Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I've got an old 1903 with an 1942 stamped rebarrel that has good rifling. Recently I came across a p.j. o'hare sight tool. Is this a good tool for dialing in that sight? Will it also work on my old Springfield Buffington trapdoor sight?

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I can't speak toward the Buffington sight, but it works a treat on an 03 Springfield. But, it isn't a tool for "dialing in a sight", per se. It's for reclaiming a sight setting for a specific distance with a specific load that was worked out previously and you wish to re-visit. I used one for years, and recently bought another one to replace the first one I sold in a moment of idiocy.

For example, after you've carefully zero'ed in the rifle at say 300 yards with a midrange load utilizing the Sierra 168 Matchking, you set the O'Hare tool on the sight ladder and bring the bottom leg into proper contact with the sight slide, then read the scale on the side of the tool in conjunction with the micrometer on the thimble, and make a note of it in your range book. A year later when you want to revisit that load again and you've been messing with the sight in the interim, you consult your notes, hook the O'Hare tool onto the sight, and adjust things to match. You'll be within a gnat's ass of being back in the bullseye.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
P.J.O'Hare sold a bunch of target shooting accessories, mainly geared toward '03 Springfield use. Rear sight covers, front sight hoods, varied rear sight adjusters, score books, etc.- all to be found in his storefront on Commercial Row at Camp Perry and via mail order. A common name brand in The Golden Age when the Springfield dominated competition.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I recently picked up a very nicely made walnut aftermarket stock for a M1903 Springfield. Now I'm looking for a lonely barreled action for my lonely stock. Any ideas where to look?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You might not need it...

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I was curious what these look like. Here is a discontinued repro

https://www.buffaloarms.com/repro-of-the-pj-o-hare-m1903-s-sbsmic.html

I will see if I can grap a photo and post that for long term

Attached Images
OhareSightTool.jpg (7.05 KB, 194 downloads)
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yep that's it. I wonder how it compares to the original PJ O'Hare?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Looks to me that a person could do the same with a dial caliper. Tools like dial calipers used to be expensive. Not a tool to leave in a shooting bag and dedicate to the range. Or known to machinists and less to general public. The same for using tools. That might involve a little less care to use.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Adopted grand dad had a PJ O’ Hare with his name engraved on it. Unfortunately his brother got into everything the night he passed away and absconded with everything worth any cash.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep that's it. I wonder how it compares to the original PJ O'Hare?

I'm pretty sure that's the repro made by Ray-Vin. I have a couple of those, Ray told me he redesigned the original to use fewer parts, but yet improve function. I've never had an original PJ O'Hare Mic, but Rays never been wrong about such things in my experience.

Last edited by ChrisF; 10/10/21.
IC B3

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I've got the old P J O'Hare tool.

R
R
If you want to shoot competitively the sight micrometer is a must have. Yes a person could use a dial caliper but it’s a borderline disaster holding everything right and for minor adjustments a PITA. Also the sight slide on an 03 can have a slight angular play, so the micrometer has a advantage because it hooks each end of the slide. The correct process is to leave a small amount of tension on the set screw and draw the slide up.

I have the Ray-Vin, like he said, you grab it, hook it on, loosen the lock knob a little and drag the slide with the micrometer knob, relook the the knob and done. It’s fast, easy and precise. Btw, I usually shoot at least two matches a year with the 03 and am the only person that shows up with one. The rest are always Garands, so far the 03 has gone undefeated, I can only contribute that to the sight micrometer.

Last edited by Randy_A; 11/26/21.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
God I love hearing tales of 03's rocking it in competition!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10gaugeman, 219 Wasp, 2500HD, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 49 invisible), 3,322 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,292
Posts18,467,960
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.