Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by StudDuck
I've used everything out there and went with a Wiha.

Borka tools are nice as well.

Another vote for Wiha! Made in Germany with the typical precision you would expect.

BP-B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
NWT: I have and use a "Snap-On" inch pounds torque wrench for my amateur gunsmithing action torquing needs.
Been working wonderfully for 35+ years now.
Also have the tiny Wheeler Fat Wrench for rings/bases needs.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by TBREW401
I have had a Snap on, 1/4 drive. for years, , --- buy once, cry once

Good advice.

N
NWT Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Lots of good advice. Fatwrench probably would have been fine, but changing out a number of scopes, so tomorrow I am ordering the Brownell’s Seekonk 1 to 75 inch pound since I currently have a Brownell’s credit I need to use up.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Haven't seen them mentioned here. Fixit Sticks. I like the concept & the full kit seems handy. Redhawk Rifles sells them.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If you want a " quality ' torque wrench you don't want the Fat Wrench. They are cheap, crude and hard to see the difference in graduations.
I have 5 or 6 different small torque wrenches including dial and click.
I have Proto, Snap on, Vortex, Wright tool and a Capri.

They have different values so I choose the one for the mission. Because I work in the aerospace industry I have to have mine calibrated annually.
The click ones come back in calibration every time. So far within 1%.

90% off the time I use the Capri or Vortex (same tool). I only use the dial when I want to see the torque change.
Wera and Wiha make great torque screwdrivers too.

Most guys that have the Wheeler have it because it was on the shelf at their local gun store. Shop for torque tools elsewhere.
Using a fat wrench is like loading ammo with a Lee load all...

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a nice little compact one. It came in a little plastic box about the size of a box beam made out of two longitudinally folded dollar bills. (~6"x1"x1")
I think that it goes up to 21.8 ft-lb or N-m (I think one is 21.x and the other 14ish)
it would probably work well on scopes, it has a standard hex-bit drive.
I believe it is made by Gustiforza(sp?)

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Only issue with the Wheeler is it doesn’t go high enough for action screws. Those I do by feel. Main purpose of the torque driver for me is to keep me from getting too frisky with ring screws, not precision. I do about 17-18 inch pounds, and have yet to have one slip in the rings.

What fresh Hell is this?
N
NWT Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Pretty hard to compare the different torque wrenches/drivers locally. Along with the Seekonk from Brownell’s I ordered the Wiha to compare and see which one fits my needs the best. They seem to be totally different units.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Torque wrenches are for kids who haven’t had much experience with fasteners
Once you develop a feel for machinery it is really easy to tell when it is right, things like lubrication or threadlockers make a torque wrench redundant

So torquing the rod & main bolts and the head bolts on a car engine is a waste of time? Might want to also mention your ideas to the aerospace and jet engine manufacturers as well (and remember they don't use loctite, but rather safety wire). Critical fastening requires a torque wrench....spent 18 years in a field that required it or the fuel pump would become a thousand dollar paper-weight.

Last edited by sackett; 07/18/21.
IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have an Armstrong 1/4" drive dial torque wrench that has given me good service for 35 years for all manner of things that need to be torqued to inch pound specs.

Member:
NRA
Ohio Gun Collectors Association
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fat Wrench.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by sackett
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Torque wrenches are for kids who haven’t had much experience with fasteners
Once you develop a feel for machinery it is really easy to tell when it is right, things like lubrication or threadlockers make a torque wrench redundant

So torquing the rod & main bolts and the head bolts on a car engine is a waste of time? Might want to also mention your ideas to the aerospace and jet engine manufacturers as well (and remember they don't use loctite, but rather safety wire). Critical fastening requires a torque wrench....spent 18 years in a field that required it or the fuel pump would become a thousand dollar paper-weight.

We are talking about 6*48 scope mount screws here that maybe have 1/8” of engagement here and little amounts of inch pounds of torque, are you using safety wire?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
[/quote] We are talking about 6*48 scope mount screws here that maybe have 1/8” of engagement here and little amounts of inch pounds of torque, are you using safety wire?
[/quote]

The primary reason torque amounts started being suggested for scope mounting was NOT the strength of the screws, but the strength of scope tubes. A LOT of people (including some so-called professionals) were over-tightening ring-screws to the point where scopes started to malfunction. This is especially true of variables, since they have an "inner tube" (the erector tube, which in variables changes magnification) that can be affected by too much ring tightening. But over-tightening can also affect adjustments, and in some scopes it doesn't have to be much to affect them.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
MD, I recall you saying it was --Farmer tight

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep!

Apparently a lot of people think a scope won't stay firmly in place unless the rings put "waists" in the tube.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
How many of you have your tools calibrated?

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yep!

Apparently a lot of people think a scope won't stay firmly in place unless the rings put "waists" in the tube.

What settings do you recommend for scope ring screws and scope mount screws? Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BigNate
How many of you have your tools calibrated?

Good question! Where would one go to get this done? Machine shop?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
.[/quote] What settings do you recommend for scope ring screws and scope mount screws? Thanks[/quote]

Generally, whatever the mount manufacturer recommends, which is generally around 17-20 inch pounds--though scope manufacturers also often suggest settings.

But it varies with the thickness of the scope tube. Nightforce generally recommends 25 inch-pounds, because their tubes are thicker than typical lighter-weight hunting scopes, and NF scopes are also heavier as well, which often requires tighter rings to keep them in place during recoil (which if course also depends on the cartridge and rifle weight).

John Steinbeck
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
656 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 59 invisible), 3,138 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,190
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.