Hop To
T
TF49 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T

Question...

I live in a semi rural area .... foothills in Colorado.... lot sizes 10 acres to 80 acres or so.... HOA is hunting friendly and every year several elk and deer are taken by various homeowners. A number of us shoot coyotes when the situation presents.

But, I have neighbors 200 - 300 yards away that I would rather not disturb when a coyote bites the dust. Some go down at night.

Have used a 22 mag and a suppressed 22lr on a couple of coyotes....both short shots and bang flops...... ok, but the 22 mag is louder than I would prefer, even when suppressed ... and a subsonic 22lr just isn’t right.

I am looking for “quiet” and 60 - 120 yards shots.

I also find that the 5.56 I have is not “quiet” when suppressed. Have not yet tried subsonic 5.56.... don’t know if I could even find that.

Seems I need subsonic to be truly quiet, but I need to drop them on the spot so they don’t run off and die in my neighbor’s yard.

So..... I have concluded that the right combo for quiet 60 - 120 yard coyotes is a suppressed 300 Blackout.

Correct? ...... Alternatives?

Thanks,

Last edited by TF49; 06/01/21.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would try a 17 HMR, Its should handle being suppressed.

Relive your memories,take a kid hunting and fishing
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't own a supressor, but logic tells me that you need to keep the velocity under 1,100 fps or you can't suppress the crack of the bullet. A .300 Blackout would certainly be a factory option, but they use a heavy for caliber bullet for their sub sonic ammo that might not expand as well as you'd like it to. In your case I'd look for more bullet diameter like maybe a .44 Special or a .45 Long Colt. You could then use a .44 Magnum or .454 Casull or .460 S&W when you didn't need it suppressed and wanted lots more cartridge or hand load those bigger ones down to Special or Long Colt velocities. Bigger diameter, softer bullets would hit harder than a smaller one at the same velocity IMO.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Large caliber pellet gun.

Slingshot.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
T
TF49 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the input...... not sure what to do on this.

300 blackout seems to have that rainbow trajectory...maybe not so good at 120 yards or so...... I don’t have a threaded barrel 17hmr..... only pistol caliber carbine I have is in 9mm and it suffers the same trajectory issues as the 300 BO.

Seems most of the “quiet” solutions run out of gas beyond 75 yards.

May just use a suppressed 22wmr.....or a suppressed 204 or 223 and go ahead and disturb the neighbors on occasion.

Thanks,

TF

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Our situations are similar wrt neighbors and lot sizes.

I love my suppressed 38 special Henry model x.
With the swfa 1-4 you can arch them in from way out.

I also like my AR9 build with CMMG delayed bolt.
Cheap subsonic fun with 147 grain bullets.

Screw blackout, IMO.
9mm is way cheaper and easier to reload.
223 does better at supersonic velocity.
No point in blackout.

Last edited by CaptArab; 06/01/21.
T
TF49 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by CaptArab

Screw blackout, IMO.
No point in blackout.

Hmm,,..I will look into this.... I have a 9mm supressor that might work on a 38.....

Thanks,

TF

Edit to add: Seems I can lay my hands on a Citadel 38/357 lever with a threaded barrel. Already have the suppressor and a scope..... Just have to get it and put it all together and fiddle with it.... see how it shoot and sounds....

Good suggestion....we’ll see.....

Last edited by TF49; 06/01/21.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
In my neighborhood, there's so many people shooting on any givin day that one would never know or suspect that a gun shot was or wasn't targeting a coyote, or any other critter. My point is, just shoot more and more often and then when it's time to cap a coyote, no one will bat an eye if they happen to hear the shot.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Glad I could be helpful.

My wife killed her first deer this year with a 180 grain XTP over 15.7 grains of lil gun using the silencer.

I keep 38 subs handy when I don't want to piss off the neighbors dogs at night.

Really versatile little rig for the farm. You'll love it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My good friend shoots a 17 Hornet suppressed for the same reasons you stated. It is a real stinger on predators inside 200 yards and shoots super flat.

IC B3

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H

Screw blackout, IMO.
No point in blackout.

Glad I could be helpful.

My wife killed her first deer this year with a 180 grain XTP over 15.7 grains of lil gun using the silencer.

I keep 38 subs handy when I don't want to piss off the neighbors dogs at night.

Really versatile little rig for the farm. You'll love it.

Is the Lil Gun load what you are running on coyotes? I'm not finding Lil Gun load data for 38 Special. Where did you source that load?

Is there a different bullet/powder combo that you like for smaller than deer sized critters?

Last edited by Hal4son; 06/29/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You could try out 22mag 50gr federal ammo.

1500 FPS so not subsonic.

[Linked Image from ]
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Would a 204 be a good solution?

2 b 1 ask 1 !
T
TF49 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Well, it may indeed be…..

The three combos being put together are:

1. - 38/357 lever…..have rifle…. finally got the adapter to mount the 9mm pistol suppressor. Will try red dot first.

2. - 204 Ruger Ranch…. Bolt…. Ordered off of GB and is now in my hands. Have a 5.56 suppressor. Have scope.

3. - Ruger 22WMR …. Bolt…. Need to mount scope. Want to try bolt to keep suppressor at max “quiet.” Have scope…. And Conrad…. I do have some 50 grainers.

My current patio companion is a CMMG 5.7x28…. Pistol…red dot…. Has suppressor on it. Suppressor works pretty good, just getting the “crack” when I shoot it…..hearing safe…. But best I can do is a 2-3 inch group at fifty yards. Maybe not so good at 100 yards.

I like the idea of the 204 as it may be the best to “anchor” a coyote at the expected ranges….. and the high speed bullet may have reduced chance of a richochet in the unlikely event of a miss. The 22wmr and 22 lr could richochet into the surrounding properties.

Indeed, JustLucky… the 204 is the leading candidate…. I will get it set up today or tomorrow and try to shoot it on Monday….we’ll see……

Last edited by TF49; 07/03/21. Reason: Spel

T
TF49 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
What old men do….

Had two nesting pairs of geese down at the creek this year… 13 goslings…. I enjoyed watching the geese and ended up providing some corn/seed for them. I kinda “adopted” them.

But they drew the interest of a red fox…. Spotted him hanging around…. Four times…..

“Wait a minute! These are my geese, not yours!”……

The varmint trotted on by once in broad daylight …. But by the time I got the rifle to bear he was too close to the road and I didn’t get a shot. …… Lucky rascal.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Shoot it on the 4th to set up. People will think it's fireworks if your that worried about it.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A friend of mine lived on the edge of mayor city he used those subsonic 69 gr 22s he said they hit them hard and kills well and don’t make the crack of the standard vol 22

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
What about a 6x45 suppressed ?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A 204 won't be any quieter than a 223 silenced or not, you still have the sonic boom.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The handgun chamberings lobbing subsonic and heavy for caliber bullets are going to require the appropriate sight. You're gonna need to dial or have a rock a solid BDC type reticle with good data for both.

Same for the .300 Blackout which I think would be the best option if you have an appropriate suppressor. The notion that bullets won't open at the subsonic speeds is archaic. All the major manufacturers have produced BO specific bullets and they work. They work very, very well.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (Bama_Sleeper, Akhutr, 10Glocks, 7x57Hunter, batch, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,537 guests, and 859 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,228
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.