Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Anybody know anything about them? I ordered a barrel on 2-13 regular wait time said to be 10-12 weeks....its way more than that now and I can't get them to answer their phone or their emails? Anybody wanna take a guess?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It seems like not answering the phone is the new business model these days. Have you tried email?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
An old gunsmith friend used ER Shaw barrels almost exclusively, I had them install a rifled shotgun barrel on my slug gun it was very accurate and accounted for many whitetails.

W
W
I haven’t tried to contact them lately, but, like everything else they’re probably way behind and trying to catch up. My experience with the barrels themselves have been pretty good. I have a 24” stainless, sporter contour, chambered in .308 Win. on my Savage Axis action and it is a shooter!! As far as affordable barrels go, Shaw or McGowen is going to be hard to beat imo.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ingwe
Anybody know anything about them? I ordered a barrel on 2-13 regular wait time said to be 10-12 weeks....its way more than that now and I can't get them to answer their phone or their emails? Anybody wanna take a guess?

this is posted on their website

Shaw
Barrels & Rifles
5312 Thoms Run Road
Bridgeville, PA 15017

Hours: M-F 8am - 4pm
Phone: 412-221-3636
Fax: 412-221-4303

Phone support is still limited while we continue to work through our extremely high call and order volumes. Please use one of the appropriate contact forms to the left. We will answer all inquiries as time allows.

(We are not currently taking on standalone jobs for bluing or muzzle threading. Check back again soon.)

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Good luck. I waited 4 months for the 2 month timeframe rifle i ordered before i canceled it and then they screwed up the refund.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I ordered a rifle and waited about 4 months receive it. I am happy with the rifle.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I sent them a barreled action the last week of March for a barrel job.Their web page at that time had 18-20 weeks wait time.I checked today and they are showing 20 + weeks,so I guess they are running behind.When I sent one to Pac-Nor a few years ago the wait time was 8 weeks.I read a post recently someone said their wait time is now 20 + weeks.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This from their website says a lot:

"Please note that if your order is still within the current timeframes listed for each product in our shop, the barreled action installation page, or the rifle builder pages, this request will not be fulfilled. We give a range of times for a reason. If the timeframe for your order has been exceeded, then we will contact you with an explanation and a new estimated completion date."

Translated that means when they screw up, it's on you to run them down and find out why. A company that is good at customer service will have a due by date attached to each order and contact you when they are past due with an explanation and a new estimated completion date.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Yup

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
It seems like not answering the phone is the new business model these days. Have you tried email?

Can you read English?

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Good luck. I waited 4 months for the 2 month timeframe rifle i ordered before i canceled it and then they screwed up the refund.

Damn . What else got screwed up

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle

Thats the kind of luck I usually have.

And if I can get hold of anyone there by phone or email to cancel it I will.

So hopefully it will arrive before they answer their phone.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I emailed them and told them I was canceling and would not pay any fees due to their failure to stay in the time frame. I also told them not to refund my money since I was going to handle it with my credit card company.

They immediately refunded and canceled. Refunded to the wrong card and then wouldn't fix it.

Tired of stupid and schit service.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Their quality is great however

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I had a few friends use their barrels. They delivered on time but from what I have seen performance is on par with a good factory barrel.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A gunsmith not meeting his estimated delivery time - what a shock.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

You could fugk up a wet dream

Lol

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I had one in .222 years ago, very accurate.. Thought of trying another, I bought the barrel and had it put on by a smith..

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had one in 6,5x 55 swede, installed on My model 70, some years back, like it a lot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've bought two Shaw barrels, a 222 Rem that is very accurate, and a 6x47 Rem that I rechambered to 6mm-204, Both work great for the money.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Good to know...its a .222 Im waiting on...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I re-barreled a couple rifles in the '70's with ER Shaw. One was OK and one was not. Since then I've re-barreled several rifles with ER Shaw and they were excellent. I have not bought any since the China Virus hit our shores.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Fotis
I had a few friends use their barrels. They delivered on time but from what I have seen performance is on par with a good factory barrel.

I concur.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you want to order a barrel from Shaw, you might want to check with either EABCO in MN, or Northland Shooter's Supply.

but 12 to 16 weeks is a short time wait right now... I was just looking at some dies ( which thankfully were in stock) from CH4D.
If ordered because not in stock.. there is a 2 year wait....

About anything to do with firearms is like what's in stock at Walmart...

We don't know when anything will be in stock, until it comes in unannounced on a truck....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I placed an order right before Thanksgiving, it was ready in early May. No communication until it was ready. I couldn't get them on the phone either!

TANSTAAFL
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I was seriously considering a custom rifle from ER Shaw, you guys have me second guessing now. Anyone have one of their rifles in 300 RUM?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Not directly related but I ordered a Shaw barrel for a Ruger 10/22 from Midway early last week and have received it and installed the barrel yesterday. Planning to test it this Thursday.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just ordered a Remage barrel from Northland and was told 20 weeks.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i just ordered a Brux barrel 25 caliber 7 1/2 twist was told 4 months but i bet its here before that, i dealt with ER Shaw once they made a mess and it cost me more money, barrel did shoot fine but ER Shaw company can kiss my arse i will never deal with that again . idiots !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Update: I got a response to my FOURTH Email to them. " Sorry...blah blah blah...we will be finishing up your order early next week and shipping at the end of the week.." Which I'm sure is a euphemism for" We will be starting your barrel sometime soon..."

I gotta say with such schitty customer service, if I win the Wimbledon Cup with this barrel, I'll still never do business with them again.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Yep that's the experience I got with them

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I just ordered abarrel from Douglas in WVa.... knock me over with a feather, they quoted me 3 weeks....

Chalked that one up to West Virginia work ethic as compared to a lot of places....

We'll see what it gets here....

its not like they aren't busy.. but I was surprised, I had no problem talking to one of the barrel guys also...

my first barrel from them... based on the experience if it is going to be as good as I expect, it won't be my last...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Seafire,

Did you go with a standard barrel or the "air gauged" ?

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Seafire

I just ordered abarrel from Douglas in WVa.... knock me over with a feather, they quoted me 3 weeks....

Friend did the same, and actually got it in 2 weeks!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It probably has to do with the production cycle. If they're set up to drill, ream and rifle 30 cal they're likely to run a bunch so they'll have a quantity of blanks ready for contouring as orders come in. So if you're wanting a 30 near this time you're golden. While this is going on the 8mm for example is going to take a back seat.

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by mathman
It probably has to do with the production cycle. If they're set up to drill, ream and rifle 30 cal they're likely to run a bunch so they'll have a quantity of blanks ready for contouring as orders come in. So if you're wanting a 30 near this time you're golden. While this is going on the 8mm for example is going to take a back seat.

I get that...but a .22 cal barrel taking a back seat for four extra MONTHS?

Uhhhh....no.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I was thinking of the Douglas quick service more than the Shaw clusterfug since Shaw's crappy communication routine indicates who knows what else in how things are run over there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had Shaw barrels, have one now, and they shot good. But I'll take a Douglas any day.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Anyone know approximately how many hours are involved in taking a barrel from a blank piece of steel to a barrel that is ready to go on an action?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by chesterwy
Anyone know approximately how many hours are involved in taking a barrel from a blank piece of steel to a barrel that is ready to go on an action?

Depends, but a button rifled barrel would likely be measured in minutes.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Minutes for deep hole drilling, reaming the hole to size and then buttoning?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by mathman
Minutes for deep hole drilling, reaming the hole to size and then buttoning?

Not hours

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Jesus what a bunch of time whiners. You should have done this when they weren’t so busy.

Like how you braggers did your ammo buying between panics.

Learn a little patience!

For the record I’ve never had anything but good service and the barrels I’ve put on have all been pretty good shooters.

Caveat:?no dealings with them newer than 20 years or so , but I would not hesitate to order a barrel from them now and wait for it.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Ain't about the time. It's about being quoted and then promised something and Then they blow right past that promised time without a word and only respond after several emails or calls wondering wth is going on. And the answer is bullshit for "we took a schitload of orders so we could sit on millions of dollars for months and then deliver when we feel like it and blame it all on covid" and we consumers are expected to fugg off until they feel like mailing us what we already paid for.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 07/19/21.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have an M38 Turk (Large Ring Small Ring) Mauser. Not being at all familiar with that setup, I sent the action to Shaw. After being late by more than two weeks I called to see how much longer. They apologized and send me my barreled action as soon as they could (about a week later). So I sent them an ugly, primer grey action. They sent me a blued action; bent bolt, with a 27" barrel. Ok it all looked good. I dropped it in a full bedded stock and had Timney add a 3lb trigger and updated safety. I took a guess at a load and I shot a three rounds that measured 0.274". For the price and that quality I will wait the 10, 12, 52 weeks to get my next barrel from them. Hint, it will be a 243 Win

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by woods_walker
Seafire,

Did you go with a standard barrel or the "air gauged" ?

air gauged was an extra $10, so a high roller like me couldn't resist....

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by las
Jesus what a bunch of time whiners. You should have done this when they weren’t so busy.

Its a real simple thing and good business practice to 1. change expected wait times on your website and 2.Answer you damn phone and emails.

If they tell me it takes 10-12 weeks, then thats when I expect it. If they tell me it takes 8 months...then thats when I expect it.. Cal me whimsical....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las

Like how you braggers did your ammo buying between panics.

Learn a little patience!

For the record I’ve never had anything but good service and the barrels I’ve put on have all been pretty good shooters.

Caveat:?no dealings with them newer than 20 years or so , but I would not hesitate to order a barrel from them now and wait for it.

Nobody should expect a business to do what they say they are going to do, or to communicate with customers when they can't do as they say they are going to do. Right?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las

Its a real simple thing and good business practice to 1. change expected wait times on your website and 2.Answer you damn phone and emails.

If they tell me it takes 10-12 weeks, then thats when I expect it. If they tell me it takes 8 months...then thats when I expect it.. Cal me whimsical....

Okay,

You're whimsical....... whistle

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Originally Posted by las

Okay,

You're whimsical....... whistle

I've been called worse...... whistle

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Shilen is no faster right now. I ordered a barrel blank for my 280 back in Feb. I was told 6-8 weeks. I got it two days ago!

No sweat, as I just finished setting my lathe up at our new house just last week!

Will be nice when things get back to "normal"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just missed a call from Shaw telling me that my barreled action is ready to ship. They received it the latter half of March. Got a call in to the return number and waiting on them to call back for the payment transaction.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Ordered from hart end of April, notified today. Fell within the timeframe they had quoted me when I ordered - pleased with that and all communication from them.

Ordered 220 swift barrel for 98 11/30/20 got notice will be delivered tuesday 7/28/21.. Hope worth the wait

Old is not obsolete
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Epilog, after being told by email two weeks ago that the barrel was finished and shipped, it was a no show. So I called them, and they actually answered the phone! Long story short I crawled up their ass and blew up, barrel was still there unshipped....not good business practice to lie to your customers...

At any rate, its on its way now, with tracking info etc. Again I'll say if I win the Wimbledon Cup with this barrel, I'll never do business with them again, nor will I recommend them to anyone. 4 months late and smoke blown up my ass....zero stars!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Epilog, after being told by email two weeks ago that the barrel was finished and shipped, it was a no show. So I called them, and they actually answered the phone! Long story short I crawled up their ass and blew up, barrel was still there unshipped....not good business practice to lie to your customers...

At any rate, its on its way now, with tracking info etc. Again I'll say if I win the Wimbledon Cup with this barrel, I'll never do business with them again, nor will I recommend them to anyone. 4 months late and smoke blown up my ass....zero stars!

I hate being lied to. Who in the schidt thinks a lie on top of poor service and mistakes makes things better?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Don’t know how good they are today. They made some barrels for Ruger that were erratic in performance. I replaced a bunch of them with Shilens over the years. May be ok now.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Good barrels but schitty service.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Don't see why it is so hard for companies to tell the truth. I deal in machine work for a living and I tell all my vendors, "tell me the truth, not what I want to hear". "I can deal with the truth, but you lie to me and we will not do business very long".

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I talked to a highly regarded gunsmith last November who said it’d be 6 weeks turn around on a stock. Sent it to him in December with notes as per his recommendation in our conversation.

Called in April and he’d gotten a ton of work all of a sudden and blah blah blah my stock was way back in line.

Haven’t called since cuz I don’t want to somehow get bumped to the back of the line again but he has my stock and supplies and my money but here I wait.

I lost count, but it’s been a while… started this project in 2008 so I can ton be in a huge hurry but holy moly do peoples’ word mean anything at all anymore??

In my business it’s under promise/over deliver. That way if “stuff happens” as it inevitably will, I can still make my commitments.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
When I canceled my shaw order I emailed them and got a bunch of excuses and general statements. From being in manufacturing in the past i recognized those statements and knew it was "shut up and wait. We will do it whenever we get around to it."

So i gave them some advice about meaning what they say and how their BS has consequences. Told them to refund my money and that they lost a frequent customer due to the lies and the bad decisions management made with the "blame covid, keep customer's money as long as possible, stall and keep selling even though you can't come thru on the promises."

They acted surprised that someone would expect that 3 months means 3 months and not 4 or 5 or 6.

I reminded them that I did my part in paying and waiting and all they had to do was stick to their word.

They still thought I was speaking Greek.

That's how good companies go down. And we need all the 2nd amendment related companies we can get. Sad.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 07/28/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess all those people getting pissed off canceling their orders sped mine up.Received a call today from Shaw that my rebarrel job to a 308 Norma Magnum is done and ready to be shipped.Their web page had 18-20 weeks wait time first of April when it was sent to them,so mine took 16 weeks.Now just hope it shoots well.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I ordered my 250 savage rifle at Thanksgiving time. It was to be done in 2 months. It just now is on their website for sale.

After many calls and lies and stalling I "fired" them and let them know why.

You can own "my" rifle for 200 bucks more than they quoted me now.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ordered mine Dec 1, received Feb 1. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got my 77 Tang Safe barreled action back from Shaw today. Bore felt fairly smooth with a patch cleaning the shipping preservative. Had to open the barrel channel slightly just ahead of the chamber, have to wait for the varnish to dry now. seating depth will for sure be shorter than the old barrel.

Last edited by Ole_270; 08/02/21.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've had time to shoot mine a bit, and it outshoots the barrel it replaced so I'm happy. I ran a bore scope down the barrel, and it has the most chatter of any of the 6 I have owned. They may be rushing things a bit right now.

TANSTAAFL
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Crowkiller
I've had time to shoot mine a bit, and it outshoots the barrel it replaced so I'm happy. I ran a bore scope down the barrel, and it has the most chatter of any of the 6 I have owned. They may be rushing things a bit right now.

I am of the opinion that much of what has been manufactured over the past year and much of what will be manufactured in the next few years will prove to be of sub-standard quality. Glad it shoots well.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Crowkiller

I am of the opinion that much of what has been manufactured over the past year and much of what will be manufactured in the next few years will prove to be of sub-standard quality. Glad it shoots well.

Pretty much like a barrel from Savage Arms as has been said here on the campfire many times. Nothing wrong how a Savage barrel shoots.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I like the barrel Shaw made for my Mauser BUT they are super popular and back ordered by 12 months. I found another manufacture (have never used them) who was going to try to get me a new prefit in 4 weeks for my hunt BUT I said no. I don't want to rush it and in either case I may not fund a magazine by then so I'm not even sure that rifle is going hunting.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 59 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,257
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.