24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Good movie, but as always, you need to read the book.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Several of us here feel honored to have helped in your family's liberty, Western Juniper. Welcome.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE

Indeed….. I read it probably 15 years ago or so. It was an excellent book with some very personal accounts of those who not only fought there but died there.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Or actually talk to men that were there.

This is NOT a slam on Marcus (just another example) but Lone Survivor , book and movie, are more Hollywood fiction than truth.

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by JeffP

This is NOT a slam on Marcus (just another example) but Lone Survivor , book and movie, are more Hollywood fiction than truth.

Are you saying that Marcus was not truthful in his book?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Several of us here feel honored to have helped in your family's liberty, Western Juniper. Welcome.

friend of mine is from vietnam. had to get out as a kid, father defected from the nva to the southarm y.
friend is now among other things a arizona state representative.
his daughter just graduated from annapolis.
they are pretty special
she shoots camp perry too.
i had a client, passed a couple of years ago. he was on the ground relief column into that valley. brass balls.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 06/27/21.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by JeffP

Are you saying that Marvus was not truthful in his book?

I wouldn’t presume to know. There are a lot of people in between Marcus’s mouth and the book or movie.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Americans fought in RSVN for all the right reasons. The domino theory wasn't a theory, it's just the Communists were bad at executing their strategy. Good cause, fought for the right reasons, executed badly by LBJ's minions. Of course, the South Vietnamese kleptogarchy didn't help a fecking whit.
Everyone who fought over there should be proud, and we should all be proud of them, and - while we still can - tell them.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Blow by blow documentary...

Probably the best depiction of decently trained and led soldiers and aircrew of the VN. war era.

It was most definitely NOT a documentary.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ia Drang Alodda Bier

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Americans fought in RSVN for all the right reasons. The domino theory wasn't a theory, it's just the Communists were bad at executing their strategy. Good cause, fought for the right reasons, executed badly by LBJ's minions. Of course, the South Vietnamese kleptogarchy didn't help a fecking whit.
Everyone who fought over there should be proud, and we should all be proud of them, and - while we still can - tell them.

We can not all be draft dodgers like Renegade

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WTF?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Speaking of Bruce, I was reminded me today of a book in my collection for many moons, gifted by a fellow who has been a dear friend for a long time.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The valley was not too far from my last duty station in Nam.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That is awesome ^
Heroes to heroes

"Thank your family for me because they served too while we were deployed"

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Hey Juniper, I'll second Rocky - 71 &72 - hard way to grow but probably the best way for a kid like me - no regrets here

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
You know, those PAVN guys were incredibly brave and tough. I'm not saying anything in favor of their communist devil leaders, but Lt. Col. Moore had nothing but praise for those grunts on the other side and I also think some of those VC and PAVN earned respect. There's nothing about that which disparages Americans or ARVN. I'm not with Fonda and Sutherland. In my way of thinking, it takes incredible courage to fight an asymmetrical war and persist with the kind of determination that a lot of those guys showed. Their cause was hijacked by evil, as also the sake of the American cause, the RVN, was corrupted by it.

I admire courage wherever it's found among the lowly and humble -- the grunts. Whether they're volunteers in the Lafayette Escadrile, or submariners in the uboats after ASDIC and everything else brought their casualty rate to 75%, or the crews of the nightfighters whose superiors may have had an evil nazi cause, but whose task was at instruments and crude little cathode ray tubes for the purpose of fending off the Lancasters of Operation Gomorrah that incinerated Hamburg in an inferno. The only thing more courageous than subjecting oneself to the cruel realities of new inventions of warfare is to fight on the receiving end of their destructive force with no practical hope of survival. Imagine what courage it took to resist the onslaught of American warfare technology.

If anyone here served to help the Vietnamese, thank you. It was my family you helped in whatever way you could. They escaped the Communist oppression in 1978. Today, from this distance, I have a love of the land of Vietnam and the people. That war was, besides a proxy war between the Soviets with the Chinese against the US, also a civil war among the Vietnamese. As in our own (US) history, there was really only one just outcome of the civil war, the freeing of the slaves. I'm not convinced any other good came of the outcome. For the Vietnamese, the sole good was the gaining of their independence from foreign control. Everything subsequent seems to have been evil. Two very simply virtuous things, so costly.

One of the finest pieces of original composition I have EVER read on this forum.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Yep!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner

Roger that.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My first cousin received his first Purple Heart at Id Drang. having been one of the early advisories on the ground..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
732 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 76 invisible), 2,951 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,770
Posts18,401,519
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.