Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm exploring ways to keep my feet warm while sitting for long periods in a deer stand. I primarily hunt NW Pa in December. Temps are usually 15-30 degrees and often dont get warmer than mid 20s. I find after 3-4 hours my feet get cold. I have an 800 gr boot but still get cold. I've tried Mickey Mouse boots - pass on them. I've looked at Cabelas Inferno and Predator pac boots and they are an option but certainly are Herman Munster boots. I have about 3/4 mile walk to 2 of my stands and the Herman Munster walk isnt that enjoyable.

Which brings me to boot blankets. Icebreaker and Artic Shield both make them. Google-fu seems to indicate the Icebreaker is the warmer, and bulkier, of the two.

Any sage advice on boot blankets? Other warm boots to consider than the Mickey Mouse variety?

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Try a pair of down booties, maybe a Alpaca wool sock underneath, you may need to take a foam piece to set your feet down on the ground for i cold transfer from the ground or in the box stand or ladder. Just a thought. I bought a pair two years ago and have not tried them out yet. They don’t take up much room, super light and then add a wool blanket. And if it all sounds too much, just strap all the stuff to the deer carrier!!

Last edited by abbydog; 07/02/21.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I got a pair that have used since the 80's...in Mossy Oak Treebark pattern.....can pack them with the straps that come with them. Feet will not get cold and I have hunted down to below 10 degrees with them on. Do not know brand...no label on them. Also have a pair of the hand warmers...you wear around your waist. Can sit in a stand all day...never get cold.

O.B.Wallace
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What Abbydog posted, I use down booties (Slippers) put them on after I'm in the stand.
Hardest part is putting my cold boots back on after a sit.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a pair of boot blankets. If I'm going to be on stand for hours in really cold temps I use them. Once I get in my stand, I put them on over my boots and then open up a hand warmer pack and place it over my toes before zipping up the boot blanket. It works for me.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I know those that have them and seem ok.

Larry once told me "keep your laces loose and your feet will stay warmer"

It works for me.

I get it - with a walk in, by boots are laced up tight to keep them on my feet in snow/water/ice but once on the stand, first thing I do is loosen them up as much as possible. Lets my body's radiator system do it's job - warm blood gets full flow to my feet and they stay warm.

I have IceKings by Lacrosse and good wool socks - but run the boot laces LOOSE once on stand. Stay warm in Upper Michigan November hunts.

Me

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Here is what I use in upstate NY:

Mid weight wool socks
Schnee’s hunter ll
Arctic Shield boot blankets

The key is to keep your feet from sweating on the walk in. If your feet get wet or you have to hike far, bring dry socks for when you get into the stand. I would rather have non insulated boots and then add a boot blanket than a 2000 gram boot with wet feet.

My feet are never cold since I use this layered approach. Good luck.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Hancock27
What Abbydog posted, I use down booties (Slippers) put them on after I'm in the stand.

Same here. The ones I have are made for hanging around a snowy camp so they don’t even have a rubber sole which makes them very light and packable.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recommend down booties, remove your boots, put feet in down booties and add foot warmer pack. Something like this: Western Mountaineering Expedition GWS Bootie - Men's

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've never heard of down booties but really like the idea! They weigh next to nothing. I'm thinking the Western Mountaineering booties look like the ticket.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
https://www.backpacker.com/gear-reviews/the-5-best-camp-booties-for-winter-adventures/

I probably bought mine at cabelas.
A friend and I went camping in single digit temps, his feet FROZE in his hammock. that's where I go tht eidea for booties - they work.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don’t over look the NEOS insulated overshoes. They can be walked in and I’ve used them with uninsulated hikers inside to below -20F

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
My feet stay pretty warm in La Crosse Ice King boots. They have a felt liner and more importantly, a fiberglass rather than steel shank. The steel gets cold and fiberglass doesn't.

Are they bulky, yep, but warm.

Last edited by old_boots; 07/02/21.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
boot blankets work well. i have even walked short distances in mine in snow.
the heaters really slow down in them due to lack of O2.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer
Don’t over look the NEOS insulated overshoes. They can be walked in and I’ve used them with uninsulated hikers inside to below -20F

Those look REALLY interesting. I'm thinking add a liner to the over shoe itself and be done with it.

The W. Mountaineering and NEOS are out of stock but I'll likely buy 1 of each and keep the one that fits the need the best.

Keep the ideas coming!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I've had mine since 2006. They are Icebreakers. I carry them up into the stand with me and put them on as I'm settling in. Prior to buying the boot blankets, keeping my feet warm was my #1 problem, especially when dealing with an expanded metal stand platform. The metal would suck the heat right out.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've had a pair for a long time they are nice and do keep the feet warm. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have used the Article Shields and they keep my feet warm. Be sure to knock off the snow and ice from your boots before slipping them on. The ice will freeze inside them and your feet will get very cold. Don’t ask how I know.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
When on stands or glassing I wrap my feet w/ an old primaloft jacket and set them on a piece of 1/2" ensolite pad. I rarely sit for more than 1 hour and have used down to 8*F. If it gets really cold I can add the jacket to my layering system for the walk home. It compresses well and weighs 1 lb.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Depends on how far I’m walking in. I don’t like to walk very far with Sorel boots, but they work well. I do put my Ice Breaker boot covers in my pack for a long walk and all day outing, but wear uninsulated boots when I’m walking. One pair of Smartwool socks because wool works even when it gets wet unlike down. I’ve tried those down socks with nylon coverings, but they don’t breathe like wool. Those Ice Breaker covers have zippers that are much quieter than the first ones I used with Velcro closers. Those chemical hand warmers under the toe area work pretty well when it gets really cold. Keeping everything else warm with good clothing helps keep feet warm too to keep good circulation throughout your body.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been using boot blankets for years, hunting to -20. As mentioned I put dry socks on after walking in and then the boot blankets.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I hunt in late Nov. in Minnesota and walk to my stand in hiking boots and light socks, then switch to wool socks and my hunting boots, either uninsulated Rockies or Lacrosse Hunt Pac Extremes. If my feet get cold with either boot, I'll put on Arctic Shield boot blankets as they work great (get snow off of your boots as previously mentioned). I haven't had cold feet since I switched to this system. The Arctic Shields with the reflective foil on the inside do a great job with even uninsulated boots, but can be noisy. You may also try adding a wool or thinsulate footbed under the main footbed in your boot as I bought 2 sizes up on my heavy boots to do this and it helps minimize heat transfer from the ground or a metal stand.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My father and I have started using electric socks I believe from Amazon. Leave them off or on low for the first few hours then turn them up as needed. Seem to use medium heat the most. On high they generate some impressive heat but sometimes too much.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I bought an inexpensive sleeping bag from Walmart, probably about $25. Took it to a local seamstress and had it cut down so that it will reach almost to my waist and had an elastic cord installed. I think I spent $20 on the seamstress.

I store the bag in a compression sack.

Once in my stand, I slip my feet into the bag and snug the cord around my thighs. If it is really cold, I toss a chemical handwarmer in the bag.

I've also got boot blankets but find the above to be less bulky.

Don't normally need any of the above in Alabama but I used to live and still hunt in Virginia. Lots colder up there than down here!

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Ice Breaker boot blankets rule ! I hate big clunky boots , and use a light weight uninsulated boot to hike and hunt . Get to my stand and get the boot blankets out of my pack slip'em on and good to single digits at least. No taking off your boots, swapping socks ect.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haven’t had cold feet, down to the mid-teens, since I bought some 800 gram Danners. I walk about as far as you or a bit farther, and my feet don't seem to sweat, maybe the Goretex lets the moisture out. Since some of my time gets spent in treestands, the various over-boot ideas might get dicey going in and out. The foam pad would help stop the heat loss from the metal platform and stop the squeaking too; good idea.

My Danners are pretty big, so don’t ever get too tight. One medium wool sock works down to about 30, after that I go heavy. I need to look at the blankets to see if I can find a light pair that will go over my giant feet.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
[quote=abbydog]Try a pair of down booties, maybe a Alpaca wool sock underneath,

This if it gets too cold for my 1,000 gram Danners. The Danners don't have insulation over the sole so they act like a heat sink. I added alpaca felt inner soles over the Vietnam style mesh inner soles and this helps immensely.

The Black "Mouse Boots" worked better for me than the White "Bunny Boots" in extreme cold, down to 54 below.

The boot blankets just were too big and clumsy although they did work. The down booties with a chemical warmer were far better, quieter, and plenty warm. The Alpaca socks are surprisingly warm, some say 3-4x warmer than wool. If your hiking much bring a second pair to change into once you are on stand. Buffalo, Yak, and Musk Ox, wool are warmer still but really pricey.

If you have sweaty feet use both spray on antiperspirant and talcum powder. This makes a big difference.

If it is really cold I bring a sleeping bag or down blanket with me. With this I can stay comfortable into the single digits, probably much lower just haven't hunted in sub zero weather for a long time, (don't miss it at all). Down booties inside a sleeping bag are great, only problem is they are so comfortable I could doze off.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bwinters
Originally Posted by pointer

Those look REALLY interesting. I'm thinking add a liner to the over shoe itself and be done with it.

The W. Mountaineering and NEOS are out of stock but I'll likely buy 1 of each and keep the one that fits the need the best.

Keep the ideas coming!
I have the Navigator 5 insulated version. Wool socks, uninsulated Meindl's, and those were sufficient for a bison hunt out of Delta Junction AK in February. I like the built in/stowable gaiter for when more height is required.

Pard scored a pair for his son off Ebay for $40. He wears running shoes or crocs inside them for our Nov. gun season here. I wouldn't be afraid of looking to Ebay for some deals. Not saying the are the bestest option, but I've been very impressed for their cost.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
when i am in a open stand in the cold i use a heater body suit keeps me warm all day

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have used the boot blankets a couple of times, hunting deer in Iowa in December. I find that they work pretty well, better than any heavier boots I have found.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Also, the Hot Hands shoe insoles will work quite well too.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

I agree that the boot blankets are very big and clumsy. Carrying them in and out of the woods also seems to be pretty problematic.
When the day comes that I think I may need them, I’m done hunting.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I’ve had a pair of Arctic Shield blankets for years and have had outstanding results. I can wear uninsulated boots hiking in and have the blankets strapped to my pack and even in the coldest temps (single digits here) I can stay on stand in comfort all day.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hancock27
Try dropping some hand warmers in the boots and put some socks over them. If you don't cover them up, they won't get warm enough.
I haven't tried it but in theory it should work.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Granted last was 10yrs ago, but. N. WI , below zero starts to day up in a tree stand. As others said, i chose warm but not bulky winter boots as hiked a fair ways and like to mix in some still hunting. Gave up on changing into dry socks though don’t deny it helped - was too much a dance in the dark before getting in the tree, and no fun once in the tree either. Added insulated boot covers when on stand, and like Teal said, loosen the laces some. Did carpet on stand for a while to get off the metal heat-conductive surface. Could still get cold, but taken together was an improvement.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by efw
I’ve had a pair of Arctic Shield blankets for years and have had outstanding results. I can wear uninsulated boots hiking in and have the blankets strapped to my pack and even in the coldest temps (single digits here) I can stay on stand in comfort all day.

This has been experience with the Arctic shields as well. I wear 400gr Crispi’s in, loosen them up a bit once in the stand, zip on the AS’s with a chemical hand warmer or two tossed in, and my feet are great all day in the coldest conditions.

Fear the crabcat.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Years ago, the Gander Mountain outlet center had 4XL and 5XL hunting bibs on clearance. I bought a couple, sewed the legs shut and together and made like a huge oversuit with an enclosed foot area. Super warm for those sub-zero days. Those have since gone away, now I get a cheaper sleeping bag and sew suspenders on at the top. I store them in a plastic tote by my stand so I don't have to carry them back and forth each time.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
[quote=ejo]Here is what I use in upstate NY:

Mid weight wool socks
Schnee’s hunter ll
Arctic Shield boot blankets

The key is to keep your feet from sweating on the walk in. If your feet get wet or you have to hike far, bring dry socks for when you get into the stand. I would rather have non insulated boots and then add a boot blanket than a 2000 gram boot with wet feet.

My feet are never cold since I use this layered approach. Good luck. [/quot

Excellent advice. For many years we hunted upstate New York and since we were hunting on public land it required very long walks, always uphill, to our spots where we could be free from the hunters staying close to the roads. It's impossible not to get soaking wet with sweat going in even when carrying everything but your base layer when walking/climbing for nearly two hours - even on brutally cold days. Once we got to our stands we pretty much swapped out every article of clothing we wore during the walk and put on dry replacements. Even with dry socks/clothing there is only so long one can sit without getting cold if the temps are in the single digits or even in the teens. At least for me.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Tag. Good thread!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Also wear a warmer hat and keep your face and neck warm. The heat you lose from your head makes your other extremities colder.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by BufordBoone
I bought an inexpensive sleeping bag from Walmart, probably about $25. Took it to a local seamstress and had it cut down so that it will reach almost to my waist and had an elastic cord installed. I think I spent $20 on the seamstress.

I store the bag in a compression sack.

Once in my stand, I slip my feet into the bag and snug the cord around my thighs. If it is really cold, I toss a chemical handwarmer in the bag.

I've also got boot blankets but find the above to be less bulky.

Don't normally need any of the above in Alabama but I used to live and still hunt in Virginia. Lots colder up there than down here!

One could simply buy a child’s sleeping bag.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Why stop at boot blanket as I have packed in a Down Sleeping Bag and just sat in it up to my waist when it was -20F might as well be warm. I used a Military bag in OD Green.

Last edited by 1100RemingtonMan; 07/28/21.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Big YES to boot blankets and sitting in a sleeping bag. I do/have done both. No amount of insulation in a boot will keep my feet warm on stand all morning.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Zboot blankets are on sale today at Camofire.com. If anyone is interested.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
If you wear boots that lace up, loosen the lacings when you get on stand...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Boot blankets work if you have enough heat to warm up the insulation in the first place. If your feet are not hot, they will be further cooled by the blanket.

Nowadays we have rechargeable heated garments.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I use a small, light fleece blanket and wrap up my feet after I’m in the stand.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I use a poncho liner over and under my legs and feet.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Teal
I know those that have them and seem ok.

Larry once told me "keep your laces loose and your feet will stay warmer"

It works for me.

I get it - with a walk in, by boots are laced up tight to keep them on my feet in snow/water/ice but once on the stand, first thing I do is loosen them up as much as possible. Lets my body's radiator system do it's job - warm blood gets full flow to my feet and they stay warm.

I have IceKings by Lacrosse and good wool socks - but run the boot laces LOOSE once on stand. Stay warm in Upper Michigan November hunts.

Yep. He told me that as well. I’ll be damned if it doesn’t work.

Camp is where you make it.
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Buy a pair of the US Military Mickey Mouse Artic boots and forget about boot blankets. Wear a thin propylene sick and a heavy wool sock..... I always buy the size I wear.

You can find new ones on Ebay....Beware of the Chinese made knock offs....Be sure and buy the ones made by Bata.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 53 invisible), 1,965 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,187
Posts18,465,760
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.