Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#16189842 06/21/21
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I recall years past there were issues of the TSX not giving reliable expansion. Has this been addressed/improved or still a problem?

Looking at std cartridge velocity (308 wcf), not magnums.

What say ye?

Local gun shop has couple boxes of .30 cal 150 gr. TSX, but I don't know how to tell recent manufacture vs old stock (it's a small town relatively low volume place, especially since the long range shooter syndrome now requires a high BC aka plastic tips!!!)

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
When in doubt, call Barnes Customer Service; or email them. They can offer advice for each bullet we make to include the lower impact velocity to insure reliable expansion. Any/every bullet made has limits; not just Barnes. Know what that limit is and you should have reliable expansion.

Alan

Last edited by GSSP; 06/21/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had no particular issues with Barnes bullets. It's becoming the only big game bullet I use.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
murkydismal,

My wife and I experienced a few Barnes Xs (including some early TSXs) that didn't open at all, or didn't open much. This also with some other people I know and trust.

One thing I noticed was that all of these occurred with bullets from .30 caliber on down to 6mm--but not .224s. I started to suspect it had something to do with the hollow-point getting battered on the front end of a typical box magazine during recoil, or perhaps even from a round being repeatedly loaded in the magazine. Either can result in partial or total closing of the hollow-point, which does not help expansion.

With .224s there generally isn't enough recoil to batter the tip, and the TSX's above .30 have much larger hollow-points, so there's little likelihood of them being battered enough to change expansion.

When the Tipped TSX's appeared on the same bullets they expanded noticeably more, resulting in wider wound channels. My guess (based on considerable experience with Xs, and modern slow-motion video of bullets shot in clear ballistic gelatin) is the much larger hole in the front of the bullet (necessary to accommodate the plastic tip's base) results in more reliable expansion.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Speed on the 224's helps a lot. I never had a failure on the 6mm 85g TSX shot from 6 Rem at 3400 muzzle velocity and 7mm 140 TSX shot out of 7 mags at 3200-3300 MV.

These are from Post 2000 bullets.

Last edited by keith; 06/22/21.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I had a failure to open with the 100-grain .25 TSX started at 3500+ fps from a .257 Weatherby, on a pronghorn at around 250 yards. My wife also had at least a partial failure to open with one of the same batch of bullets on a mule deer buck at around 50 yards, started at around 3150 fps from a .257 Roberts.

Those are not the only examples I've encountered.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

When the Tipped TSX's appeared on the same bullets they expanded noticeably more, resulting in wider wound channels.

I'll only use the Tipped TSX's (TTSX) or LRX's. Since they've been out expansion doesn't seem to be a problem, I don't see a reason to use any others.

FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been using the TTSX for a few years and have not experienced any problems with expansion that I know of because I have not recovered a single bullet.

I recently purchased some TSX because I could not find any TTSX. Now "what if" I took a drill to the HP on the TSX to open the cavity was big enough to ensure it opened? Any comments?

Last edited by FWP; 06/22/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have shot a pile of critters with the 100 TSX and all have worked as advertised. Guess I have just been lucky but all bullets will probably experience some level of failure if enough are shot. I have been really happy with the accuracy and lack of fouling every since the grooved TSX came out. YMMV

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Zero issues with the X, TSX and TTSX since 2002.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

D
DSF Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by FWP
I have been using the TTSX for a few years and have not experienced any problems with expansion that I know of because I have not recovered a single bullet.

I recently purchase some TSX because I could not find any TTSX. Now "what if" I took a drill to the HP on the TSX to endure the cavity was big enough to ensure it opened? Any comments?

Anyone ever tried this ?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by DSF
Originally Posted by FWP

I recently purchase some TSX because I could not find any TTSX. Now "what if" I took a drill to the HP on the TSX to endure the cavity was big enough to ensure it opened? Any comments?

Anyone ever tried this ?

I could be mistaken, but I thought the name of the original X bullet came from the X-shaped cavity in the nose that causes the bullet to expand into four petals. Drilling a round hole would change the shape of the cavity and by extension, the manner of expansion. Who knows what the result would be? I suggest doing it, shooting a few into some ballistic gel and reporting the results (with slow-motion video, if possible).

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've used the TSX on multiple elk without problem. These have included the 168 .30 cal. in a .308, the 130 .277 in a .270, and the 150 7mm in a 7x61 Sharpe & Hart. I've used only one TTSX for elk and that was the .30 cal. 150 grain in a .308. It worked as well as the TSX. Only two recovered bullets, but they showed perfect expansion, like in a bullet ad. Use what's most accurate; I doubt you'll see any difference.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

When the Tipped TSX's appeared on the same bullets they expanded noticeably more, resulting in wider wound channels.

I'll only use the Tipped TSX's (TTSX) or LRX's. Since they've been out expansion doesn't seem to be a problem, I don't see a reason to use any others.

My thoughts as well.

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
TTSX and LRX are awesome in any diameter.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I started using X bullets when they first came out and progressed to XLC, TSX and TTSX. Never encountered anything but stellar performance although my experience at first was limited to 30 caliber (30-06) and didn't expand above and below that until the TSX were available. I don't discount anyone's experience but always thought most of the problems were below 30cal. I wouldn't hesitate to take those TSX's on any hunt.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Had issues with a 168 TSX from a 300 Weatherby a few years ago. Two deer lost because bullets penciled through. Third deer I shot took first one through the shoulders and heart. Looked like he had been shot with a field tip arrow. Literally just a 30 cal hole though the heart which was completely intact. Took him down with a second shot though his pelvis at 200 yards while he was running. Obviously didn't lead him enough. 😊

Never again with the TSX. Only TTSX from now on.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Other than the fact that lead core bullets seem to kill quicker than mono's, I've had good luck with the 20 or so deer I've killed with TTSX's. I hated the original X bullet and have no desire for a Barnes other than the TTSX.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Solve the problem by subscribing to the school of thought that real bullets have lead. You're welcome.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Solve the problem by subscribing to the school of thought that real bullets have lead. You're welcome.

brilliant......

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,942 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,349
Posts18,468,835
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.