels is going to over shadow them all

I've heard good things about Scheels but I haven't been to one.

I’m a regular at Scheels. It’s what Cabelas was 15 years ago. Used to go to and buy at Cabelas often. Been close to a year since I’ve been in Cabelas.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I seldom passed up a stop at the Cabelas in Lehi Utah on my trips north on I-15. Now I hit the Scheels in the south end of the Salt Lake valley.
Great stock, helpful staff, good prices, employee owned.
Wish there was one closer to me.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hikerbum
I avoid the big box stores for hunting and gun equipment if at all possible. Support the local small shop.

Good in theory, but pickings are slim at the one I usually shop at, AND they are apparently locked into one jobber, so if the jobber doesn’t handle something, it’s “unavailable”. They got pretty snippy with me a while back about ordering a rifle.

I called them a couple weeks ago about a S&W I wanted. They had it, and I bought it. They were my primary source for primers and powder, such as they had anyway, but then HAZMAT fees went down and online suppliers carried much more stuff, so I branched out.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
+1 on Scheels, I buy bullets from them frequently, decent prices and fast shipping. Agreed Bass Pro clothing is Chinese crap, bought a couple pair of their cargo pants and they fell apart in less than a year.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

I try support smaller business when I can but when I was looking for my Shield Plus two weeks ago I went to a couple small dealers in my area but they wanted 55-65 dollars more than Palmetto State Armory that was about 25 miles from me. 55-65 dollars may not be a lot of money to keep some from buying local but it's enough to me that I can't justify buying from those smaller shops. Just the way it is.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
For those that haven't been to Scheel's, This is how good it is. I, A 51 year old man that can reliably pass as a functional adult, will go to the big Appleton mall to visit the one near me.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Have made many trips to Cabela's over the years and work within 5 miles of a Bass Pro. I now drive by BP and never even stop and it is getting to be that way with Cabela's when I am near one.
Great store that has been jacked up and screwed up by bean counters.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by BIG_JOE
Cabelas was a good company. Then Bass Pro bought them and ruined them. Cut from inventory the good things and brought in worthless junk.

That’s exactly what happened. Fortunately I have other options, especially with the internet. Years ago I used cabelas but not anymore.

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I sorely miss the old Sportsman's Warehouse we had here before they did the constriction. Was unaware Bass Pro bought them.

Me

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JeffyD
You're preachin' to the choir.
Screwing over their once loyal customers by not honoring their "lifetime" warranties was the final nail in their coffin for me.

I had a bulletproof rifle case with the lifetime warranty from Cabela's. I had heard of replacements being sent during a hunt if something happened.
Well mine broke open at the Casper airport. I called Cabela's (after being bought by Bass Pro) and they basically said return it when you get back.
I managed to rig a latch, then taped it at the airport. After I got home and dredged up the receipt, I was able to return it for credit, but it was a battle to get them to warranty it.
I replaced it with something not made by Cabela's or BPS.

ETA: I also have discovered Scheels, in Rapid City and mail order. I wish they had stores closer to home!

Last edited by Crowkiller; 06/22/21.

TANSTAAFL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Drove to BPS/Cabelas (not sure which it actually is now) to buy an $850 fish finder a few weeks ago. Cash in hand, ready to buy. They wouldn’t sell to me because it was going on sake 4 days later for $450(loss leader, only a few in stock in each store). Kid tells me they’re in stock, points to them in fact, but won’t sell.

From their fishing counter, I call Scheels, they price match the $450 sale price over the phone and don’t make me wait the 4 days to get it. Free shipping and n my door step in 3 days.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Drove to BPS/Cabelas (not sure which it actually is now) to buy an $850 fish finder a few weeks ago. Cash in hand, ready to buy. They wouldn’t sell to me because it was going on sake 4 days later for $450(loss leader, only a few in stock in each store). Kid tells me they’re in stock, points to them in fact, but won’t sell.

From their fishing counter, I call Scheels, they price match the $450 sale price over the phone and don’t make me wait the 4 days to get it. Free shipping and n my door step in 3 days.

You shoulda bought at the local place instead of waitin. Geeze

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by gunswizard
+1 on Scheels, I buy bullets from them frequently, decent prices and fast shipping. Agreed Bass Pro clothing is Chinese crap, bought a couple pair of their cargo pants and they fell apart in less than a year.

Shucks . You didn’t get a “good” deal!

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Scheels is a employee owned store. I have yet to meet one sales person that did not know what he/she were talking about.All were very courteous and willing to help you find anything in the store

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Now I know why I give ass pro the finger everytime I drive by them, thanks guys.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I liked Cabelas for the used gun inventory and that is phasing out. They cant even list all of their guns on the website so it can be properly browsed. Il liked Sportsmans Warehouse for reloading equipment. The prices were good and the people were friendly. I hope they keep it up after the shortage. I am sure Bass Pro will kill them soon enough. I used to buy Handloader magazine there but Bass Pro wont let them sell the magazines anymore.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I live ten minutes from a BPS. I don't go there anymore even for fishing gear. For fishing I go to a small shop in an old gas station that is family owned and been open for generations. When you walk in the door you are ten steps from everything you will ever need to fish my area. At BPS
You have to walk through ten aisles of hats, gummy bears and plastic shoes to get to twenty rows of junk gear only to find they are out of stock on
The two items you use here.
There aren't any hunting gear shops down my way so I always bought from Cabelas. I remember filling in their order form and calling in my order.
These days I find I order from many difference online sources. Mostly small retailers with no store fronts. Once in a while from bigger places like Natches or Midway. I got my pack from Scheels online. Probably isnt a Scheels store 1500 miles from me.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,591 guests, and 731 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,544
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.