Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by viking
You might think my 8 inch anaconda is a bit unwieldy then.

Nah my brother had one and it felt great.

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Hogeye
The 7.5" Redhawk isn't too long for me, but I have pretty big hands. You should buy the length you like. That's why they make different lengths.

7.5 is where I am heading. Looking for a std Redhawk not the Super.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grin

Context is important......

Now with even more aplomb
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JPro
grin

Context is important......

Yeah it is grin

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I wouldn't tough another man's ANACONDA

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have had a 7 1/2" stainless Redhawk .44 magnum for 29 years. It sure isn't much of a belt gun, but it's fine in a shoulder holster. I put a Hogue grip on it years ago and that, and the gun's weight, makes it a real pussycat to shoot with heavy duty .44 magnum loads. My usual load with that revolver is a 300 grain XTP with a healthy dose of 2400. It's easy enough to hit stuff out at 100 yards plus a little bit that it makes a pretty handy substitute for a short-range rifle.

If I'm more concerned with carryability in a .44 magnum, my 629 Mountain Gun gets the nod.

Mathew 22: 37-39

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by cra1948
I have had a 7 1/2" stainless Redhawk .44 magnum for 29 years. It sure isn't much of a belt gun, but it's fine in a shoulder holster. I put a Hogue grip on it years ago and that, and the gun's weight, makes it a real pussycat to shoot with heavy duty .44 magnum loads. My usual load with that revolver is a 300 grain XTP with a healthy dose of 2400. It's easy enough to hit stuff out at 100 yards plus a little bit that it makes a pretty handy substitute for a short-range rifle.

If I'm more concerned with carryability in a .44 magnum, my 629 Mountain Gun gets the nod.

My friend bought one of the first Redhawks Ruger sold in our part of NJ. I loved shooting that gun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't see what "big hands" has to do with the barrel size. The rest of the gun is all exactly the same regardless of barrel size.

If 2 inches of barrel makes that big a difference to people may be THE GUN is not for you. If you NEED shooting sticks to shoot it, it is for sure not for you. It is a HAND GUN not an artillery emplacement.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JackRyan
I don't see what "big hands" has to do with the barrel size. The rest of the gun is all exactly the same regardless of barrel size.

If 2 inches of barrel makes that big a difference to people may be THE GUN is not for you. If you NEED shooting sticks to shoot it, it is for sure not for you. It is a HAND GUN not an artillery emplacement.

No one "NEEDS" anything else to shoot.

Maybe you "need" a big bore to know what you are talking about.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I called the dealer and asked him what the barrel length was, the genius behind the counter was too lazy to look at the box and tell me what the length was. Turned out it was 7.5 after another salesperson told me it was sold just a few minutes earlier. Oh Well
Sorry to hear you missed out. It would've been a good one.

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I called the dealer and asked him what the barrel length was, the genius behind the counter was too lazy to look at the box and tell me what the length was. Turned out it was 7.5 after another salesperson told me it was sold just a few minutes earlier. Oh Well
Sorry to hear you missed out. It would've been a good one.

Yeah, this is the second time I have been misinformed by a counter clerk at this store where 44 mags do not last long. That said it is still my favorite store. grin I will buy one within a few days just may not be NIB.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The .44 Magnum has a relatively high expansion ratio so small decreases in barrel length aren't going to affect muzzle velocity as much as, say, a .357 Magnum which benefits more from longer barrels. So any velocity consideration between the 7.5" or 5.5" barrels is splitting a fine hair.

Both are over 3 pounds, the 5.5 just over and the 7.5 adds another five ounces so neither one is a "packin' gun" kind of gun. That extra 2" of barrel out front does reduce recoil but again, with full power loads in a .44 Magnum both fall into the "it's really gonna kick" category. The extra 2" also adds more sight radius but it sounds like you anticipate shooting at ranges and at targets that don't require that last nth degree of precision.

My personal choice would be a 5.5" just for the slightly reduced weight and the fact that for the purposes indicated you're not handicapping yourself ballistically. If'n it was a dedicated hunting handgun where 100 yard shots might be reasonably expected I'd get the 7.5". Also, this is purely aesthetic but I've had a couple examples of each barrel length over the years and to my mind that 5.5" Redhawk is one of the most balanced looking revolvers out there.

Basically, pay your money and take your pick since either one will fill the bill as well as the other for the purposes indicated.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve had a 7.5” since right after they were introduced and have killed tin cans, rocks, and a couple of whitetail deer with mine. In the interim, I have had several 5.5” RedHawks and currently have the best of the lot, two 4” models in addition to the aforementioned 7.5”. If I’m gonna hunt exclusively with a handgun, it’ll be with the 7.5” due to the longer sight radius and my ability to hit my target at a little longer distance. I carry it in an old “Roy’s” Hidden Thunder shoulder holster with no problems. All other uses of a Redhawk are accomplished with one of the 4” models. All have had an action job and have very nice triggers. Despite what the Ruger haters say, a Redhawk is a great revolver to own and use. Get you one!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

At 100 yards shooting 300 grain XTPs my 7.5" Redhawk is a tackdriver.

The first pic shows three shots, there are two on the left. It is simply an elongated hole.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

I had a Biden moment what can I say.

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

At 100 yards shooting 300 grain XTPs my 7.5" Redhawk is a tackdriver.

The first pic shows three shots, there are two on the left. It is simply an elongated hole.

Good information. Do you find the trigger better on the Redhawk vs the Super Redhawk?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
It's almost impossible to find one , the last one I saw had a 5.5 barrel and was covered with NRA engraving. Dealer just got one in with a 7.5 barrel and it almost seems like too much of a good thing.

Uses will be unfortunate doe culls and Hogs. It Will be riding in a Kenai designs chest holster.

Buy it. Great gun. I had a blued one with that length barrel and the Ruger ring setup ... wish I still did.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Believe me if I had the chance to get a 3rd Redhawk for a good deal I wouldn’t hesitate. Preferably in 45colt.
But a Kodiak 44mag would look good in my safe too. Looked at a couple in the past year but way out of my price range.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,869 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,359
Posts18,468,939
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.