Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
Originally Posted by Beaver10
You get get into some Simms g4z for that sort of $$$ and have better waders. Sitka is too proud of their [bleep].

Simms isn’t making any apologies for their gear prices, either.

Sitka, KUIU, Simms, First Lite, and other's similar, are about the same price point.

The G4z don’t have a full boot, which I prefer for waterfowl hunting...Look like nice waders, otherwise.

🦫

You aren’t wrong. All this hunting/fishing stuff has become sort of a fashion and people pay. I was down in homer a few weeks ago and it seemed like half the town was decked out in Sitka and kuiu. [bleep]….I’m wearing kuiu pants at this very moment lol.

There ya go...Makes me laugh when a member here is a Sitka hater, for no other reason than calling the gear flat brimmer wearables...Then you see a pic they post of themselves in KUIU. Laffin.

I will check out the G4z waders, if the Delta’s feel like they won’t handle light punishment

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
G4z are just layered Gortex. Pretty thin. If you upsize and layer they might work. They have G3’s in Camo

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Springcove
G4z are just layered Gortex. Pretty thin. If you upsize and layer they might work. They have G3’s in Camo

Camo G3’s are what I’m currently using but it’s last years camo, not the current pattern. I love them and don’t have issues with layering them up. I’m in and out of boats and rafts while I moose hunt, hiking, sitting, butchering and I always get at least 3 years out of a pair. They are also easy to repair, I just smear aqua seal over pinholes which I rarely get and move on.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I talked to a few guys in Idaho that used them duck hunting. Said they were ok but not worth the money.

Hmmm. The reviews have been all over the board from hunters. Excellent, best ever made...Meh, overpriced - Should’ve just went with a Cabela’s offering.

Sitka has a solid return policy...If they look and feel fragile....They’re going back. I’m hard on waders. 3 sets here currently.

🦫

My cousin guides at a high dollar duck club in Idaho. All the members have them but have to send them back at the end of the season.

I’m like you and very hard on waders. I’ve looked at them every time I go to Scheels but just can’t see spending $1000 on waders I know I will probably tear.

Just my 2 cents…

Yeah, SC, I was hopeful the material would feel/be durable. Based on what you’re saying, the fabric sounds thin and flimsy. That’s an automatic return for me.

Appreciate the information.

🦫

I think if your sitting in a plush blind at a private club or on a boat they would be fine. But if your like me and bust brush I just can’t see it.

I am looking for a new pair myself. Cabelas 5mm waders are not what they used to be. After last year I should buy stock in Aqua seal…

Laffin...No plush blinds with maid service here.

You are absolutely right about Cabelas 5mm not what they used to be. I have a pair of waist high waders from back when they were made well. They have a few patches in them, but the crotch seam flexed and opened over time. A wet and cold nut sack isn’t fun at first light.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm not sure I could tell you the amount of money I've spent on duck hunting waders.

I haven't gone sitka, but I get the argument.

My latest banded insulated pair has lasted about 2 seasons, that's the longest I've ever gotten. Cabelas, lacrosse, frogg toggs, simms, llbean, usia. They all suck.

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
JFC! A geezul to kill a phuggin duck? I can call up the local chinks and have one roasted and served w/ rice and noodles and those weird buns w/ crazy sauce delivered to my door for $50.00. Spend your money on gear for wolf hunting.

I can see investing in a waterproof dog to go get schidt you kill but waterproof pants? GMAFB.

Pro tip: You can buy a Kokotat GTX dry suit for $1k. I am totally mindphugged over those waders.

OK, I have peeled myself off the ceiling and am prepared to admit that $ spent on fun is never wasted. Do they have a waterproof jacket to go w/ those pants?

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Camo G3’s are what I’m currently using but it’s last years camo, not the current pattern. I love them and don’t have issues with layering them up. I’m in and out of boats and rafts while I moose hunt, hiking, sitting, butchering and I always get at least 3 years out of a pair. They are also easy to repair, I just smear aqua seal over pinholes which I rarely get and move on.

I have only seen the camo online nobody around here seems to have them. I was looking at the regular G3’s today at Scheels. But those will be for fly fishing.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I talked to a few guys in Idaho that used them duck hunting. Said they were ok but not worth the money.

Hmmm. The reviews have been all over the board from hunters. Excellent, best ever made...Meh, overpriced - Should’ve just went with a Cabela’s offering.

Sitka has a solid return policy...If they look and feel fragile....They’re going back. I’m hard on waders. 3 sets here currently.

🦫

My cousin guides at a high dollar duck club in Idaho. All the members have them but have to send them back at the end of the season.

I’m like you and very hard on waders. I’ve looked at them every time I go to Scheels but just can’t see spending $1000 on waders I know I will probably tear.

Just my 2 cents…

Yeah, SC, I was hopeful the material would feel/be durable. Based on what you’re saying, the fabric sounds thin and flimsy. That’s an automatic return for me.

Appreciate the information.

🦫

I think if your sitting in a plush blind at a private club or on a boat they would be fine. But if your like me and bust brush I just can’t see it.

I am looking for a new pair myself. Cabelas 5mm waders are not what they used to be. After last year I should buy stock in Aqua seal…

Laffin...No plush blinds with maid service here.

You are absolutely right about Cabelas 5mm not what they used to be. I have a pair of waist high waders from back when they were made well. They have a few patches in them, but the crotch seam flexed and opened over time. A wet and cold nut sack isn’t fun at first light.

🦫

Ya a cold 🥶 nut sack will wake you right up…

😂

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by lvmiker
JFC! A geezul to kill a phuggin duck? I can call up the local chinks and have one roasted and served w/ rice and noodles and those weird buns w/ crazy sauce delivered to my door for $50.00. Spend your money on gear for wolf hunting.

I can see investing in a waterproof dog to go get schidt you kill but waterproof pants? GMAFB.

Pro tip: You can buy a Kokotat GTX dry suit for $1k. I am totally mindphugged over those waders.

OK, I have peeled myself off the ceiling and am prepared to admit that $ spent on fun is never wasted. Do they have a waterproof jacket to go w/ those pants?

mike r

Yes they have jackets. That will run you another $6-700…

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have never owned a pair of waders and have never been a big waterfowler, but it is a huge industry around here. I can only imagine the abuse your waders go through. I used to run the repair center for DRI (many years ago), catering to mostly public safety dive and water/ice rescue teams. I repaired a ton of wetsuits, drysuits etc., makes me think I need a retirement gig fixing gear!

Last edited by troublesome82; 06/30/21. Reason: wording
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

I have only seen the camo online nobody around here seems to have them. I was looking at the regular G3’s today at Scheels. But those will be for fly fishing.

I had the regular grey ones for several seasons and when I finally replaced them, the “fish camo” was half price so I got them. I didn’t think I’d like them but I actually really do like them. The camp they have now is called “riparian camo” I believe.

Apparently both camo patterns are designed to hide you from fish, I don’t know about that as I caught a lot of fish with the grey ones but I do like them.

Last edited by AKPENDUDE; 06/30/21.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

mike r

Beaver Award to me for causing mike r to have his first conniption fit, and a stroke at the same time.

Laffin

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Climbing in and out of a boat and scrubbing around is hard on a wader .

I just looked and MPW is sold out .

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I'm not sure I could tell you the amount of money I've spent on duck hunting waders.

My latest banded insulated pair has lasted about 2 seasons, that's the longest I've ever gotten. Cabelas, lacrosse, frogg toggs, simms, llbean, usia. They all suck.

This is what I’m afraid is the truth.

I will post up pictures of them when they land in a day or so, and what the construction appears to be.

Thanks, all, for the information.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

This is what I’m afraid is the truth.

I will post up pictures of them when they land in a day or so, and what the construction appears to be.

Thanks, all, for the information.

🦫

I’m curious to see what you think when you have them. I think Sitka is a good company and I’m a big fan of John barklow but their stuff is 2x the cost of similar gear from other companies.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

mike r

Sort of a good point about the dry suits being the price of waders but both are specialized pieces of gear. Nobody is going duck hunting in a dry suit and nobody is going to kayak class v water in waders. Sitka usually uses actual gore-Tex not some of the gore Tex knock offs that you see around, I had a kuiu jacket and it was made from “dermizax” or something like that.

While quality waders are expensive, they are worth the $$$, on my yearly moose floats we go for 10+ days and we live out of our waders, I can say without reservation that my Simms G3’s are better than a pair of cheap cabelas or caddis waders.

Kokotat like you mentioned makes great stuff but it’s built pretty specific for hard core white water kayaking. I have their life jacket that is meant for fishing and my wife uses one of their touring life jackets, both are rope quality even compared to companies like astral and nrs.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I spend 40+ days in waders/year duck hunting. If you think any are better than another, you are fooling yourself. You may get lucky, which I've been, but that doesn't make any brand great.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
unfortunately Simms quality aint what it used to be. They have really gone downhill

Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
I would be tempted to try them but at a grand , daamn . If they would last 4 seasons they are worth the bucks .

Are you paying for the durability or warmth ? I stay plenty warm in my Drakes but they only last 2 years .

That’s my hang up too. A thousand bucks is a lot when a pair of g4z is like 850.00 and probably the best wader out there. I get it that the Simms may be warmer but I’ve never had issues staying warm when I layer up in my Simms g3. I also don’t really like boot foot waders, I prefer to be able to pick my boot for the occasion. I use different boots for moose hunting vs a day of fishing although I use the same waders.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
just pick up these. Can get for $200 on sale and great warranty

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/506571?originalProduct=122752&productId=1734061&attrValue_0=Mossy%20Oak%20Shadow%20Grass%20Blades&pla1=0&mr%3AtrackingCode=63D1F113-0398-E911-8102-00505694403D&mr%3AreferralID=NA&mr%3Adevice=c&mr%3AadType=plaonline&qs=3125275&gclid=CjwKCAjwrPCGBhALEiwAUl9X03PeBgPJ_aBT2yaiK-V7lpKu9FoULuYZC-r_sL3996zS-FWw_H-6xhoCPmwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&SN=MasterPrompt04_test&SS=B&SN2=FindabilityRecs05_test&SS2=A&SN3=FindabilityProd07_Cat&SS3=B

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by ribka
unfortunately Simms quality aint what it used to be. They have really gone downhill

Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
I would be tempted to try them but at a grand , daamn . If they would last 4 seasons they are worth the bucks .

Are you paying for the durability or warmth ? I stay plenty warm in my Drakes but they only last 2 years .

That’s my hang up too. A thousand bucks is a lot when a pair of g4z is like 850.00 and probably the best wader out there. I get it that the Simms may be warmer but I’ve never had issues staying warm when I layer up in my Simms g3. I also don’t really like boot foot waders, I prefer to be able to pick my boot for the occasion. I use different boots for moose hunting vs a day of fishing although I use the same waders.

My current pair has been excellent.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,093
Posts18,464,084
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.