Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
BKinSD Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I'm off to these two states for some recreational travel next month. Any tips on bourbon hunting while I'm there? My family likes to have retail experiences on vacation. I might as well spend my own time wisely. Help?

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
BP-B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
This one has been around forever in VA and puts out some great bourbon, but face masks are still required[game changer as far as I'm concerned].
https://asmithbowman.com/visit-us/

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Actual "Bourbon" probably comes from an area of Kentucky between Limestone (now Maysville) and Louisville and points south whose flowage empties into the Ohio River, or the old Virginia county of Bourbon which encompasses about 37 counties in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. It became a much-coveted whiskey due to the particular qualities of the limestone in the area and the water that flowed from its aquifers. The way it got its name was from "Old Bourbon" being stamped on the oak casks that shipped out of the region, being sent to New Orleans.

I'm not throwing shade on anyone's whiskey, but the true Bourbon comes only from Kentucky and there are some fantastic distillery tours. I would center my attention between Lousiville and Lexington, Kentucky.

https://kybourbontrail.com/map/

South of the Ohio River, the settlers took their surplus corn and distilled it so they could sell it. North of the Ohio, the settlers fed surplus corn to hogs and then marched them to places like CIncinnati. I could point you in the right direction, if you're interested, but most folks like the idea of a Bourbon Tour-- pork tours don't sell nearly as well.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Copper Fox Distillery in Sperryville, Virginia. Makers of 1797 whiskey.

Last edited by PWN; 06/22/21.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by shaman
Actual "Bourbon" probably comes from an area of Kentucky between Limestone (now Maysville) and Louisville and points south whose flowage empties into the Ohio River, or the old Virginia county of Bourbon which encompasses about 37 counties in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. It became a much-coveted whiskey due to the particular qualities of the limestone in the area and the water that flowed from its aquifers. The way it got its name was from "Old Bourbon" being stamped on the oak casks that shipped out of the region, being sent to New Orleans.

I'm not throwing shade on anyone's whiskey, but the true Bourbon comes only from Kentucky and there are some fantastic distillery tours. I would center my attention between Lousiville and Lexington, Kentucky.

https://kybourbontrail.com/map/

South of the Ohio River, the settlers took their surplus corn and distilled it so they could sell it. North of the Ohio, the settlers fed surplus corn to hogs and then marched them to places like CIncinnati. I could point you in the right direction, if you're interested, but most folks like the idea of a Bourbon Tour-- pork tours don't sell nearly as well.

Is that a statement of how you feel about it, or a statement of fact?

In the first case, fine. In the second case, you are in error.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, not throwing shade, just telling the guy to visit Kentucky rather than where he's actually going.

Good bourbons come from all over, even out here.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
"Kentucky Straight Bourbon" only comes from Kan-tuck

FJB & FJT
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Raeford

Bourbon in general doesn't have to.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Raeford

Bourbon in general doesn't have to.

With ice[even]?

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[

Is that a statement of how you feel about it, or a statement of fact?

In the first case, fine. In the second case, you are in error.

Legally, it can be called Bourbon if it comes from inside the US, it's made mostly of corn liquor and it is cured in a virgin charred oak cask. That means that it can be made in New Jersey if you like.

A purist would say it has to have been made from water coming from the limestone of the old Bourbon County.

Me? I'm just a scotch drinker. However, I did have a best friend that got paid for writing a book on Bourbon. I'd tell you to take it up with him, but he died in '97.

Last edited by shaman; 06/22/21.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
LOL, not throwing shade, just telling the guy to visit Kentucky rather than where he's actually going.

Good bourbons come from all over, even out here.

Hey, if he's coming from South Dakota, he can hit Kentucky on the way. I'm sure there are excellent whiskies on the other side of the gap.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
There are also limits to the proof of the distillate as it comes off the still and when it goes into the barrel.

B
BKinSD Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
JFC you guys sure know how to hijack a thread! Hahahaha

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Be better off hunting up some good shine....

Hang on tight !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by leemar28

Might be easier in West-By-god.

Especially if he wants to avoid yuppies, and metro sexual.
Because that what he is gonna find in some microdistillery.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by leemar28

I know a bend in the road on RT 92 south of Somerset KY. . .

BTW: I don't hold Bourbon on a pedestal any more than I hold Kentucky Bourbon on a pedestal. I used to have to visit a big Jim Beam warehouse in Louisville that my employer operated for them. We got frozen out of the deal when the Frogs sold out to the Japs (or was it vice-versa?) and I ended up getting laid off.

At one time, I researched this as a gag. I don't mean to say anyone is really doing this wink for real.

Let's say you're an entrepreneur operating out of Northern Kentucky. You contact a certain large distillery and ask for their catalog. It prints out to many dozens of pages. You finally pick your formula (using a dart board) and order #1013 -- Desc: Corn Formula #3. It comes to your garage in a tanker truck. You unload it into your Stainless steel vat recently purchased from the set of Breaking Bad. You then cut it with purified water from the Ohio River, a bit if carmel coloring, and the maximum legally allowable amount of pasteurized goat urine and then send it through a charcoal filter before bottling it.

The bottles are then shipped to a facility in Hebron, Kentucky where a beautiful and elaborate full-color sleeve is shrink-wrapped onto the bottle. You can't miss the place-- it's right at the end of one of the runways at CVG. The label reads "Old Goat Piss Kentucky Bourbon, bottled in Boone County, KY Charcoal Filtered" It shows a very realistic portrait of Daniel Boone sodomizing a goat.

You have just made real Kentucky Bourbon, at least by legal standards. I'm skipping over the finer points here, but the point is we've got all these little places around on the south side of the river and they all feed off the same catalog. Some of them are just "value added," meaning they take what comes off the truck and do something to it before sticking it in a bottle. Others don't even do that. They just have a label that says, "Bottled in Kentucky." My company ran that warehouse in KY and also runs one of the world's largest shrink-wrapping facilities. We did liquor, beer, and most all of P&G's liquid soap products. Their marketing had started to cater to small-batch distilleries and breweries.

If y'all are interested, I could look into us doing a small batch and calling it "24 Hour Campfire"

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by shaman

You have just made real Kentucky Bourbon, at least by legal standards. ...

No you haven't.

B
BKinSD Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
All I asked was where to shop for bourbon in either state. That's all I asked...

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by BKinSD
All I asked was where to shop for bourbon in either state. That's all I asked...

You know how things go around here. grin

B
BKinSD Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BKinSD

You know how things go around here. grin

OMG NO KIDDING

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
723 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 78 invisible), 2,916 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,589
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.