Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
What is the longest shot, that you feel comfortable taking at live Game?

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
30 yards for me.

I'm out there for the challenge of getting in close. No reason to push the limit for me on game. Most of the time anymore I take my recurve anyway and bump it down to 20 yard limit.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Deer, with wheels and release....50 yards.
Practice farther though.

Recurve 30 early and late season 20.

Id be happy zipping em all at 10 to 15 though

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I stepped back the other day from 17 to 23 with the recurve and saw noticeably more arc...
given I am still getting to know the bow...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Too many variables to give an answer....animal position, alertness, what it it's doing etc. Also the terrain and surrounding cover for observing impact and subsequent followup on the shot? Wind? Time of day? Lighting conditions? I will say I practice out as far as 100 yards on the level and downhill shots on the mountain in the back yard. But I hunt within the the 5 fixed pins on my slider sight (0 - 60 yds). Would take a followup way out there if a wounded critter gave me a shot. I really like 20 to 40 yard shots. Under 20 and things can often fall apart. Over 40 becomes much more critical on a variety of fronts but still very doable.

Good luck to the original poster!

IC B2

A
AEL Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I'm with Kurt52 - its more about the conditions, animal position, etc. I regularly shoot way farther in practice than I would at game. A couple of things that can help in practice is to borrow from cold-bore rifle practice and make your first shots of a session the hardest. Also, good 3D shoots can help give you an idea of comfort range. I shot in one recently where the max distance on a 25-target course was 112 and the closest was 47. The hardest shots on the course were some of the closer targets that were in difficult settings and at steep angles. Another thing that helps it to introduce some stress into your practice, like getting a quick shot off at odd ranges, or shooting against buddies, especially the type that like to sh*t talk while you are shooting.... I like to pick odd ranges to shoot from too. Instead of shooting at 60-80-100, I might do 63, 74, etc. Its more realistic. All that said, my comfort range in real hunting situations where I'm cold, tired, etc. is probably around half my comfortable target ranges.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My furtherest has been 44 yards, double lunged elk.
Much prefer 30 or less but would take 40 plus in right circumstances. Meaning animal not alert, and broadside or slight quartering away.

NRA Patron
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
30 yards for me.

I'm out there for the challenge of getting in close. No reason to push the limit for me on game. Most of the time anymore I take my recurve anyway and bump it down to 20 yard limit.

-Jake

I like that Jake. Bowhunting has helped to make me a better hunter. Like you said, getting closer.
Hard to put a price on what you learn, when getting closer to your Game!
Bowhunting, has taught me a lot of Patience Also!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Kurt52
Too many variables to give an answer....animal position, alertness, what it it's doing etc. Also the terrain and surrounding cover for observing impact and subsequent followup on the shot? Wind? Time of day? Lighting conditions? I will say I practice out as far as 100 yards on the level and downhill shots on the mountain in the back yard. But I hunt within the the 5 fixed pins on my slider sight (0 - 60 yds). Would take a followup way out there if a wounded critter gave me a shot. I really like 20 to 40 yard shots. Under 20 and things can often fall apart. Over 40 becomes much more critical on a variety of fronts but still very doable.

Good luck to the original poster!

Yeah, A lot of good points here also.
The Equipment used, and then the Variable's of the Conditions, like you say, all enter in!
Practice, Practice, Practice!
Never a shortage, or excuse for not getting enough practice!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by AEL
I'm with Kurt52 - its more about the conditions, animal position, etc. I regularly shoot way farther in practice than I would at game. A couple of things that can help in practice is to borrow from cold-bore rifle practice and make your first shots of a session the hardest. Also, good 3D shoots can help give you an idea of comfort range. I shot in one recently where the max distance on a 25-target course was 112 and the closest was 47. The hardest shots on the course were some of the closer targets that were in difficult settings and at steep angles. Another thing that helps it to introduce some stress into your practice, like getting a quick shot off at odd ranges, or shooting against buddies, especially the type that like to sh*t talk while you are shooting.... I like to pick odd ranges to shoot from too. Instead of shooting at 60-80-100, I might do 63, 74, etc. Its more realistic. All that said, my comfort range in real hunting situations where I'm cold, tired, etc. is probably around half my comfortable target ranges.

Some more good points and variables to consider!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
IC B3

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I shoot only traditional and have for over 50 years. For me, an elk is too far away at more than 40 yards and a deer too far at more than 30 yards. And I'm talking standing, broadside or slightly quartering away. I've never shot an animal at more than about 27 yards. For me, it's all about getting as close as I can, NOT seeing how far away I can hit an animal. If I can't get close enough, I'll pass up the shot rather than taking a chance at wounding it.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Utahunter
I shoot only traditional and have for over 50 years. For me, an elk is too far away at more than 40 yards and a deer too far at more than 30 yards. And I'm talking standing, broadside or slightly quartering away. I've never shot an animal at more than about 27 yards. For me, it's all about getting as close as I can, NOT seeing how far away I can hit an animal. If I can't get close enough, I'll pass up the shot rather than taking a chance at wounding it.

So when you say Traditional, I'm assuming a re curve, Correct?
I tip my hat to you, I always told my self some day I'm gonna, but never did!
I completely understand, what your saying here about, not taking the wrong shot, and possibly wounding an Animal, I agree!

SHOT COMFORT!
You've explained that very well, also, like the others!

I don't care who you are or how far.
You have to be Comfortable taking the shot, at live Game!

SHOT COMFORT!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I dont take shots Im not comfortable with
And yardage doesnt dictate everything

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
On trad.....style and setup can influence it too

Some folks use the arrow as a sight.
Fixed crawl, face walking ?

Your point on distance might be out a ways, and actually pretty easy to shoot well.

Closer w larger gap may be tougher.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
any thoughts on decline?

or

I guess scratch that,
85-98% of 20-49yds is a pretty small reduction in the distance gravity acts in the arrow, though air friction is higher than fir lead.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Adjusting for the declination angle of the shot can be a significant yardage at very steel angles....45* down means about a 30% reduction in the yardage you hold for....40 yards line of sight is shot for 28 yards in my example. You may get even steeper angles in sheep and goat country.

But, besides the shot angle yardage that is calculated by most rangefinders these days, I find it much more difficult to shoot accurately on a steep down hill shot....reducing my effective yardage significantly. Practice some steep angle shots and you will see what I'm talking about.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Back in the 80s a club nearby had a steep 60 yarder.
It was an eye opener.

Even today, a lot of folks think shoot the hypotenuse and not the horizontal leg.

Even had a math major ( graduate ) tell me i was wrong, and that gravity helped on downhills.

I asked him why you shoot it the same uphill? And handed him a Lyman reloading manual w the diagram/ explanation.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Downhill.... treestands....
Lots a folks dont bend at the waist.
Then theres the change in feel, dropping the arm or pushing up to counter the feeling.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Lots of variables, what critter, wind, level of alertness and more. Deer and Whitetails 50 yards, Antelope 90 yards is my furthest. I practice to 120 with the compound daily. My recurve I won’t shoot past 20. I practice to 50 with it.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I killed one at 45 yards back in my youth with a 45# round wheel bow. I don't why that deer didn't just step out of the way.....It took quite a while for the arrow to get there.

Since then, I limit my shots to 30 yards and under. Every deer I have ever shot at within that range, I have killed, tagged and eaten.

I've left a lot walk over the years, but I'm okay with that.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,597 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,544
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.