Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I can understand getting something screwed up from an online deal.
And then having to jump thru burning hula hoops to make it right or exchange it in hopes the next one is right.

What I cant understand is buying one in person.
Inspecting it for fit, finish and function of very detectable issues or potential problems and then bitching about it after the fact.

Do people buy the 1st one they see a worker brings out.
Or do they ask if their are 2, 3 or 4 they can inspect and pick out the best one.

This kinda goes for any firearm purchase.
I know I'm leary as heck of buying the last one of anything.
Espeically a display gun, that everyone has played with.

I would find another place that has several to pick from.

Aside from that.

I dont dig crossbolt safety lever guns .
So buying a new marlin aint a factor to me.
And anything I buy I wanna check out in depth.

Everyone has heard the stories of game animals lives being saved by crossbolt safety guns.

Heck.... even heard em on here at times.

Last edited by renegade50; 01/13/20.
BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by renegade50
I can understand getting something screwed up from an online deal.
And then having to jump thru burning hula hoops to make it right or exchange it in hopes the next one is right.

What I cant understand is buying one in person.
Inspecting it for fit, finish and function of very detectable issues or potential problems and then bitching about it after the fact.

Do people buy the 1st one they see a worker brings out.
Or do they ask if their are 2, 3 or 4 they can inspect and pick out the best one.

This kinda goes for any firearm purchase.
I know I'm leary as heck of buying the last one of anything.
Espeically a display gun, that everyone has played with.

I would find another place that has several to pick from.

Aside from that.

Everyone has heard the stories of game animals lives being saved by crossbolt safety guns.

It's pretty darn simple to disable the crossbolt safety. Even a cave man could do it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by reivertom
Are you a gambling man? That's what you are doing putting money down on a new Remington made "Marlin" Some are OK and some are junk.....The problem is that most don't know their new rifle is junk until they get it home and shoot it. Then it's like pulling teeth to get "Remlin" to make it right. I would rather pay more for a used , older Marlin..
This. Exactly.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

x/bolt safety is gone......

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
tikkanut, where did you buy that safety delete plug?

I could not find it at Brownells or Midway USA. Their was a company called Beartooth that had it but their web site is down.

Last edited by IMR4350; 01/13/20.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The fore arm wood on the remlins I own do not wiggle around like the jm Marlins.

I think the new remlins r good but I don't own very many.

But I like waffle tops the best!

Last edited by Angus1895; 01/13/20.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by IMR4350
tikkanut, where did you buy that safety delete plug?

I could not find it at Brownells or Midway USA. Their was a company called Beartooth that had it but their web site is down.

Beartooth Merc in WY is best source

There is another guy too that mfg's them.....just can't recall the name

https://beartoothmercantile.com/basic-safety-delete-for-marlin-rifle/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Thanks

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
My Marlin 30-30 (bought in early 90s)often shoots clovers at 25 yards. My stainless 30-30 Marlin comes pretty close to that at 25 yards. Apparently I got lucky with both. There was a period up until a couple of years ago when their quality control slipped. The aforementioned stainless is a replacement. The first barrel was crooked. Marlin stood by their mishap and made good. Granted, I was persistent with my dissatisfaction. One should be fine with a currently made one. Of course expectations with a 30-30 should be kept realistic. Although I got extremely lucky, most are not expected to shoot
as good. I wish I got as lucky with all my other factory rifles-lol. Careful inspection of a new purchase can help reduce the chance of buying a poor performer. Keep your expectations realistic and you should be fine buying a new one.
Marlin has stepped it up the last couple of years.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I used to feel the same way, but then I realized how many good rifles I would be passing over if I did that.
Harbor Freight O-Ring around the button has been purported to be a good fix. I can neither confirm nor deny that I use one. And it doesn't require any modification and can be applied or removed in the field.

Aside from that the last couple years of Marlin before the recent sale have been good in my opinion. Compare them to the golden age of machining when labor was cheaper, and one might be disappointed, but the recent 2016+ are certainly acceptable for use.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Spring1898

I used to feel the same way, but then I realized how many good rifles I would be passing over if I did that.
Harbor Freight O-Ring around the button has been purported to be a good fix. I can neither confirm nor deny that I use one. And it doesn't require any modification and can be applied or removed in the field.

Aside from that the last couple years of Marlin before the recent sale have been good in my opinion. Compare them to the golden age of machining when labor was cheaper, and one might be disappointed, but the recent 2016+ are certainly acceptable for use.

I can confirm it. A little o-ring on the hammer button {it even has a groove on it} keeps you from pushing the button in by accident.
So when us old timers want to shoot it won't be on safe because we forgot to push it in.
I keep my o-rings on all the time so it's like the old days, it can also be easily taken off with a little pick or your fingernail.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When hunting or shooting, I use half-cock. When unloading, I use the button. I think of the button as an unloading safety device. Never got mixed-up yet.

Bruce

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Vinootz
My Marlin 30-30 (bought in early 90s)often shoots clovers at 25 yards. My stainless 30-30 Marlin comes pretty close to that at 25 yards. Apparently I got lucky with both. There was a period up until a couple of years ago when their quality control slipped. The aforementioned stainless is a replacement. The first barrel was crooked. Marlin stood by their mishap and made good. Granted, I was persistent with my dissatisfaction. One should be fine with a currently made one. Of course expectations with a 30-30 should be kept realistic. Although I got extremely lucky, most are not expected to shoot
as good. I wish I got as lucky with all my other factory rifles-lol. Careful inspection of a new purchase can help reduce the chance of buying a poor performer. Keep your expectations realistic and you should be fine buying a new one.
Marlin has stepped it up the last couple of years.

Did you realize that you resurrected a dead thread? Usually it is better to start a new thread.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Who's the little prick mentioned above? Ha ha

I don't want a pickle, I just wanna ride my motorcycle
Cag Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Remington went bankrupt and the company has been split up and auctioned off. Ruger owns Marlin now and is supposed to start production of Marlin rifles sometime this fall.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Cag
Remington went bankrupt and the company has been split up and auctioned off. Ruger owns Marlin now and is supposed to start production of Marlin rifles sometime this fall.

Looking forward to what Ruger may have in store for Marlin. I think they will quickly try to put a 30-30 in production, but my hope is they do a stainless/Laminate version soon.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by bcp
When hunting or shooting, I use half-cock. When unloading, I use the button. I think of the button as an unloading safety device. Never got mixed-up yet.

Bruce

That's been my method for years. I've never had an issue either.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Angus1895
The fore arm wood on the remlins I own do not wiggle around like the jm Marlins.

I think the new remlins r good but I don't own very many.

But I like waffle tops the best!
Any unwanted forearm wiggle is easily fixed with a little bedding compound.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by doubleDs55
Originally Posted by Spring1898

I can confirm it. A little o-ring on the hammer button {it even has a groove on it} keeps you from pushing the button in by accident.
So when us old timers want to shoot it won't be on safe because we forgot to push it in.
I keep my o-rings on all the time so it's like the old days, it can also be easily taken off with a little pick or your fingernail.
All that's required to disable/lock the crossbolt safety in the off position is a screwdriver. No O rings needed.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (11point, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,689
Posts18,399,819
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.