Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Sykotik
I killed one at 45 yards back in my youth with a 45# round wheel bow. I don't why that deer didn't just step out of the way.....It took quite a while for the arrow to get there.

Since then, I limit my shots to 30 yards and under. Every deer I have ever shot at within that range, I have killed, tagged and eaten.

I've left a lot walk over the years, but I'm okay with that.

It gets easier to let game walk when you age. 40 to 45 yds for me in ideal conditions. 25 yds with long bow. Pass on 10 to 15 yd shot if angle too steep from tree stand.

I shoot at 100 yards and can really see how good your form and follow through is.

GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’m a 30 yard shooter.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by hookeye
Downhill.... treestands....
Lots a folks dont bend at the waist.
Then theres the change in feel, dropping the arm or pushing up to counter the feeling.

good point.
platform piviot..
set up a decline target off the deck.
that way I can sneak out for a couple..

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
If a totally unsuspecting, calm relaxed deer with no wind and looking away from me I would say 50 yards. On a pig I might stretch it to 75 yards when I practice at that distance and they need to be reduced on my lease

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Back in the 80s a club nearby had a steep 60 yarder.
It was an eye opener.

Even today, a lot of folks think shoot the hypotenuse and not the horizontal leg.

Even had a math major ( graduate ) tell me i was wrong, and that gravity helped on downhills.

I asked him why you shoot it the same uphill? And handed him a Lyman reloading manual w the diagram/ explanation.

Hook,
That's a great analogy!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by hanco
I’m a 30 yard shooter.

hanco'

That's always been my comfort zone, and I've taken many under that.

I would always practice out farther but never took game much past that!

Had a small 8 point(Eastern count), White tail Buck, walk in to 8 feet,(2-3 yds.) while I was standing in a Corn field, stalking!
That was a fun Hunt!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by pacecars
If a totally unsuspecting, calm relaxed deer with no wind and looking away from me I would say 50 yards. On a pig I might stretch it to 75 yards when I practice at that distance and they need to be reduced on my lease

My son is practicing out there at 50-60 yds. getting comfortable.
As I watch him, he's taking a few farther out, to get acclimated.
He's a big fan, as I am, not to take a bad shot, and he's taken it to several levels, with his practical scientific approach, knowing his equipment, and looking at ballistics of his Arrows!

He Can tell me how much arc his Arrow will have at a certain distance, so he knows if he'll hit a branch or not!
Heck, we just guessed if we could make the shot or not back in the Day!

Computers, and all the available tools are there if we want to use them!

Last edited by HunterShooter58; 07/07/21.

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Then theres the change in feel, dropping the arm or pushing up to counter the feeling.

good point.
platform piviot..

They had a big elevated platform years ago at a F&W area.
It allowed one to practice comfortably and safely from it.

Honestly, I just shot a few from a treestand way back, for a few shots and learned how things felt different, accepted it and never worried or practiced it again.

IMHO its the 10 yard and in stuff that poses the biggest difference.

When people shot fingers theyd see a deer at 20 and follow it in to 10, lowering bow arm while holding same anchor.
Changing finger pressures.

That and holding pin on wrong spot, made a lot of shots go high.

Bend at the waist, and aim where you are supposed to smile

Half way up on a broadside out a ways aint the same as halfway up when you are seeing more of the back when tjey are closer

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

good point.
platform piviot..

They had a big elevated platform years ago at a F&W area.
It allowed one to practice comfortably and safely from it.

Honestly, I just shot a few from a treestand way back, for a few shots and learned how things felt different, accepted it and never worried or practiced it again.

IMHO its the 10 yard and in stuff that poses the biggest difference.

When people shot fingers theyd see a deer at 20 and follow it in to 10, lowering bow arm while holding same anchor.
Changing finger pressures.

That and holding pin on wrong spot, made a lot of shots go high.

Bend at the waist, and aim where you are supposed to smile

Half way up on a broadside out a ways aint the same as halfway up when you are seeing more of the back when they are closer.

Have not shot elevated practice for decades. Dont need to
Recurve or wheels i do just fine

Still like em NOT at the base of my tree. Out a little is easier.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Region6
Lots of variables, what critter, wind, level of alertness and more. Deer and Whitetails 50 yards, Antelope 90 yards is my furthest. I practice to 120 with the compound daily. My recurve I won’t shoot past 20. I practice to 50 with it.

Absolutely,
A lot of Variables!

I agree, if you've done it long enough, a truly ethical hunter, won't take the shot!
Practice, practice, and practice!
Knowing your equipment, and shot placement through practice, gives you Shot Comfort!
In my opinion!

Originally Posted by Sykotik
I killed one at 45 yards back in my youth with a 45# round wheel bow. I don't why that deer didn't just step out of the way.....It took quite a while for the arrow to get there.

Since then, I limit my shots to 30 yards and under. Every deer I have ever shot at within that range, I have killed, tagged and eaten.

I've left a lot walk over the years, but I'm okay with that.

I'm also okay with that!
I think that's also part of it!
You have to be able to let them walk, if your not comfortable with the shot!

Bow hunting isn't for the Lazy!
The challenge is fun, and exiting!
It might not be for everyone, but that's okay too, but once you get hooked, look out!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Many years ago I shot an 80# Hoyt. I was shooting 3 or 4 days a week and regularly shot broadheads at 60 yards. I did shoot a small buck at 53 yards. BUT it was across the corner of a soy bean field from one edge to another AND he gave me time to use the range finder.
It is a whole lot diferent than try to shoot in the woods where your arrow has unseen branches along the path of the arrow's arc. Have you noticed how 3D shoots offer longer shots, but the trails are cleared to be wide open? There is a reason for that.
Since going to recurves, my shots now have to be 20 yards and under.
I often hear crossbow guys tout the range of them, but their trajectory is no better than a good compound. And once you get to 40 yards, the momentum is less.
Stay under 30...

Last edited by WStrayer; 07/10/21.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by WStrayer
Many years ago I shot an 80# Hoyt. I was shooting 3 or 4 days a week and regularly shot broadheads at 60 yards. I did shoot a small buck at 53 yards. BUT it was across the corner of a soy bean field from one edge to another AND he gave me time to use the range finder.
It is a whole lot diferent than try to shoot in the woods where your arrow has unseen branches along the path of the arrow's arc. Have you noticed how 3D shoots offer longer shots, but the trails are cleared to be wide open? There is a reason for that.
Since going to recurves, my shots now have to be 20 yards and under.
I often hear crossbow guys tout the range of them, but their trajectory is no better than a good compound. And once you get to 40 yards, the momentum is less.
Stay under 30...

Great points! Strayer,
I'm in full agreement with your post!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Heck, my last two deer taken with a rifle were 16 and 25 yards... if it were not for antler restriction here in PA, I would not even have a scope mounted rifle.

Last edited by WStrayer; 07/12/21.
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
HunterShooter58, Yes, when I said traditional shooter, I meant recurve. However, now I find myself shooting my longbow almost exclusively. It's 64" and #51 at my 28" draw. "D" style longbow with slightly backset limbs. It's a bow I made and a copy of an old Louie Armbruster Zebra longbow, other than the slightly dished handle. I shoot off the shelf, split finger style, wood arrows (mostly lodgepole pine) and three 5" feathers in a left wing helical. Also, I shoot Fred Asbell instinctive style, not gap or "three fingers under" and don't use the tip of my arrow as an aiming point. I've shot this way for over 50 years and for me it works. There's nothing quite like the "mystical flight of the arrow" to quote Ted Nugent. If you want to try traditional shooting, get yourself a copy of G. Fed Asbell's book, "Instinctive Shooting". It's geared towards recurves and gives all the basics. His follow up book, "Instinctive Shooting II" is more directed towards longbows. I highly recommend both.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by WStrayer
Heck, my last two deer taken with a rifle were 16 and 25 yards... if it were not for antler restriction here in PA, I would not even have a scope mounted rifle.

I understand that!

Originally Posted by Utahunter
HunterShooter58, Yes, when I said traditional shooter, I meant recurve. However, now I find myself shooting my longbow almost exclusively. It's 64" and #51 at my 28" draw. "D" style longbow with slightly backset limbs. It's a bow I made and a copy of an old Louie Armbruster Zebra longbow, other than the slightly dished handle. I shoot off the shelf, split finger style, wood arrows (mostly lodgepole pine) and three 5" feathers in a left wing helical. Also, I shoot Fred Asbell instinctive style, not gap or "three fingers under" and don't use the tip of my arrow as an aiming point. I've shot this way for over 50 years and for me it works. There's nothing quite like the "mystical flight of the arrow" to quote Ted Nugent. If you want to try traditional shooting, get yourself a copy of G. Fed Asbell's book, "Instinctive Shooting". It's geared towards recurves and gives all the basics. His follow up book, "Instinctive Shooting II" is more directed towards longbows. I highly recommend both.

That's cool as heck!
The old Fred Bear, style re visited!
One of my early heroes!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58
What is the longest shot, that you feel comfortable taking at live Game?

Has been 70 yards back in the day , more like 40 now a days with aches and pains limiting confidence inspiring daily practice.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by jeeper
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58
What is the longest shot, that you feel comfortable taking at live Game?

Has been 70 yards back in the day , more like 40 now a days with aches and pains limiting confidence inspiring daily practice.

I completely understand that!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Ill proly shorten my max a little since my new bow is of lesser #.

Dont care what system a trad shooter uses.
Its all about hitting your target.

Seen too many supposed purists shoot like chit.

What is nice about trad, theres more than one way to shoot a bow well. Experiment and find what system works best for you smile

Last edited by hookeye; 07/15/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
35 yards with a compound but I rarely hunt with one anymore. Inside of 20 with my recurve. I like hunting with traditional archery but Michigan archery has almost turned into an extension of rifle season. Most of my “archery hunting” now is with a crossbow to extend the season and take advantage of the rut. My longest crossbow kill was 50 yards with perfect conditions, plenty of daylight and a relaxed broadside deer. He jumped the string a bit but it was still a good double lung shot I’m not sure I’d do it again.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Ill proly shorten my max a little since my new bow is of lesser #.

Dont care what system a trad shooter uses.
Its all about hitting your target.

Seen too many supposed purists shoot like chit.

What is nice about trad, theres more than one way to shoot a bow well. Experiment and find what system works best for you smile

I agree Hook!

Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
35 yards with a compound but I rarely hunt with one anymore. Inside of 20 with my recurve. I like hunting with traditional archery but Michigan archery has almost turned into an extension of rifle season. Most of my “archery hunting” now is with a crossbow to extend the season and take advantage of the rut. My longest crossbow kill was 50 yards with perfect conditions, plenty of daylight and a relaxed broadside deer. He jumped the string a bit but it was still a good double lung shot I’m not sure I’d do it again.

Sounds like fun to me!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,433 guests, and 797 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,574
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.