Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I think this subject got the fat chewed out of it somewhere else on the board here.

Before Federal cut a deal for some blue ink, their color was IIRC black and silver. Called Hi-shok I think. I picked up a NIB Rem 700 mnt gun. Stainless with their cheapo plastic stock. Had the big box counter guy mount a generic scope, and grabbed a box the old Federals. Sighted the rifle in and took three elk with that combination over a 4 to 5 year span. Groups weren't photo op material, but I aint exactly a crack shot. Elk had no complaints. When the blue ink hit the shelves I stocked up for everything I have that shoots it. I'm a handloader, but factory ammo has many good products.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I shot a cow elk a couple of years ago with BB 180 .300WinMag at only 20 yards. No, the bullet didn't exit, but I ate elk meat that winter.

Jim
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you go way back, Federal had a red ink deal....
. grin

Arcus Venator
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by horse1
. I fuss over handloads, projectiles, seating depth, primers, powder burn-rate and case-fill, case-prep, blah, blah, blah. But, I could also happily shoot blue-box Federal for the vast majority of my hunting and have the same level of success.

+1 on this. I guess that's what makes us "Loonies"!

I've compared the Blue box ammo to the Green box ammo in my 270's and have noticed a BIG difference in velocity and accuracy. When I got my first 270Win. and needed ammo, I was buying the Blue box stuff at Wally World for $12/box!

It shot great, but I wanted a premium bullet so I pulled the factory bullet and seated 130gr. TTSX's. They shot under and inch at just over 3100fps.

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'd say federal blue box is one of the best values in factory ammo. It's shot well in about every rifle I've used it in.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
Check and sort it for runout. Use any bananas for post cleaning foulers. The good ones may surprise you even more with how well they shoot, oddballs having been culled out.

I like to do the same when trying to get the best out of cheaper factory ammo in a good rifle. If it's more of a short/medium range meat-gun, I don't generally bother. My AR10 likes the 150gr blue box well enough, and I should have bought another 10 boxes before this latest ammo crunch. I think I got 7-8 before the madness around election time.

Now with even more aplomb
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by CRS
. grin

Yes they did. I don’t remember the black & silver print. Not saying they didn’t, I just don’t remember them.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
never had a problem with any of it 700 308 tactical loves the 150 gr

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by CRS
. grin

Yes they did. I don’t remember the black & silver print. Not saying they didn’t, I just don’t remember them.

Jerry

It was dark blue/silver. It was in the 90s and it was for the Hi Shok line. Federal premium was in a gold box

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
That's likely right. I still have some, but I can't get lost in the store room this late in the day. Came in red plastic belt carriers.

They make good ammo. Got some loaded for a trip right now. Good primers too.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by moosemike

It was dark blue/silver. It was in the 90s and it was for the Hi Shok line. Federal premium was in a gold box

Yes Mike even in 08 my B B 300 WM 180s were dark blue/silver.

As far back as my ? memory ? goes they were Red/White. Don’t know when they changed.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yes Mike even in 08 my B B 300 WM 180s were dark blue/silver.

As far back as my ? memory ? goes they were Red/White. Don’t know when they changed.

Jerry

The bright red boxes ended somewhere around 1990 and they switched to dark blue/silver

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Okay.

Honestly, I have bought so little factory ammo I haven’t kept up.

In 07 I had my handloading packed up so I bought 2.
boxes of WW 270 Win 130 PP for the season.

In 08 I bought my Black Shadow 300 WM on
Sat. opening day of season SO I bought some
Fed B.B. 300 WM, 180s

I don’t remember when I bought factory Before 07
or Since 08.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I ever wonder if it is me or the rifle, I typically shoot some groups with Blue Box.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have been around long enough to remember when hunters referred to "Federal Red Box" in the same way.

Have killed a bunch of big game with both red and blue box Federal, but oddly enough not with the 130-grain .270 load.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a custom 700 heavy barrel rig that shot Federal Blue box 150 grain 308 in the .2's at 100 yards and I have a tikka T3 in 243 that shoots the 100 grain into .5's. Lastly I have a Savage 99 that will do 1.0 groups at 200 yards with the 150 grain 308 blue box stuff!

Its nice to have factory ammo that you can count on

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RinB

In the Lazy Man’s Sheep Rifle thread Brad mentions the Federal Blue Box 270W-130 ammo.
I have been using it to test many 270W chambered rifles for around 20 years. It gives around 3050 fps in a 22” barrel. It also shoots groups within .1” of my very best handloads.
I can gain around 50 fps but experience has shown me that I can’t perceive any difference.
I avoided using that ammo on game believing a premium bullet made a big difference. Then I used some of the stuff and again couldn’t see any difference. I continue to try to improve on it but I doubt there is anything to gain except in a few situations.
Thanks Brad.

Yes. I've shot some tiny groups with Blue Box 270/130's and it used to be cheap!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CRS
. grin

Jerry

And before that was the red and white box.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by CRS
. grin

Yup so do I and long before the the red and white ammo boxes were the red , black with a streak of brown on it. They were good shells then same as now. Rest of Mn might have towel heads but Anoka had people who made first class ammo.
To bad they didn't leave more of their genetics floating around. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CRS
. grin

Jerry

Some even came packaged in the silver bonus pack, early 90's, 24 rounds!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 70 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,326
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.