Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
gnoahhh Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
With a thread about scales running concurrently, I figured it would be interesting to see what the gang is using in the way of measures. What tools/methods are y'all using to get the powder from the jug into the cartridge cases?

I've used a bunch of measures in my life but I'm happy to skate through my Golden Years (which suck, by the way) using but two. The main one, used primarily at the bench at home, is an ancient Belding&Mull. It is very very consistent and handles all but the coarsest grain powders with aplomb. Even with small charges of small-flaked pistol powders it is a dandy. The downside is its crude adjustment of the drop tube, but once set (with the aid of an equally old 10-10 scale) it stays set and because of its unique sliding powder chamber which stays consistently filled as the powder level drops in the hopper, charges are guaranteed consistent. It's like an old friend I couldn't bear to be without.

The second one is a Harrell's measure. I opted for the Schuetzen model as I reckon to never use it for any higher weight charges than the 25 grains max it's rated for. It is without a doubt the finest swing arm measure I've ever used, in terms of accuracy/consistency and a very subjective "feel" which is hard to verbalize. I use it for pistol charges up through charges of fast-ish powders for the cast bullet .22/.25/.30/.32 shooting I do (said charges hover in the 12-20 grain range typically). Where it shines over the Belding&Mull is in its micrometer-adjusted repeatability - make note of the micrometer setting of the powder drum and I'll guarantee you it'll throw a charge on the money when you revisit that powder/charge six months later. I also like it for outdoor use at the range - I sat and worked out the settings for different powder charges with it at home and then take it to the range when doing experimental work, obviating the effects of wind/weather on the powder dispensing protocols. It really shines in regard to using it for breech seating cast bullets wherein a bullet is seated straight into the rifling ahead of a charged case, said case used over and over countless times without resizing by merely de-and re-capping and then throwing a measure of powder into it. After I got this measure I wondered howinhell I had ever got along without it.

Note, my requirements are fairly simple as I don't employ progressive loading machines - at the home loading bench cases are prepped and lined up in blocks wherein they're filled individually and powder levels in them are checked with a flashlight for safety peace of mind, even "high volume" pistol projects which for me are batches of a couple hundred .38's or .45's. My choice of measures and scales suits me just fine for that.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
BP-B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I mostly use a Redding BR-30 with a baffle in the hopper.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
With a thread about scales running concurrently, I figured it would be interesting to see what the gang is using in the way of measures. What tools/methods are y'all using to get the powder from the jug into the cartridge cases?

When I load for volume, I use a Lee Perfect Powder Measure. For everything else, Lee scoops and a scale.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Harrell's Custom or a Lee's Perfect. Opposite ends of the cost scale but both very accurate.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I had a RCBS but when I got a Redding BR30, I gave the RCBS away.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Only throw I've ever had or used is a Lee. I load and shoot on such a small scale the thing aint worth fiddling with. So I use the dippers to eyeball an approximation into the scale pan and an RCBS trickler to balance the beam.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Earlyagain
So I use the dippers to eyeball an approximation into the scale pan and an RCBS trickler to balance the beam.
I do the same thing. I mostly use IMR stick powders and found the powder measure I have won't measure them consistently anyway. For me it's more efficient to use the measures and add a little.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My current powder measure is made by Hornady......and it's a great tool IMO.

Prior to that I had a Herter's It also was a fine tool.

The development of short cut powders and super short powders has helped a lot for consistency but the biggest assist was when I realized that +/- 1/2 grain of extruded powders in cases like the .270 and .30-06 (and others of that volume and larger) really didn't mean squat. Just load them and go hunting.

Ball powders feed quite accurately in any measure I've ever used and as time moves ahead I find more and more of them in my cupboard.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RCBS Uniflow. Measures most stuff close enough except really course powders like 4831. When it's on the progressive, I just use powder that meters well.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i use a a Redding bench rest volume powder measure on a anchored goose neck thing ,seems to work fine.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Don't ever waste your money on that basic Hornady measure. It is incapable of handling stick powders. The cheesy little Lee perfect kicks its ass.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I inherited a BR-30, but sold it after it wasn’t a good fit for me. Now I just use a Little Dandy for some handgun stuff.

It ain’t for your “favorite” Trail Boss though!

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I've been happy with my Redding BR-30 for rifle cartridges. I load most pistol rounds on a Dillon XL750 with the Dillon powder measure. It works well too.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Harrells, Lyman DPS III, half-dozen Dillon's on tool-heads with dies corresponding their powder make and setting

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Have a Lyman Gen5, but for the most part I use a beam scale and weight each round. Gets cumbersome for pistol rounds, but works quite well.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I only do ball pistol powders so a Lyman 55 works for me

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have a Uniflow that isn't so good with ball powders for some reason. I tried taking it apart and cleaning it again, and fiddling with it to see if I could get the Uniflow to throw a consistent charge. The Lee was better for those propellants. When you have to fuss with your measure all the time, it ends up being faster to use a scoop.

Does anyone have a measure that throws consistently with Unique?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I’m on my second BR-30, the first having gone to the kids. I have both the large and small drums. I’ve always gotten good results. In the past. I would, when using a new powder, take a piece of graph paper and label one axis with the micrometer settings and the other with charge weights in small increments, weigh a couple charges, one near the low end and one near the high, and plot a line through them. Then when I wanted to set it for a particular charge with that powder I could go to my chart for that powder and find the setting that would give me that weight or very, very close to it.

Mathew 22: 37-39

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I am still using the measure that came with my Rockchucker set.

It has been used a lot over the last 40+ years.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like the Uniflow.

I upgraded mine with the Quick Change Metering Cylinder. I have 6 or 7 QC metering screw assemblies adjusted for loads from 10 gr. to 100 gr. So, if I'm gonna load a 60 gr. load, I install the metering screw assembly that's set for a load in that vicinity.

They make small and large assemblies. The small one has a sleeve that cuts down the diameter to that of the Uniflow Small cylinder. Those can be set for light loads and are accurate.

I don't have to do a lot of adjusting, just fine tune the appropriate assembly. I made a wood block with holes to hold the assemblies, each hole with a label.

Works for me.

DF

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
761 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 90 invisible), 3,030 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,706
Posts18,400,100
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.