-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I wasn’t aware this forum was even on here, but I just saw it and thought there would be no better place to ask this question.

My son has moved up into Boy Scouts and we’re doing considerably more tent camping than we had before. He has use of the troop’s tents, but adults typically bring their own. I’ve got a few tents, but none that are overly comfortable or large enough to spread out and actually relax. We’re essentially talking car camping the vast majority of the time, and my Seek Outside LBO or my Cabelas Alaskan Guide aren’t what really fit the bill. This is outside of what I’ll use it for on my own. The average number of nights in a tent for the next 6 years will be around 30 per year.

I don’t want to have to buy another cheap tent, or buy one or two $100 tents a year. I’ve been researching and it looks like the Oztent RV5 will do everything I’d like to do. I can buy one new for around $650. I can add on the floor/ground cloth, and sides for the awning for another $250. That should be more than plenty of room to sleep my family of 4, be comfortable at week long camps, and not be too big of a PIA for weekend camping trips.

Do any of you have experience with these things? I’d like some first hand knowledge from some folks that have used them. I’ve read a lot, but I don’t know how much to trust some of what these folks come up with.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I much prefer the black wolf turbo tent for the same money if you can get them there

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’ve not found a place to get those here. What do you like about it over the Oz?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Oztents have a good reputation, but personally I'm not a fan of canvas tents. They tend to be heavy, bulky, and take forever to dry, and if you pack them away damp and forget to put them out to dry when you get home they rot.

For our conditions I also like sewn-in bug mesh, plenty of ventilation and a sewn in floor - to keep bugs, spiders, snakes and water out, and the Oztent RV5 has these, but I prefer polyester construction. YMMV.

The Black Wolf tents are polyester. Oztrail are another good one, also with polyester construction - I've had very good service out of mine.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
I've spent 100+ days in an Oztent RV over the past 10 or so years, mostly a RV2 but I now also have a RV4 as it is big enough for a couple of decent camp stretchers. I have been very happy with them, and had no significant issues (I had to restitch one strap, and the handles on the storage bag don't like lots of UV exposure (but the bag is fine) - that might have changed in the 10 years since I bought mine).

They are as easy to set up as the advertising and reviews indicate. I do have a fly for the RV2 but 90% of the time I don't bother using it, and the tent is waterproof without it. I've added a canvas groundsheet under the tent itself plus the awning area, but other than that both tents are completely standard.

I have a mate with the Black Wolf turbo lite tent, and that has also been good. It takes longer to pitch, and really needs the fly installed to be waterproof.

I think the biggest decision factor for Oztent RV vs Black Wolf Turbo is how they fit in your vehicle. At 2m+ long the Oztent RV needs to be on a roof rack. The BW Turbo can fit inside a vehicle, but does take up a fair bit of room. Obviously my preference is the Oztent and I've got a few mates with them who are also happy.

If canvas concerns you (as per the previous post), have a look at the Oztent RX-5 (if it's available in the US).

|Ian

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks, Ian. I’ve not found the RX series available, but I’ll keep looking.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (257 roberts, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 16 invisible), 2,035 guests, and 839 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,699
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.