24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Found some 129 Hornady's. Anyone tried or using them in their 96 Swede? I've got 4064 powder. It does pretty good with 140 Hornady Match bullets. Seems it would be fast enough to work with 129s.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 06/03/21.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
You didn't say what kind of Swede, but in military barrels and chambers, the 129 Hornady flat base or SST is as good as any and better than most. Almost any powder can be more than satisfactory. The Swede in my experience, is not picky. If I could only have one powder...probably something near the burning rate of H4831...but when I was shooting competition out to 600 yds with the Swede, 4895 was the berries with SMK 140's.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Mine likes 42gr of R22 and .020" off the lands. Shoots great and is a fairly mild load. Great for my old swede.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
B
I have a couple of carbine sporter's that love the 129's with 41 grns of 4150........

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The nice thing about the swedish mauser, is they are generally not finicky. Many powders work very well.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
IF they shoot well out of you gun, land where they should, I think you have just added to your freezers supply.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by flintlocke
You didn't say what kind of Swede, but in military barrels and chambers, the 129 Hornady flat base or SST is as good as any and better than most. Almost any powder can be more than satisfactory. The Swede in my experience, is not picky. If I could only have one powder...probably something near the burning rate of H4831...but when I was shooting competition out to 600 yds with the Swede, 4895 was the berries with SMK 140's.

This. For 30 years that bullet was my go-to in a plethora of Swedes including a couple commercial rifles. Then I discovered 139 Scenars and Berger VLD Hunting bullets and had my head turned. But I still have and use a bunch of boxes of 129 Hornadys- so what does that tell you?

Yes the Swede is very forgiving of powders but I settled on IMR4831 long ago as the powder most likely to give Sterling results, based on an old Ken Waters article and proven empirically by myself. It absolutely rocks in my current Swede, a Ruger 1A.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The old Hornady 129 gr. S.P. Interlock, ( #2620) has been my favorite bullet for years in one of those Mod. 96 Swedes that Kimber sporterized in the mid 1990's. I'm glad I stocked up on them years ago because since the dawn of the Creedmore era they have become hard to find and today are probably unobtanium. IMR-4831 is my fave with that bullet but anything around that burn rate works good, ( H4831, RL-19). Got about 400 of those bullets but if I ever run out and can't get more there's several 140 gr. options that the rifle also likes very much.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 22250rem
The old Hornady 129 gr. S.P. Interlock, ( #2620) has been my favorite bullet for years in one of those Mod. 96 Swedes that Kimber sporterized in the mid 1990's. I'm glad I stocked up on them years ago because since the dawn of the Creedmore era they have become hard to find and today are probably unobtanium. IMR-4831 is my fave with that bullet but anything around that burn rate works good, ( H4831, RL-19). Got about 400 of those bullets but if I ever run out and can't get more there's several 140 gr. options that the rifle also likes very much.

I've been thinking about buying one of those Kimbers. Found one in new condition. Nickel plated to look like stainless. Bore looks new. I'm thinking it would shoot just like my m96 with the same loads. What has been your experience with your Kimber?

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The nice thing about the swedish mauser, is they are generally not finicky. Many powders work very well.

Amen!

I've gotten great groups from military and commercial rifles with R19, IMR 4831, R15, H414 and IMR 4350.

One of my best loads ever is R19 and Nosler Partititions 125g.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
If we're talking the 6.5x55mm as "the Swede", it is the ballistic twin of the 260 Rem. The Hornady 129gr IL-SP has been my go-to bullet for this rifle for the last 20 years, sitting on top of 46.5gr RL-19.

In developing this load, I noted another cluster on my ladder test around 43.5-44.0gr, or thereabouts. That might be better for a vintage, lower-pressure military action.

Either way, this bullet should shoot sweetly in the Swede.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks For the info.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by TXLoader
If we're talking the 6.5x55mm as "the Swede", it is the ballistic twin of the 260 Rem. The Hornady 129gr IL-SP has been my go-to bullet for this rifle for the last 20 years, sitting on top of 46.5gr RL-19.

In developing this load, I noted another cluster on my ladder test around 43.5-44.0gr, or thereabouts. That might be better for a vintage, lower-pressure military action.

The 6.5x55 may have a ballistic twin, but; 260 Remington barrels have a slower twist. The 129 maybe ideal in the 260 (in theory and practice, I never had one) but; those results will not extrapolate to the Mausers. Folks say they work. I believe it. I bring up the 260, because that was a great idea that should have been popular.

It is too bad how things turn out for the 260Rem. That is life. We still have 7mm-08. Good enough. And, all more reason to stay with the 6.5x55 even if selection of modern guns is limited. I have a Ruger 77 and a Winchester Featherweight M70 in the ol'Sweed.

I rather load to moderate pressure levels for easy results than be watching for flattened primers on the latest wizbang cartridge. And, it is my firm belief that most rifles deliver better accuracy working off modest pressure levels of the published Sweed reload data.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by fourbore
Originally Posted by TXLoader

The 6.5x55 may have a ballistic twin, but; 260 Remington barrels have a slower twist. The 129 maybe ideal in the 260 (in theory and practice, I never had one) but; those results will not extrapolate to the Mausers. Folks say they work. I believe it. I bring up the 260, because that was a great idea that should have been popular.

It is too bad how things turn out for the 260Rem. That is life. We still have 7mm-08. Good enough. And, all more reason to stay with the 6.5x55 even if selection of modern guns is limited. I have a Ruger 77 and a Winchester Featherweight M70 in the ol'Sweed.

I rather load to moderate pressure levels for easy results than be watching for flattened primers on the latest wizbang cartridge. And, it is my firm belief that most rifles deliver better accuracy working off modest pressure levels of the published Sweed reload data.

I was looking for a 7mm-08 Rem when I got my 260 Rem. The shop didn't have what I wanted, but showed me an M77 Mk II in 260 Rem. I bit, and am glad I did. One of the best hunting rifles I have in my arsenal.

I agree with the idea of not hot-rodding a cartridge. The loads I've worked up on it aren't max loads...I usually see a sweet spot a grain or so before I hit max load limits, a couple of grains higher than the more modest sweet spot. I figure, if I need the extra velocity, step up to a bigger cartridge. That's what they're there for.

The 260 Rem was very popular among the benchrest circles for years. The inherent accuracy of the .308 case, with heavier bullets than most 6mm's could shoot, meant it could still be shooting bugholes at distances that would begin to spread the smaller calibers out - at least with the technology of powders and optics 20-25 years ago.

Today, it's a different ballgame.

What brought the 260 Rem down wasn't barrel twist (like the 244 Remington). It was simply a new kid on the block - the 6.5mm Creedmore, taking advantage of newer technologies in powders and optics.. Slightly less powder for the same bullet weight = less expensive to shoot over the long run. That's just plain ol' economics at work - getting further along on the same basic resources. In the benchrest world, pennies will add up quickly, with the volume of shooting and handloading many do there.

Over the last decade, the Creedmore cartridge line is all the rage. Never have bought one.

I finally got my 7mm-08, and am working up loads for it now.. It's just as sweet shooting as my 260 Rem.

Last edited by TXLoader; 06/25/21. Reason: edit typo
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Did you mean Creedmoor? Never heard of a Creedmore.

American shooters are a fickle lot. Always ready to glom onto The New Big Thing. Five years from now there'll be something else to tickle our fancy and the 6.5 Creedmoor will be yesterday's oatmeal.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 22250rem

I've been thinking about buying one of those Kimbers. Found one in new condition. Nickel plated to look like stainless. Bore looks new. I'm thinking it would shoot just like my m96 with the same loads. What has been your experience with your Kimber?

..........Sorry I didn't reply sooner but I've been busy enjoying my active retirement. Got my Mod. 96 Kimber sporter in 1995 and it's a hoot. I've had two nice unaltered Swedish Mausers and they all shoot great. Best thing I ever did for the Kimber was ditch the injection molded Ram Line stock and put it in a Bell & Carlson with the aluminum bedding block after the recoil lug area cracked on the Ram Line. Had a Timney trigger on it but switched to a Dayton - Traister trigger for the B & C stock because the Timney would have required removing a lot of aluminum from that bedding block which I didn't want to do. I know they had plated ones but I've never seen one in person. Did you ever get that one? With a nice bore I'd bet it shoots great ( as long as it's bedded nicely). I have a pic here on the computer of a 1995 Kimber ad in Shotgun News showing one of the plated ones. They called it satin nickel plating. If I were more tech savvy I'd post it here but this site is too difficult for dinosaurs like me.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Great info. I appreciate it. You are spot on about replacing the cheap stock. I did an internet search and a lot of guys did the same thing. I haven't bought the rifle yet, but that doesn't mean I won't snag it at some point. The shop has had it for about 3 years, so its way over priced at $699.99. My best option is to trade him something that he wants more and something I don't have a lot of money into. That way I feel like I am not giving in to that high price tag. Thanks for the info.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
668 members (06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,663 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,346
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.