Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GregW
Scratch it....

3 oz tequila, half that of fresh lime juice, ice cubes and topo chico....

Yep, another one I like.

Arcus Venator
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Expensive because it’s small batch, but Jackelope Gin out of Palisade CO is fantastic.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by GregW
Scratch it....

3 oz tequila, half that of fresh lime juice, ice cubes and topo chico....

I just picked up case of grape fruit topo Chico here in N Idaho. good stuff. I have bottle Bombay sapphire in the cupboard. possibilities in 110 degree heat.

Last edited by ribka; 07/02/21.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by krp
Good thing about starting late in life having an alcohol drink now and then, you don't know what's supposed to be good. Can't stand beer, wine might as well drink vinegar, vodka tastes like dirt, scotch tastes like an old bog, tequila es no amiga para mi'... I can drink whiskey no problem, rum and gin is fine. As long as I don't want to spit it out it'll work.

Kent

The only thing worse than a reformed drinker is a late starter

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cra1948
We went to a nice place for dinner tonight. When the waiter asked my gin or vodka preference for my martini, I had to set him straight: a martini is made with quality gin and dry vermouth. Anything else is a “ martini-like drink” at best.

A martini is the quintessential cocktail. Simple, elegant, delicious, and guaranteed to make the world a better place. Never mind all this pretentious bullschit about “just dip the olive in vermouth “ or “ rinse the glass with vermouth” or “just pass the cork from the vermouth bottle over the glass.” Make it with 3 ounces of gin and a splash to a half ounce of vermouth, shake the sombitch till it’s good and cold, and pour it over at least one, better yet two (three if you’re hungry) really good really big olives. I love beer and wine, I love good whiskey and I love classic cocktails, properly made with quality ingredients. The martini, properly done, is the pinnacle.

I must very slightly disagree... there is one variation of a martini that is worthy of note - the Sir Winston Churchill martini.

You take chilled gin, stir into ice while glancing at an unopened bottle of vermouth present in the room. wink

Strain into a chilled glass, and garnish with an olive.

If it was good enough for Churchill Himself, it is good enough for me. God knows he had enough of them! eek grin

Happy cocktails to all,
John

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have been enjoying extra dry martinis for a long time. Just a quick drop of a decent vermouth gets mixed in with a good quality gin shaken or stirred, but I prefer stirred (less bruise to the booze).
My gins of preference are Sapphire, Tanq 10, Beefeater and if I want a bit of a floral taste either Hendricks or Boodles. All garnished with pitted green olive or lemon peel in a chilled thin stemmed martini glass with a side glass of ice.

-Ken

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My menu of "martini-like drinks" always begin with 3 oz of a dry London gin like Gordon's or Beefeaters over ice. Sometimes straight, but favorite additions include: (pick any one)

Splash of good dark bitters
Splash of orange bitters
Splash of lemon bitters
Twist of lemon peel
Bar spoon of onion juice (with onions)
Bar spoon of olive juice (with olives)
1/2 ounce dry or sweet vermouth
Juice of 1/2 lime and a bit of simple syrup

Then there are the mixed drinks like G&Ts, Rickeys, Collins, Scarlett O'Haras, Negronis, etc.

BTW...The original Martini was made with sweet vermouth, and it's excellent that way. When somebody substituted dry vermouth, it became the Dry Martini. "Dry" thus has nothing whatever to do with the amount of vermouth used, so "very dry" is meaningless.

Last edited by RockyRaab; 07/03/21.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
How many of you keep your gin in the freezer? Saves watering it down with ice (shaken or stirred).

Of course, you need ice in the G&T, unless you freeze your tonic (not advised).

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
[b][/b]
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
My menu of "martini-like drinks" always begin with 3 oz of a dry London gin like Gordon's or Beefeaters over ice. Sometimes straight, but favorite additions include: (pick any one)

Splash of good dark bitters
Splash of orange bitters
Splash of lemon bitters
Twist of lemon peel
Bar spoon of onion juice (with onions)
Bar spoon of olive juice (with olives)
1/2 ounce dry or sweet vermouth
Juice of 1/2 lime and a bit of simple syrup

Then there are the mixed drinks like G&Ts, Rickeys, Collins, Scarlett O'Haras, Negronis, etc.

BTW...The original Martini was made with sweet vermouth, and it's excellent that way. When somebody substituted dry vermouth, it became the Dry Martini. "Dry" thus has nothing whatever to do with the amount of vermouth used, so "very dry" is meaningless.

Negronis are a favorite at our house.

Mathew 22: 37-39

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
How many of you keep your gin in the freezer? Saves watering it down with ice (shaken or stirred).

Of course, you need ice in the G&T, unless you freeze your tonic (not advised).

Keep mine in the fridge.

Arcus Venator
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Beefeater - Old reliable
Only, Tann's - A couple of interesting newcomers from Spain
Botanivore - For a splurge
Plymouth - When I'm feeling Limey

And pass the Fever Tree.

If you're ever in Plymouth (the original) the plant is worth a visit. Excellent restaurant on the upper level too.

Interesting fact: As of 5 years ago the highest per capita gin consuming country was Spain.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

569 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,206 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,823
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.