Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Its early yet, but this isn't good, this one just outside Kamloops is disturbing. Then there is supposed to be lightening later today, likely causing more fires....its quite windy here today. There is also a number of fires growing and are out of control, a couple east of Kelowna that are very concerning, 45 degree's??? not much fire crews can do.

Here is the sparks lake fire.
https://cfjctoday.com/2021/06/30/tn...6-more-properties-near-sparks-lake-fire/

BP-B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
We have been very fortunate, here in the east Kootenays, so far. This could change at any time if we should happen to have a storm front move through. Was up on the Flat head the other day and it didn't seem too bad yet but it's damn dry in the trench. Dries out fast in 100 degree, plus, weather. The hottest day at our house was 111 F. Cooler today (only 95 right now) but a light breeze will only dry things more quickly. GD

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Really windy here, sparks lake fire is over 20,000 hectares as of last night.
Last time I was over in the Kootenay's east/west....I didn't see the bug killed bush like pretty much everywhere else in the interior.
Where I have been working is bug kill tree's 360 degree all around.

The town of Lytton....90% of the town is burned down, they say a train may have started the fire. Which is puzzling because they have known about trains starting fires for a long time now, they must be ok with it.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Its been cool and fairly wet up here so no big fires yet. People are more worried about flooding. Went down to the creek behind the house this afternoon and its higher than Ive ever seen it. The big lakes here wont peak until August and there is a lot of snow to melt yet.

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think counting on any Government agency to save anyone's skin is a bad idea. It takes 2 days for the Governments own "current wildfire activity" site to update, I find that ridiculous. I am also abit stunned by the fact the Province hasn't halted industrial activity in the bush and had logging outfits gather all their fire fighting rigging and be on standby.....its 45+ degree's?? LOL......gonna get some lightening here around here too in abit.

The best place for current info I have found is........https://www.castanetkamloops.net/
or here
https://www.castanetkamloops.net/ne...t-of-Kamloops-now-20-000-hectares#338589
They update constantly.....read the story about CN stopping activity, no schitt.

Last edited by 673; 07/01/21.
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Last big fire we had here, they Forest service would not let the loggers fight the fire because they weren't certified. The contractor said they could have had the fire contained in a couple of hours. Instead, he pulled his equipment out and let the forest service fight it for three weeks.
Thunder storms right now. Have not seen any lightning strikes. Pouring rain on our house (yay!). Should, at least, settle the dust a bit. Fire on northwest Plumbob; about five miles as the crow flies. Ten miles if the crow is driving. I might go have a look when the rain lets up. This is a very timely shower. If we don't get any serious lightning strikes, and no tourists start any fires, we'll be good. Temp dropped from 101 to 84 in about ten minutes. Oh! hail now! GD

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The most inept Government entity is forestry.

Loggers have the equipment and know how to use it, go places with a skidder+Crawler that would make most people puke.

I have 350-400 gallons of water and a pump on a truck I have here, in case of a roadside type flare up, of which we have had several over the years...the locals put them out or controlled them until someone else comes with the big stuff.

Lightening out now, big time.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by 673
The most inept Government entity is forestry.

Loggers have the equipment and know how to use it, go places with a skidder+Crawler that would make most people puke.

I have 350-400 gallons of water and a pump on a truck I have here, in case of a roadside type flare up, of which we have had several over the years...the locals put them out or controlled them until someone else comes with the big stuff.

Lightening out now, big time.

Absolutely true. A very good friend of mine resigned from forestry for that reason. He spent a couple of decades in charge of fighting forest fires but said they brought in so many policies that didnt work that it was impossible to do his job properly.

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
As far as I can tell, thus far two people confirmed to have perished, sadly, I believe there will be more.
https://www.castanetkamloops.net/ne...ted-for-after-wildfire-evacuation#338796

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
An unknown amount of eyewitnesses saw the train start the fire in Lytton, the authorities are trying to weave their web of lies.
Its been 2 weeks now and they are thinking of having a look into it, lol.

Entertainment at its finest...trains have been starting fires for years, everyone knows it. Lets watch how this boondoggle is sidestepped.

IC B3

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So last night around midnight my daughter in law woke me up pounding on the door, she was yelling fire.... I and my Wife get up and look out the window...yup fire....get out to my truck and my Son who lives next door is ready to go.

As I mention in a couple posts up I have 400 gallons of water and hoses and pump on one of my trucks.
We are the first ones there, and one neighbor....its a house fire that is too late to try anything so we go for the spot fires that are going on, my guy puts out 2 spot fires about 10ft around, and by this time another neighbor shows up and puts out a spot fire with his loader.
All 3 of these spot fires were going to become raging interface forest fires...there is no fire protection here but the fire dept from 1/2hr away did show up to this one and contained the structure fire. It was really windy too, fugging scary...there were propane tanks venting and going off too....we have had a number of fires here and the rural community always shows up.

Being prepared for something like a forest fire is an odd feeling of satisfaction lol. The structure is a total loss, nobody hurt, no forest fire.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
673:
Good afternoon and good on you all for dealing with that!

Sincere kudos and a tip of the battered Bailey to one and all for sure.

We just got in from seeing what's up with a bit of a fire east of OK Falls up McLean Creek Road way. So far the wind is pushing the fire up the mountain and away from the houses so that's a plus.

You did well and have every right to feel satisfaction too in my view.

Thanks again and stay well.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, thanks Dwayne.
Fires all over the place now, stay alert down there buddy!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
North of us, Red Lake & Ear Falls are burning up.

Lots of smoke here, with the north west winds.

Last week;

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yesterday, 4pm on the lake;

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Some nasty fires near Dwayne, evacuations...hope all is well for him and others.

Seeing 300-400 vehicles with trailers with everything they could put on them fleeing for their safety is eye opening. People want to help but are afraid to leave their own area for fear of a fire breaking out near them.

People I talk to are wondering why there is still industrial activity going on while new fires are starting daily, with temps upward of 40 degrees projected for the week, and resources are spread so thin. They bring in People from outside the Province when there is resources sitting idle right beside any given fire.

They don't want to put these fires out, just manage them by steering them away from structures etc...

Then, the thieves move in on the unattended homes, yeah hard to believe, but that's what happens.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
673:
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope it's a bit less smoky in your part of the world and you're well.

We're good so far, but the wind is the wrong direction this morning and I can't say I appreciate that too, too much.

Last number we got was that it was 500 hectares last night, but when we went for a drive at 6:00 we really couldn't see anything as the smoke was just hanging into the mountains.

Way back in the day we hunted sheep up where it's burning and it's really exceptionally tough country. There's no logging roads anywhere near there that I'm aware of other than a ranch trail heading up into the canyon.

So far it's been headed more or less to the east which is uninhabited.

It can't go too far north before hitting what burned last summer, so there is that I suppose.

If it comes south we'll have some fun perhaps, but as always we'll have to wait and see.

I'm not sure if they're still logging here or not, sorry.

All the best.

Dwayne

Edit to add;
Just heard on the news it's at least 5 square kilometers now.

As a rough guess, it's about 3 kilometers from our place at present.

There's a bunch of the neighbors on either evacuation notice or alert. We're just outside of that so far.

Last edited by BC30cal; 07/12/21. Reason: more info.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Keeping you, yours & your property in our prayers Dwayne !!

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Paul;
Top of the morning sir and thanks so much for that.

It's something we're not strangers too for sure, but honestly it's always unsettling when you can see it from the home place.

When it's so dry and the trees start popping off like they were last night, it'll throw burning branches a long, long ways away.

If that happens to be in the yard, then it's less than fantastic, you know?

Anyways my friend, all of the folks down here affected by the fire could use and would appreciate prayers and good thoughts.

Safe sage smoke might be okay too, but it'd be best in the middle of a fairly big swimming pool I'm thinking. grin

All the best to you all.

Dwayne

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well our trip to Canim lake is cancelled, got a call from my friends that own the Rainbow Resort there, we were supposed to go this Saturday

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here in BC we are losing towns, shutting down main highways and the news media is very ho-hum about it. I guess with climate change, it's the new normal.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
750 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 86 invisible), 2,735 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,399,996
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.