Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by slumlord
Yawn

Always prime the cooler first before setting out.

I sacrifice a bag of ice the night before. Dump all and then pack it with hopefully already frozen or pre chilled goods.

I know you have me on ignore cause youre a squat to piss whiney douchebag. Take it for whatever.

Have you ever thought about just shutting the [bleep] up? [bleep] like you are ruining this place. 12 posts per day and none add anything productive. thought about getting a life? Getting outside and doing something? Got any kids/grandkids playing little league? Volunteer to mow or drag the fields. Anything to keep from being a miserable old [bleep].

GB1

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by blairvt
Yawn

I sacrifice a bag of ice the night before. Dump all and then pack it with hopefully already frozen or pre chilled goods.

I know you have me on ignore cause youre a squat to piss whiney douchebag. Take it for whatever.

Have you ever thought about just shutting the [bleep] up? [bleep] like you are ruining this place. 12 posts per day and none add anything productive. thought about getting a life? Getting outside and doing something? Got any kids/grandkids playing little league? Volunteer to mow or drag the fields. Anything to keep from being a miserable old [bleep].

[Linked Image from thumbs.gfycat.com]

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yawn

That was kind of cundty, don't you think?

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by milespatton
Well, it seems that you gentlemen were correct. After three days, no ice left. Water was still pretty cold but I did not take its temperature. Might fill it with ice and bottled water and see how that goes. miles

You need to keep a log book.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Air is the enemy here.

FJB & FJT
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
My father had good cooler, fiberglass inside steel case.

Tight rubber gasket, and latch.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yawn

I’m outside every day, with my Yeti cooler. 😃

What exactly do you do that is so awesome and productive?

Post pics, please.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At least half the reason for a rotomolded cooler is to use it as a step/seat/fishing platform. If it was only about ice retention a really thick styrofoam cooler would probably equal or exceed it for a fraction of the cost.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
We get foam coolers free from our vet, good, but fragile.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Locally all coolers are sold out. I wanted to get a bigger lifetime to replace my small RTIC. Lucky I got a cheapo Igloo that will do fine with free unlimited hotel ice.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Problem with most coolers (particularly the Coleman) is that the lid isn't insulated.

A couple drill holes and some aerosol expanding foam will do wonders.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yawn

Post pics, please.

I don't sit around and call everyone names. go fishing. something

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yawn

Post pics, please.

Cool

Come on down, I’ll take you arrowhead hunting for about 6 hours in the hot sun, knee-high corn.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, what's the consensus this year?

Buy an expensive one and use less ice?

Buy a knock off of the expensive one and maybe use a little more ice?

Buy a cheap one, pre-chill it, cover it with a good insulating sleeping bag or such, and maybe use a little more ice. But you can use the money you saved for beer?

Don't buy any, but invite your rich friend with the big Yeti cooler. Get him to pay for the beer too?

Maybe the answer for some is to not use a cooler. Just drink whiskey (or whisky for those that prefer that spelling). And we all know ice in the whiskey is a no-no.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cooler threads are never not disappointing, kinda like chain saw and oil threads. Haha.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by duck911
Well, it's all been covered, thread closed.

I will say though, the poster who mentioned rock salt is dead on and it is usually overlooked. I have a small arsenal of Otterbox coolers (similar to Yeti) because my son can get them for cost as an Otter employee.

Pre-cooled and loaded with cold items, ice with rock salt will keep drinks cold in those coolers for 2 weeks.

Hell, I am still drinking ICE COLD Colt 45's ice cold from last Sat's Juneteenth party.

Adding salt to the ice is exactly the wrong thing to do for long term storage of beverages in a cooler, unless you are trying to freeze said beverages. And then you would still be better off to freeze the beverages in the deep freeze first.

There is a place for salted ice. That place is in the transport of frozen foods. I used salted ice to bring frozen packaged fish and crab home to Boise from the Oregon Coast in the back of pickup in July without them thawing.

Just a few facts to dispell myths.
Water requires one calorie to increase one gram one degree C.

One gram of ice requires 80 calories to change form to water without increasing temperature.

One gram of water requires 600 calories to change state into vapor.

So, if you want to keep the ice in your cooler from melting, cover the cooler in wet burlap bags, or wet towels.

The transfer of heat through an insulator is directly proportional to the Temperature differential across the insulator.

The colder the freezing point of the ice in the cooler, the higher the temperature differential through the wall of the cooler, and the faster that ice will melt.

Adding salt to ice depresses the freezing point, but does not change the energy consumption required to melt the ice. It still only takes 80 calories to melt 1 gram of salted ice.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Tell me more about this non-name calling. I find it fascinating.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Well, what's the consensus this year?

Buy an expensive one and use less ice?

Buy a knock off of the expensive one and maybe use a little more ice?

Buy a cheap one, pre-chill it, cover it with a good insulating sleeping bag or such, and maybe use a little more ice. But you can use the money you saved for beer?

Don't buy any, but invite your rich friend with the big Yeti cooler. Get him to pay for the beer too?

Maybe the answer for some is to not use a cooler. Just drink whiskey (or whisky for those that prefer that spelling). And we all know ice in the whiskey is a no-no.

Well I bought an Rtic 65 when they had a special clearance some years ago... 125.00 free shipping, no tax. Before that I never would consider paying the price these coolers sell for. I justified it because it was only twice what I pay for the 59.00 igloo or coleman extreme coolers that keep ice for 5 to 7 days. Should have bought 2 but I wasn't sure how they would work.

Problem with the plastic coolers is their hinges always break, and the latch, handles, the plastic sides become brittle with the Az heat and split. If you can nurse a cooler for 5 years you are lucky. I still use them on hunts I may need to pack fresh meat in. I have to use bungies and duct tape to keep them together, some I've used until they had to be thrown.

So far that 125 has proven out with the Rtic.

Should have bought 2...

Kent

Last edited by krp; 06/29/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Kent!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yawn

Post pics, please.

Cool

Come on down, I’ll take you arrowhead hunting for about 6 hours in the hot sun, knee-high corn.

Fugg him. I'll come down n have a great day with you n Rene. For realz, I hate heat but I have cooling towels Bring it!

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 30 invisible), 2,281 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,468
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.