Page 25 of 30 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 29 30
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Remedial?

Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Way over my head there.....SLM. Just a common guy here.

But still, perfectly content the way things are, if you are.

Reality.......so to speak.

Originally Posted by SLM
If I were you, I’d get on bismuth subsalicylate for that free flowing mouth problem first.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Are you insinuating Jordan Smith and I are related?

Back to ancestry.com

Jordan may be a good guy, after all.

Originally Posted by SLM
Remedial?

Way over my head there.....SLM. Just a common guy here.

But still, perfectly content the way things are, if you are.

Reality.......so to speak.

Originally Posted by SLM
If I were you, I’d get on bismuth subsalicylate for that free flowing mouth problem first.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Why would I insult Jordan?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I guess brevity isn't always the soul of wit.

Originally Posted by SLM
Why would I insult Jordan?

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Mikey, When it comes to wit, you are 1/2 right. Rio7

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Never give up on me, RIO!

You got that high fence fixed yet? How many fair chase animals escaped?

Originally Posted by RIO7

Mikey, When it comes to wit, you are 1/2 right. Rio7

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Buzz why is BHA supporting an anti hunting eco terrorists to run BLM?

Originally Posted by BuzzH
How many elk have you lost, Buzz? Ever witnessed any problems with a 243?

As most everyone knows........you have to buy a doe tag when drawing an Iowa buck tag.

Sometimes........when a hunter fills the buck tag......they will go back out with the doe tag......and maybe a video camera.

Get a little excited when I'm trailing a boogered doe (after proper waiting)........and the hunter says something like: "Screw it.......it's not like it's a 150 inch buck......let's call it."

The biggest surprise of IRO was the wound rates. Everyone is an expert before and when they arrive.

When they want to poke the bales after a morning hunt........go check the stand location for blood (hint).

Last November.....saw an old fat man shoot a cow elk in the lower front leg (3rd shot)......100 yards from his truck. The leg was swinging. Any guesses how far he tracked it? 30-06, looked like a 721 with a steel tube Weaver.

Kinda now convinced.........it's the norm.

After all, it's only a 'lowly' doe or cow.

Buzz,

Why the obvious disdain for public land?

Most all the GF guys/gals know who I am in this part of the world, including the Director, assistant directors, commission, biologists, wardens. I've worked with a lot of them for a long time.

Why would I give a chit who outfits Cow creek? Most of its public anyway.

What disdain for public lands?...you sound confused.

BTW, did you actually read the elk regulations yet? Probably still confused about those as well....

You're all over the map...I can't help you with your choice of friends or who you guide on your place. Maybe pick better friends or better clients...not my pig, not my farm.

Same with the elk that you saw wounded...not sure what that has to do with anything, but OK.

I lost one elk with a rifle, that I eventually found. A spike bull that I just flat made a bad shot on at about 80 yards with a .338 and 250 grain partitions. Shot 17 other elk with that rifle as well as numerous deer, a dall sheep, black bears, shiras moose, etc. and it worked fine, not much different than the other rifles I've shot big-game with. Still have it but the last time I shot it was at a muskox in AK several years ago.

No, never witnessed any problems with a .243 on deer, elk, pronghorn, bears, bighorn sheep, and watched a friend kill a moose with one in Montana as well with a 100 grain sierra...one shot and that was that. The folks I hunt with are top shelf and know how to hunt, shoot, etc.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
APT Requests Documents for Biden Nominee Regarding Troubling Connections
June 17, 2021
Today, APT filed a Freedom of Information Act request with the Montana Governor’s Office and related agencies regarding Tracy Stone-Manning, who has been nominated as the Director of the Bureau of Land Management under the Department of the Interior. APT has requested records for her past roles in Montana state government over selling political access and her associations with extremist groups. Given the significant authority she would be given at the Bureau of Land Management, it is critical that the American public have confidence in her ability to lead this agency. In this role, Stone-Manning would be granted extensive authority over federal lands. Yet, as recent reporting shows, there are some concerning questions regarding her past. In one instance, Stone-Manning received a personal loan from a political donor, with interest rates below market value. This loan was given at the time she worked for Senator Jon Tester and would have been subject to certain Senate gift rules. No records have been produce to indicate that she complied with such rules. Additionally, news outlets have reported that Stone-Manning was part of a federal criminal investigation for eco-terrorism activities and involved with a radical environmental group.

great nominee Buzz. selling our public lands so we have no access. What does BHA do again?

How many elk have you lost, Buzz? Ever witnessed any problems with a 243?

As most everyone knows........you have to buy a doe tag when drawing an Iowa buck tag.

Sometimes........when a hunter fills the buck tag......they will go back out with the doe tag......and maybe a video camera.

Get a little excited when I'm trailing a boogered doe (after proper waiting)........and the hunter says something like: "Screw it.......it's not like it's a 150 inch buck......let's call it."

The biggest surprise of IRO was the wound rates. Everyone is an expert before and when they arrive.

When they want to poke the bales after a morning hunt........go check the stand location for blood (hint).

Last November.....saw an old fat man shoot a cow elk in the lower front leg (3rd shot)......100 yards from his truck. The leg was swinging. Any guesses how far he tracked it? 30-06, looked like a 721 with a steel tube Weaver.

Kinda now convinced.........it's the norm.

After all, it's only a 'lowly' doe or cow.

Buzz,

Why the obvious disdain for public land?

Most all the GF guys/gals know who I am in this part of the world, including the Director, assistant directors, commission, biologists, wardens. I've worked with a lot of them for a long time.

Why would I give a chit who outfits Cow creek? Most of its public anyway.

What disdain for public lands?...you sound confused.

BTW, did you actually read the elk regulations yet? Probably still confused about those as well....

You're all over the map...I can't help you with your choice of friends or who you guide on your place. Maybe pick better friends or better clients...not my pig, not my farm.

Same with the elk that you saw wounded...not sure what that has to do with anything, but OK.

I lost one elk with a rifle, that I eventually found. A spike bull that I just flat made a bad shot on at about 80 yards with a .338 and 250 grain partitions. Shot 17 other elk with that rifle as well as numerous deer, a dall sheep, black bears, shiras moose, etc. and it worked fine, not much different than the other rifles I've shot big-game with. Still have it but the last time I shot it was at a muskox in AK several years ago.

No, never witnessed any problems with a .243 on deer, elk, pronghorn, bears, bighorn sheep, and watched a friend kill a moose with one in Montana as well with a 100 grain sierra...one shot and that was that. The folks I hunt with are top shelf and know how to hunt, shoot, etc.

Last edited by ribka; 06/20/21.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 444Matt
Limiting shots to 300 yards and under what bullet would you use? Any success stories or pics would be great.

The .243 would not be my first choice, but I would likely choose a partition.

Having said that, I saw a very large cow shot with a .243 and am SST bullet. One shot.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There are enough pro-243 posts to liven this elk forum up forever.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
WT….?

Now………Buzz likely just dove into a deep prairie dog hole, never to return.

What do you have against whack-a-mole?

He’ll probably just fall back on selling cookbooks.

Originally Posted by ribka

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Brad and his proverbs…..

Isaiah 5:20 Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter. ... I have seen what is good called evil and what is evil called good.

Originally Posted by Brad
You definitely resemble the proverb; “those that know the least say the most.”

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Do mucking forons never get tired of bullshit?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm from back east ( Virginia) and live out west ( Oregon)...

I have to think its funny that people who don't live in elk country think a 243 is adequate for taking down an elk.

Yet people who actually live in Elk Country, many think a 243 is just fine for elk, and do so on a regular basis...

There are a few guys I know who have chimed in, in favor of the 243...

and i can tell ya, if those guys say it, its been because they have done it.. and more than once..

and I know you can take that to the bank, with no doubts...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yup. I personally wouldn't use a 243, simply due to my confidence level in my own limited experience, but there are surely many in the Western States and Alaska who think nothing about using what they've always had.

In fact, indigenous folks commonly are said to use 556 FMJs. Just saying.

Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by ribka

Ribka
Where does BHA fit into all this?

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
BuzzH-

We will be camping above Horseshoe Creek this next week, participating in another 'one day' archery hunt smile....as you've described. Casita camper and two tents, can't miss us......Fed land.

Looking forward to meeting you. Just let us know which watering-hole/restaurant in Douglas, and time.....before we leave.

Cell phones don't work too good up high........as you know.

We've been out there a couple times already, earlier this year.

Please let us know,
Mike W

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
BuzzH-

We will be camping above Horseshoe Creek this next week, participating in another 'one day' archery hunt smile....as you've described. Casita camper and two tents, can't miss us......Fed land.

Looking forward to meeting you. Just let us know which watering-hole/restaurant in Douglas, and time.....before we leave.

Cell phones don't work too good up high........as you know.

We've been out there a couple times already, earlier this year.

Please let us know,
Mike W

Been busy, its hunting season, already shot one elk myself and helped a couple friends from Illinois with 2 as well.

Don't have time to hang in bars and I'm sure with all your mad elk hunting skills, you're probably headed back already.

Took me about 4 hours last weekend to get elk #1 for the season.

Oh, and 6mm, 90 grain accubond, 194 yards...one shot. Elk walked ten steps and collapsed.

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

Retained 54 grains, broke a rib, through the thinnish part of the shoulder blade, bullet under hide on offside.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Buzz, I am getting a bad vibe........from the tone of your post.

If you're in the area......stop by. Horseshoe Creek.

I may be out flexing my 'mad' elk hunting skills.......but I'll probably be back in after dark.

grin

We could do the private land rifle thingy with type 6 tags.......but think we'll just start out archery.

Hope I can make these tags last til Dec.31st.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Did you lose another tooth recently?

No, have managed to keep all my teeth...

Page 25 of 30 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
230 members (257 mag, 2UP, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 26 invisible), 1,623 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,926
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.