Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm exploring ways to keep my feet warm while sitting for long periods in a deer stand. I primarily hunt NW Pa in December. Temps are usually 15-30 degrees and often dont get warmer than mid 20s. I find after 3-4 hours my feet get cold. I have an 800 gr boot but still get cold. I've tried Mickey Mouse boots - pass on them. I've looked at Cabelas Inferno and Predator pac boots and they are an option but certainly are Herman Munster boots. I have about 3/4 mile walk to 2 of my stands and the Herman Munster walk isnt that enjoyable.

Which brings me to boot blankets. Icebreaker and Artic Shield both make them. Google-fu seems to indicate the Icebreaker is the warmer, and bulkier, of the two.

Any sage advice on boot blankets? Other warm boots to consider than the Mickey Mouse variety?

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
BP-B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Try a pair of down booties, maybe a Alpaca wool sock underneath, you may need to take a foam piece to set your feet down on the ground for i cold transfer from the ground or in the box stand or ladder. Just a thought. I bought a pair two years ago and have not tried them out yet. They don’t take up much room, super light and then add a wool blanket. And if it all sounds too much, just strap all the stuff to the deer carrier!!

Last edited by abbydog; 07/02/21.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I got a pair that have used since the 80's...in Mossy Oak Treebark pattern.....can pack them with the straps that come with them. Feet will not get cold and I have hunted down to below 10 degrees with them on. Do not know brand...no label on them. Also have a pair of the hand warmers...you wear around your waist. Can sit in a stand all day...never get cold.

O.B.Wallace
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What Abbydog posted, I use down booties (Slippers) put them on after I'm in the stand.
Hardest part is putting my cold boots back on after a sit.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have a pair of boot blankets. If I'm going to be on stand for hours in really cold temps I use them. Once I get in my stand, I put them on over my boots and then open up a hand warmer pack and place it over my toes before zipping up the boot blanket. It works for me.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I know those that have them and seem ok.

Larry once told me "keep your laces loose and your feet will stay warmer"

It works for me.

I get it - with a walk in, by boots are laced up tight to keep them on my feet in snow/water/ice but once on the stand, first thing I do is loosen them up as much as possible. Lets my body's radiator system do it's job - warm blood gets full flow to my feet and they stay warm.

I have IceKings by Lacrosse and good wool socks - but run the boot laces LOOSE once on stand. Stay warm in Upper Michigan November hunts.

Me

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Here is what I use in upstate NY:

Mid weight wool socks
Schnee’s hunter ll
Arctic Shield boot blankets

The key is to keep your feet from sweating on the walk in. If your feet get wet or you have to hike far, bring dry socks for when you get into the stand. I would rather have non insulated boots and then add a boot blanket than a 2000 gram boot with wet feet.

My feet are never cold since I use this layered approach. Good luck.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Hancock27
What Abbydog posted, I use down booties (Slippers) put them on after I'm in the stand.
Hardest part is putting my cold boots back on after a sit.

Same here. The ones I have are made for hanging around a snowy camp so they don’t even have a rubber sole which makes them very light and packable.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recommend down booties, remove your boots, put feet in down booties and add foot warmer pack. Something like this: Western Mountaineering Expedition GWS Bootie - Men's

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've never heard of down booties but really like the idea! They weigh next to nothing. I'm thinking the Western Mountaineering booties look like the ticket.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
https://www.backpacker.com/gear-reviews/the-5-best-camp-booties-for-winter-adventures/

I probably bought mine at cabelas.
A friend and I went camping in single digit temps, his feet FROZE in his hammock. that's where I go tht eidea for booties - they work.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don’t over look the NEOS insulated overshoes. They can be walked in and I’ve used them with uninsulated hikers inside to below -20F

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
My feet stay pretty warm in La Crosse Ice King boots. They have a felt liner and more importantly, a fiberglass rather than steel shank. The steel gets cold and fiberglass doesn't.

Are they bulky, yep, but warm.

Last edited by old_boots; 07/02/21.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
boot blankets work well. i have even walked short distances in mine in snow.
the heaters really slow down in them due to lack of O2.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer
Don’t over look the NEOS insulated overshoes. They can be walked in and I’ve used them with uninsulated hikers inside to below -20F

Those look REALLY interesting. I'm thinking add a liner to the over shoe itself and be done with it.

The W. Mountaineering and NEOS are out of stock but I'll likely buy 1 of each and keep the one that fits the need the best.

Keep the ideas coming!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I've had mine since 2006. They are Icebreakers. I carry them up into the stand with me and put them on as I'm settling in. Prior to buying the boot blankets, keeping my feet warm was my #1 problem, especially when dealing with an expanded metal stand platform. The metal would suck the heat right out.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've had a pair for a long time they are nice and do keep the feet warm. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have used the Article Shields and they keep my feet warm. Be sure to knock off the snow and ice from your boots before slipping them on. The ice will freeze inside them and your feet will get very cold. Don’t ask how I know.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
When on stands or glassing I wrap my feet w/ an old primaloft jacket and set them on a piece of 1/2" ensolite pad. I rarely sit for more than 1 hour and have used down to 8*F. If it gets really cold I can add the jacket to my layering system for the walk home. It compresses well and weighs 1 lb.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Depends on how far I’m walking in. I don’t like to walk very far with Sorel boots, but they work well. I do put my Ice Breaker boot covers in my pack for a long walk and all day outing, but wear uninsulated boots when I’m walking. One pair of Smartwool socks because wool works even when it gets wet unlike down. I’ve tried those down socks with nylon coverings, but they don’t breathe like wool. Those Ice Breaker covers have zippers that are much quieter than the first ones I used with Velcro closers. Those chemical hand warmers under the toe area work pretty well when it gets really cold. Keeping everything else warm with good clothing helps keep feet warm too to keep good circulation throughout your body.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
193 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 17 invisible), 1,548 guests, and 856 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,911
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.