24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Any of the so-called " varmint" rifles in .17, .204, or .224 calibers. Shoot them in the head, no meat loss and they have a head the size of a tennis ball for God's sake. Its not rocket surgery.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
BP-B2

C
CBB Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
218Bee....

Hunt...
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

No one here wants hunt Turkeys, we are covered up with them, Rio7

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Hell, I’ll come home to Texas to kill some, anytime. LOL

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RIO7

No one here wants hunt Turkeys, we are covered up with them, Rio7

What a problem to have!

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Bet them fuggers taste the same whether shot with a shotgun or rifle!!

+1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

These Rio Grande Turkey's are like chewing on a mouth full of rubber bands, they sure as hell ain't a Butter Ball Turkey. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You got that right. Never tasted a Butterball worth a schitt.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
.17 Rem, for me.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Going to try my 32 cal flintlock this year in PA since the game commission made my favorite turkey rifle obsolete, kimber oregon in 223 with reduced loads.

IC B3

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
My first year hunting was 1947 in the NC region of Pa.
Back in that era if you hunted for a week which we did, you wouldnt even see a turkey track or any signs of them.
Today there are turkey in every county of the state, and in some counties they are plentifull.
I can ride the back dirt roads and see them every day if i put enough time in.
At 86 i can no longer walk around much, especially on uneven terrain.
But with a rifle i can occaissionaly pop one on my own 17 acres in Cameron Co.
Ok for the ( AHEM ) elk hunters to pop one from the road on my land, but no turkey for me?
Wayne Hunt the Cameron Co warden, told me while investigating one of the 3 elk kills on my property, all shot from the road or my driveway, that the elk ( HUNT ) wouldnt be possible without landowner cooperation.
But an old property owner isnt permitted to shoot a turkey on his own land with a rifle?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by yobuck
My first year hunting was 1947 in the NC region of Pa.
Back in that era if you hunted for a week which we did, you wouldnt even see a turkey track or any signs of them.
Today there are turkey in every county of the state, and in some counties they are plentifull.
I can ride the back dirt roads and see them every day if i put enough time in.
At 86 i can no longer walk around much, especially on uneven terrain.
But with a rifle i can occaissionaly pop one on my own 17 acres in Cameron Co.
Ok for the ( AHEM ) elk hunters to pop one from the road on my land, but no turkey for me?
Wayne Hunt the Cameron Co warden, told me while investigating one of the 3 elk kills on my property, all shot from the road or my driveway, that the elk ( HUNT ) wouldnt be possible without landowner cooperation.
But an old property owner isnt permitted to shoot a turkey on his own land with a rifle?

Sure you are. Keep your lips sealed and hope nobody sees you.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I like rifle hunting them. Sadly due to low numbers we lost our rifle season this year, I bet we never get it back even if they rebound.

I always tried to head shoot them and in that case even 22 LR works fine in an accurate rifle. My best trick was when I Indianed up on a big gobbler and shot him in the neck with my S&W 32 Mag, fun hunt that took me years to pull off. I had planned on someday building a Martini in 32 Mag with a peep for the ultimate turkey rifle but I probably won’t now since we have few turkeys and no rifle season. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Turkey hunting in the fall with rifles is another opportunity to use a rifle and if you like rifles (which I do) it’s my preferred method. I also like hunting them in the spring with shotguns . That said I’ve hunted them in PA with a rifle since I was 12 in 1975 and have used .218, 221, 222, 223, 224 Weatherby, .225, 6x45, 240 Weatherby, .25-20, .256 Win. Mag., 25-35, 250 Savage, 260 Remington, .270 Win., 7.62X39, .32-20 and 32H&R. I’m pretty pissed that they took that season away but hey I can still carry these rifles for squirrels😉

PennDog

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I kill them with my bow. We have so many on that place I hunt, it’s not hard to get one.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TheKid
I like rifle hunting them. Sadly due to low numbers we lost our rifle season this year, I bet we never get it back even if they rebound.

I always tried to head shoot them and in that case even 22 LR works fine in an accurate rifle. My best trick was when I Indianed up on a big gobbler and shot him in the neck with my S&W 32 Mag, fun hunt that took me years to pull off. I had planned on someday building a Martini in 32 Mag with a peep for the ultimate turkey rifle but I probably won’t now since we have few turkeys and no rifle season. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by TheKid

Good shooting Kid! And nice S&W Model 16 in 32 Mag.
Those bring big money nowadays from S&W collectors.
I’ve killed quit a few with a handgun and several with a Rifle.
Never like hunting them with shotguns, like most do during Spring Season. Here in TX, you can shoot them with anything.
I don’t shoot them anymore, unless a friend asks for one to deep fry Cajun Style, as I don’t like to eat them anymore.
They eat a lot of grasshoppers here, and taste nasty, IMO.
The only turkey I eat anymore, are the Butterball store bought ones at Thanksgiving. Or Swanson Hungry Man TV Dinners. 😬

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ingwe
Any of the so-called " varmint" rifles in .17, .204, or .224 calibers. Shoot them in the head, no meat loss and they have a head the size of a tennis ball for God's sake. Its not rocket surgery.

I let one of my nephews shoot his first one at the Ranch with my T/C Contender with a Custom Shop barrel in .204 Ruger.
He was 8 or 9, and I drove up on a flock in the Ranger and he rested the rifle across the dash. About 80 yards so I figured it would be an easy shot for him. Told him to shoot it in the head of course. He did, and when I picked it up, the neck bone was the only thing sticking out of the body. The nephew asked me where the head went. I laughed and told him it “just disappeared”. He thought that was the coolest thing ever. 🤠

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

These Rio Grande Turkey's are like chewing on a mouth full of rubber bands, they sure as hell ain't a Butter Ball Turkey. Rio7

Agreed. I’ll take the store bought Butterball any day over a wild turkey.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 10/24/21.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Agreed. I’ll take the store bought Butterball any day over a wild turkey.

If I had to eat a Butterball I would give up eating turkey. Haven't taken a bit of one of those nasty bastards in 15 years.

Chunk that wild turkey breast up into bite sized pieces. Soak in buttermilk and fry in flour or fish fry.

No better way to eat turkey!!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,951 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,752
Posts18,401,318
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.