Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
MAC Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
In Dec my wonderful wife bought me a T/C Compass in 308 for Christmas because I had expressed a desire for a truck gun that I didn't have to worry about getting beat up. I had a Nikon 4x scope laying around that I put on it and spent the next couple of months rounding up loading components. I had never had a 308 so I needed everything except primers. Normally I do nearly all my shooting with a 7mm Mag and a 9.3x62 Mauser and most of that powder isn't suggested for the 308 so I had a time getting some Varget but did finally scrounge some up. Rounded up 4 or 5 different bullets and loaded up nearly 20 different loads to test at the range, I found the load:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
130 gr Barnes TTSX (I know I spelled Barnes wrong on the target), 44.3 grs of Varget and a Fed LR primer. That is a 100 yard group. I got one nearly as good with a Hornady 150 gr SP and 44.5 grs of Varget. Now to load up at least 50 of each and I'm ready to test the rifle on some whitetail does this fall.

Cheers Y'All

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the 130TTSX, so that'll work! Good to know you also have a cheaper load that works nicely as well.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great load and excellent rifle. You will likely find it shoots factory ammo extremely well also.

God Bless America
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

A friend bought a Compass last year before deer season. It’s a shooting s.o.b.

The 130 ttsx is quite the bullet.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’m gonna have to try that load, use 150 GameKings in my rifles.

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Now it's time to confirm that load and see if its repeatable.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
They kill the hell out of pigs at 300 Savage speeds.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Sounds like you have an accurate rifle. Try some other bullets, bet they’re accurate too.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have been shooting whitetails with the 130 TSX for 8 or 9 years now. I'm using 49 grains which is Barnes max now with T/TSX back then it was 52 with TSX and the same components and pretty much the same velocity.

You're going to like the combo. Be sure and post results.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Too complicated. Just shoot a single 3 shot group and you are good to go.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

laugh

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

MAC Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker

What I find incredible is that you would assume that is what I did without even knowing me. I have shot the load 4 times with consitent results which is why I can state I found my load. By the way I have been churning out handloads for over 40 years so I know a thing or 2 about testing loads.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by MAC

What I find incredible is that you would assume that is what I did without even knowing me. I have shot the load 4 times with consitent results which is why I can state I found my load. By the way I have been churning out handloads for over 40 years so I know a thing or 2 about testing loads.

Originally Posted by MAC
Rounded up 4 or 5 different bullets and loaded up nearly 20 different loads to test at the range, I found the load:

Mac, forgive me but in context, it appeared this was the first and only group you'd shot with this load. Glad to hear you've confirmed it on multiple range session. Sounds like you're ready to kill something with your new .308.

MAC Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MAC

Originally Posted by MAC
Rounded up 4 or 5 different bullets and loaded up nearly 20 different loads to test at the range, I found the load:

Mac, forgive me but in context, it appeared this was the first and only group you'd shot with this load. Glad to hear you've confirmed it on multiple range session. Sounds like you're ready to kill something with your new .308.

Nope. Multiple range sessions. Shot each load multiple times. As I stated, I've been handloading for over 40 years and know not to trust a single shoot.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
the 308 and varget is a marriage made in heaven

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I shoot the 130 TTSX out of a M70 in 308 with TAC and getting good groups out to 300 yds. Hitting 3" high at 100 yds only drops 1 1/2" out to 300 yds. Shot it yesterday at 300 and went thru 9 wet phone books and into a piece of 2 x 6 board....got 2 recovered bullets and all pealed back and no weight loss. Might have to try that on elk this fall. Also got some 150 TTSX to load up with CFE223 to try.

O.B.Wallace
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Mac,
Seeing as the Ruger M77 in 308 Win is my primary big game (elk & deer) rifle. I think I will have to give the 130 TTSX a try! I have never reloaded solids for any of my elk capable rifles (308, 7x57, or 8x57), so I may have been missing out on some great alternatives.. My primary go to bullets for reloading are usually Nosler PTs or Accubonds for elk; and adding in some Hornady selections for deer. Thanks for the great post and info!
CJ

Last edited by CascadeJinx; 07/23/21.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Looks like a dandy shooting load, I found out TC {S&W} quit building rifles this year. I own a Venture II, sad deal as they are a decent rifle.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What kind of speeds are most of you getting with Varget and the 130’s?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting bit of history.

Early on, I hand loaded my accurized pre 64 M70 FW .308 and was getting good accuracy with 5/8 inch 100 yard groups with 150 grain bullets.

Then Hornady came out with their Light Magnum and it was as good or better, so I stopped hand loading and went hunting- never regretted the change.
Still shooting the Hornady ammo and a box of 20 lasts a few years as there is no need to waste ammo plinking on the rifle range. Also been many years since I messed with the scope sight adjustments.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 11point, 68 invisible), 2,866 guests, and 1,406 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,472
Posts18,451,746
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.