Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

There is a book called “the perfect shot” that a Large animal vet in Africa wrote on that high shoulder shoot that pops the nerve running up the neck, and also cuts the major artery going to the brain.

I’ve done that shot, and the animal locks up from the nerve thing, and faints because of the blood to the brain thing.
Some times they fall over like a chair with stiff legs.

Originally Posted by Redhill
Lately I've been watching more and more hunting shows and videos during these winter months and with the Chinese flue restrictions. Some of the videos on the long range kills show animals dropping and almost bouncing when hit at these extended distances of 500-1000 yards. I find the "put down" effect impressive and yet many of these animals are taken with 6.5 CM, 7mm and other somewhat moderate calibers.

I remember shooting elk at 100-150 yards with hot loaded .270's and 30-06's and 300WM's and not seeing this "bang-flop effect". Is that because those animals I shot at those closer distances where most of the time spooked by me before being shot and when pumped up with adrenaline; and the animals taken at 750 yards usually are not aware of hunters around and are calm???

Interesting to watch and wondering what is the most likely reason for those impressive long range kills.

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by bluefish
That ain't hunting.

Is he hunting?
Rich Coyle (541)450-4170
richlovessuemsn.com

A guy walks to the woods carrying his long bow in one hand. On his back, along side his small backpack is a quiver with a few wooden arrows. The back pack carries a canteen and enough food for one day. Is he hunting?

A guy drives to the woods in a pickup. He gets out throws on his small backpack with a canteen and enough food for one day. He has a quiver with a few arrows attached to his compound bow and heads into the woods. He has a range finder on his belt. Is he hunting?

A guy walks out his back door and heads for the woods with his open sighted .30-30 rifle. He has a canteen and a little lunch in a small fanny pack. Is he hunting?

A guy drives to the woods in his pickup. He gets out and grabs his .270 with a 3-9X scope sighted in for 100 yards. He takes a few cartridges out of the box and puts them into his pocket. He puts on a backpack which has a rangefinder and enough food and water for a whole day; and a little more if he decides to stay in the woods. Is he hunting?

A guy drives to the woods in his pickup. He gets out. He puts on his binoculars which he installed in a bino-buddy. He then puts on his backpack which contains enough food and water for a day. On his belt is a rangefinder. He picks up his long range 7STW with a Swarovski z5 5-25X52 sighted in for 300 yards mounted on it. Installed on the fore end is a bipod. Is he hunting?

A guy drives to the woods in his pickup. He goes to a clear-cut he scouted earlier in the year. After pulling off the roads at an abandoned landing he gets out a portable benchrest and sets it up. He then places a range finder on it to one side. Then he sets out a front rest and a rear sandbag on the bench rest. He carefully places a .30-378 Wea Mag carrying a Nightforce 12-42X56 scope sighted in for 100 yards. He can adjust the turret for the range at which he sees game. He gets out a set of Minox 15X58 Big Eyes and mounts them on a tri-pod. Is he hunting?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I just call it "Going Afield"

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
1. You show up at my moose camp with anything less than a 300 Win Mag ? you ain't going hunting .... period .....

2. pass 1 ? next , you shoot a 6" diameter steel plate at 500 yards with your rifle & ammo , cold bore and miss ? you ain't going moose hunting .... period .... these are the only two requirements , can't do either ? piss off

I don't have time to mess with 100 yard max, terrified of recoil, unable to learn ballistics gundummies in my moose camp ....

shots can be 30 yards to 500 yards at any given time during the hunt and at times much further,

if you can't shoot or don't have the proper equipment or knowledge ? then you ain't a hunter and just another gundummy, ain't got time fo that

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Originally Posted by bluefish
That ain't hunting.

Nonsense.....

They only show you what they want you to see. Sell more rifles, scopes and ammo that way.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Swamplord
1. You show up at my moose camp with anything less than a 300 Win Mag ? you ain't going hunting .... period .....

2. pass 1 ? next , you shoot a 6" diameter steel plate at 500 yards with your rifle & ammo , cold bore and miss ? you ain't going moose hunting .... period .... these are the only two requirements , can't do either ? piss off

I don't have time to mess with 100 yard max, terrified of recoil, unable to learn ballistics gundummies in my moose camp ....

shots can be 30 yards to 500 yards at any given time during the hunt and at times much further,

if you can't shoot or don't have the proper equipment or knowledge ? then you ain't a hunter and just another gundummy, ain't got time fo that

After seeing you numerous pics and posts with you moose, it would be hard to argue with anything you have to say about moose hunting.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 56 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.