Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was not. My dad was a very good hunter he only really knew as much as he needed to about guns. He kept several around but they were chosen strictly on practicality and not sentiment. I don’t know how I ever ended up as a loony? No one in the family was one.

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My father didn't hunt, wasn't a gun guy. He didn't want to hunt or be a gun guy.

He used to tell me that with all the money I spend on that hunting stuff and guns I could just buy a whole cow.

I have always said he taught me more about how I DIDN'T want to be as a man that how I wanted to be.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My dad shot targets every weekend. He hunted in Pennsylvania when he was a kid, but didn't when I was growing up. My grandfather was an avid hunter and gun collector.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by moosemike
I was not. My dad was a very good hunter he only really knew as much as he needed to about guns. He kept several around but they were chosen strictly on practicality and not sentiment. I don’t know how I ever ended up as a loony? No one in the family was one.

same for me.....interesting indeed

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I was. My dad taught me rifle, handgun, wingshooting, and reloading,

I was fortunate!

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My Dad was a serious 'chuck hunter, a casual/social deer hunter, and a huge gun collector.

He was such a gun guy that he missed a lot of family events in favor of attending gun auctions or estate sales.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
No.

Dad and Grandpa hunted and had guns. Were well informed about guns etc. Not big collectors or accumulators.

Later in years my Dad became fussy about rifle accuracy and took up handloading.

Had a freind in my twenties. He was into handloading and guns. Got me a little interested. At that time I bought a big box of gun periodicals for cheap at a gun show. That box spent my money fast as I could make it for a few years.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My dad was a once in awhile, casual deer hunter. Other than that he shot some woodchucks around the homestead once in awhile when they became a nuisance. Only had three guns his whole life. Deer rifle, shotgun and .22. Haven't seen his deer rifle or shotgun in years but the .22 {an old Sears bolt action} still leans in the corner behind the kitchen door. My gramps was the same way but I had a couple uncles and cousins that were avid hunters.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Grew up in the desert around Tucson with a BB gun my grandfather bought me or slingshots I made. Flipping burgers at 14 and saw some of my friends hunting deer with their fathers. Asked my father why we weren't doing the same. He said we needed rifles and we didn't have any. Got on the bus and went to K Mart an put 2 Marlins on layaway. Surprise was blown when the counter guy said I needed my father to retrieve them. Only seasons I missed since then were my years in the Navy. Dad hunted with me til age 87.
George

Dad always said, "Nadie Nacio Ensenado" (No One Was Born Taught)
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Dad and all my uncles hunted, shot every weekend, gun shows, reloaded etc… we had a gunshop/gunsmith a block away and spent lot of hours up there in the evenings. They all bought, sold and horse traded all the time. Shot card shoots with scoped Winchester 37’s and custom barrels. Dad always had some nice guns around.
I learned to read with his stacks of G&A, rifleman etc….

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Similar.

Dad had a Stevens double 12 that he could shoot pretty well. It was just a tool to him. He would sometimes go rabbit hunting with us boys, had a policeman friend who had a pack of beagles. He'd show up on Sat mornings and we'd hunt swamp rabbits in our woods.

Other than that, I'm a self made loony, was reloading in high school, working on guns, etc.

He respected what I was doing, didn't criticize. Once he came in the house saying get your gun. There was a bunch of buzzards harassing a new born calf and mother. I got my .244 40XB, stood in the back of his old Ford pickup and we eased up on the scene of the crime. I tapped on the cab, he stopped, I bused one at 80 yds or so. They flew to a tree 125 yds away. I busted another one. They flew, found another tree 250 yds away. Busted another one.

Now the old man wasn't one to brag on anyone, but I could tell he was pleased, maybe even a bit impressed. Of course he wouldn't say anything.

Another time I was sitting on the back steps, had been working on a Rem roller .45-70 that I built using a 43 Egyptian action and a kit from Numrich. A bird landed on a gate about 20 yds away. I sent a wheel weight slug towards him, but the bullet busted the galvanized pipe where the bird was standing. Ruined the gate, as the gate frame was the galvanized pipe. It now had a flex joint where one wasn't needed. Dad asked what I was gonna do about that. I replied I was gonna raise the sights a couple of notches. He couldn't say a word, just grinned and walked away Yep, I was bit of a smart arse even in my teens.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
moosemike;
Good afternoon and Happy Fourth of July to you sir, I hope the day's gone well for you.

Initially I was going to answer, "not really", but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that's not correct.

Although we only had a single shot Cooey .22 and Dad's moose hunting rifle - a Savage 99 .250 that I recall first and then a Winchester 100 in .308 not long after that, he took me hunting before I started school.

When I showed an interest in hunting where my brother who was 9 years older than me hadn't, a used Slavia 624 pellet gun showed up quickly where my elder brother never got one.

After I'd proved to be both safe and useful at farm pest removal with the Slavia, it was traded for a Lakefield .22 repeater which I actually still have today.

Following the .22, I started to purchase my own firearms, which while I was too young to do, was supported and when I look back on it encouraged by Dad.

We hunted together when I was in my early teens with him being there when I took my first head of big game and then my first whitetail buck not long after.

When I moved away from home, they moved here to BC and when I came for a visit and stayed for awhile, we hunted together again for the first time in years.

After moving here with my wife in '84 after farming didn't work out for us, Dad again came hunting with me, first borrowing my wife's hunting rifle and then I converted a 96 Swede into a lightweight and light recoiling rifle for him. We hunted together for years after that until his health didn't allow him to ride in the pickup on the rough mountain roads any longer.

During those years, a bunch of firearms came and went from our place and Dad was always interested in seeing the new ones.

Sorry for the too long response, but yes sir, on balance I was initially wrong and in fact Dad likely was more of a gun guy than I'd thought. He was a grand man, a good friend and I was blessed to have him as a father.

Thanks for causing me to take some very pleasant paths down my memories, all the best to you and Happy Fourth of July.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
No, home life wasn’t pleasant, don’t really know how I became so interested. A guy I was working with took me out to Ozona deer hunting when I was in my early 20’s. I’ve been interested in guns and hunting ever since. I need to look him up, he is a plumber that taught me a whole lot also.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well, kinda sorta.

My Dad borrowed a Customized B 303 that’s all
I know about it. It sat beside the front door a few
nights before he went deer hunting.

That rifle put the RIFLE in me.

We squirrel and quail hunted each year so hunting and guns were in my young life.

@ 1960 or so Dad bought a 760, 30-06 and it
looked new to me. Later I used it to hunt when Dad wasn’t.

I was married before I bought my own deer rifle
(I guess you’d call it).
I was NEVER impressed with its limits.

2 yrs later I bought my first 243 and then got on the slippery slide of Rifle Loonyism.
There is NO cure.

So, guns & hunting were in my life at a young age.
My G pa loved to deer hunt..there were FEW deer
in the 60s and he never killed a deer.

I’m thankful for my family’s interest.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Pops set up at gunshows, did some 1911 work ( had FFL ) was in one collectors association.

Quit shooting varmints around age 60 but kept killing paper til 80.

Couldnt handle blood LOL.
Id bring home deer and hoist em in oak tree out back and skin em. Hed stay inside.

Used to cast bullets and reload when I was in 6th grade ( I had a 660 in .222 and a Ruger 3 screw 357 ).

Pops did a lot, liked .22 IHMSA.
I hunted and geeked out a little more on some gun stuff.

He was a decent shot til he got bifocals.

Up until the yr before he died, if I wanted to see him Id have to drive to the indoor or outdoor ranges. Retired he had a good time shootin the last 20 yrs.

Last edited by hookeye; 07/04/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not a gun guy by any measure but both my mom and dad grew up on small farms in NC during the 1920's and both hunted small game for food - squirrels, rabbits and quail mostly. That translated into both of them considering it natural and normal to have guns around so when I started showing an interest in them they fully supported me.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My dad was an excellent hunter, but not a gun guy. The only rifles he owned were a Model 94 Winchester in .30-30, which only came out for his annual deer, and a .22 pump. He taught me to shoot and the ethics of hunting, the way the Indians did. If you were worthy, an animal would present itself to you. He taught me to never kill an animal you didn't intend to eat, and to try to use the whole animal, tan the hide and use it to make something useful, etc.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My dad bitched about my hunting. Deer, geese, dove, rabbit, turkey.....he ripped my ass about it til the end.

Was a rough old bastard. Never cut me any slack.

Funny, coworker of his said he bragged about my killin at work

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My Dad was a small game hunter growing up and taught me the same, rabbits and squirrels mostly, but I wouldn't say he was much of a gun guy. I didn't own a deer rifle until I was in my mid-30s. Killed my first deer about the same time. My Dad borrowed one of my rifles and killed his first deer a few years later. He continued to borrow one of my rifles until I gave him my 280Rem as a Christmas present when he was 70. Figured it was time he owned his own deer rifle. His grandson, my nephew, appears to be a future looney like me and I'm sure he'll appreciate owning his Grandpa's deer rifle some day. Not to mention my entire collection since I have no kids of my own.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My old man was very knowledgeable about military rifles. He was also a tremendously good shot, and several people saw him do things like wingshooting ducks with a .22, which he did more than once or twice. He also had done well in competition, both rifle and pistol, but had given that away before I started shooting. He had done a lot of small game hunting and duckshooting, but had largely given those away before I started shooting too. Most of what I learned about hunting or the finer points of marksmanship I learned from other family members.

Apart from his interest in military rifles he wasn't really a "gun guy" either. He'd never had any interest in handloading, or ballistics, or scopes or anything like that. In fact he never had a scoped rifle - seeing him shoot with irons he had no real need of one. We always had several guns in the house though, and he would often impulse buy something - usually a .22 - and then after giving it a bit of use it would often get handed off to someone else (me, if I was lucky). He was also happy enough to go with me to gunshops or gunshows when I was a kid, to be the responsible adult if I wanted to buy something.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My dad wasn’t a hunter or shooter, our relationship was never very good for other reasons. My grandpa was an avid deer hunter and shooter but not a big collector. My Uncle had an FFL was a big collector and was into duck and deer hunting, and shot on several club leagues. My grandpa and uncle were both big influences. I spent a lot of time up north on my grandparents land learning to hunt and shoot and going to gun shows and gun stores on weekends with my Uncle.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yep. I was "helping" in the reloading room as soon as I was strong enough to "two-thumb" primers into cases with a Lee Auto Prime. By college I'd completed my lifetime penance on a Lee Load All shot-shell loader as well. Dad bought and sold quite a bit. By Jr.High I was answering phone calls when he was traveling and had an ad going in Shotgun News or The Gun List.

Very few of the guns that came and went were "collectors", just hunting guns that he'd get a "deal" on, shoot for a while then sell or trade for something else that caught his interest. Shotguns, rifles, and rimfires. Never very many handguns. A few rimfire High Standards and a couple of Colt Pythons that he hunted with and that was about it.

I can recall deer and pheasant hunting being very tough due to low numbers when he 1st started bringing me along. Then about the time I started carrying a gun the CRP program got rolling and pretty soon we had deer and pheasants galore

Last edited by horse1; 07/04/21.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My dad had a wall of guns, but only fired a few of them during my life. The only new one he bought was one for me when I was 12. Later I inherited all the pieces from two branches of the family. That is when my looniness began. I've been a mess ever since!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hanco
No, home life wasn’t pleasant, don’t really know how I became so interested. A guy I was working with took me out to Ozona deer hunting when I was in my early 20’s. I’ve been interested in guns and hunting ever since. I need to look him up, he is a plumber that taught me a whole lot also.

Anytime one of my younger guys expresses interest, I take them to the cabin for a days hunt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Dad wasn't a hunter, he didn't own any guns either. Lucky for me my Uncle Hank was a deer hunter. He wasn't a collector by any stretch. In the 62 years I knew him all he ever had was my grandfathers Winchester 1894 30-30 and a sporterized 30-40 Krag. When I was 18 I was headed in the wrong direction. Drinking and drugs and getting in trouble. The rest of the world thought I need my arse kicked but Uncle Hank decided to take me deer hunting at the club he belonged to. That changed my life for the better. He introduced me to his camp buddies, some of whom were serious gun guys. My folks saw that Uncle Hank had lit a fire under me and a year later they bought me my first gun, a Marlin 336 in 30-30. I started going to gun shows and buying more guns on my own and soon realized that those "old" guys were pretty cool to hang out with. Uncle Hank passed away last year and he left me his Winchester 1894 NRA Commemorative 30-30 that was presented to him when he moved on from teaching Agriculture to be the Principal at the local tech school. I put a peep sight on it and took it out on opening day last year.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No. Not even close. He bird hunted a little as a kid, but that was it. Did not hunt or shoot past about 14.

My maternal grandfather was for sure, but was too old and unhealthy by the time I came around for me to learn anything from him.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Every word of this describes my dad. He had a Mdl 70 30-06 with a Weaver K2.5 and a Remington Mdl 31 FW 12 gauge with a Cutts. That was always enough; why get any more guns???

He eventually became more of a Gunguy and got a 20 ga IC/Mod Superposed and was bitten by the combination gun bug...drillings. He never got himself a drilling, but I did gardening for an eye doctor friend one summer at age 13, and my pay was a Sauer/Charles Daly 12/12/30-30 sidelock.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My father was not a rifle loony in the sense that I am--in fact he thought I was loony from about the time I turned 12, and started reading a lot about rifles!

But he was a little bit of a gun nut, and hunter. He grew up on a homestead in central Montana during the Great Depression of the 1930s, and everybody in the family hunted for meat. He shot a bunch of small game, and one deer (they were scarce back then).

His father (who was not really a hunter) committed suicide in the mid-30s, but luckily his mother was an avid hunter and great shot, and he learned to shoot very well. But his enthusiasm for hunting wasn't as great as hers (apparently I got her part of the genetics). After working for Boeing during WWII (he was diabetic so couldn't be in the military), he became an English professor.

But he did have a small collection of firearms, including a .22 rimfire Colt Frontier Scout he purchased with the proceeds of the first (of a few) articles he sold on Western history to what were then called "pulp" magazines. He got paid $50, and had always wanted a Colt single-action, so we went down to the Powder Horn in downtown Bozeman, and he bought the Scout. (For those old-time Bozemanites, George Dieruf Sr. did the deal.) I was just tall enough to see over the counter.

Anyway, he did buy an occasional gun, usually just to plink with, but also bought a Western Field (Marlin 336) .30-30 carbine when I started big game hunting, largely so he could go along with me. And he killed a mule deer doe with it, running, at around 50 yards--on opening day of my first season

He died when I was a month shy of my 17th birthday, and while I suspect he may have liked my ending up being a professional writer (many English professors yearn to be full-time writers), he might have been a little puzzled at how much gun writing I do--but might have argued about some of what I write!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Very interesting reading.. Like many my dad hunted a bit, but not much.. My grandfather was the hunter.. He got me started when I was like 5... He was a small game hunter, deer and bear.. But not a gun guy.. He apparently at one time bought and sold quite a few guns, but by the time I came along he had a Fox 12 ga. and a model 54 .30-06 and a .45 auto.. Cousins on my dad's side were great hunters.... My dad wasn't really pleased with all the time I spent hunting, but didn't really complain a lot.. I had some neighbors that were shooters and collectors.. I hung out with them as often as I could.. One of them was an old Camp Perry shooter.. Buy the time I was 15, I bought a used reloading outfit and was enjoying shooting.. Till I was about 45 I tried to keep my collection to about 20 long guns and pistols.. Finally said the hell with it when an older pal said, never sell only buy..

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I started buying guns when I was 11 with my own money I made mowing and farm work. 1st gun I bought was a M55 winchester semi auto single shot 22 cost me 10 dollars. Guy at the hardware store knew my dad but asked me if it was ok with my folks and I said yes he said ok. They wrapped it in brown paper and it went home with me on my bike. When I was 14 I bought my first handgun a Ruger single six in 22 mag the guy who sold it to me said he'd take it back if dad didn't like it. Dad was more worried that I'd get a piece of junk than a good gun..I was probably the 1st 14 year old to go to the sheriff's office and put in for a ccp. Back then was no age restriction and it was up to the sheriff or the Sec of State. The codified law said they didn't have to issue one but it was up to them. Had 1 ever since. One day the sheriff asked me if I had ever used birdshot in the ss and I told him yup next thing I know he had me shooting pigeons off the courthouse window sills with it and later on off the upper ledge with graphite gallery shorts in my mossberg 22 rifle. No body needed to tell me if I screwed up even once I was done. My dad would take my older brother and I pheasant hunting. When I turned 17 we both put in for deer licenses and we both shot bucks for the first time. He owned a few guns but they weren't his life they were mine.
I taught him in his 70's how to reload center fire ammo.
He passed away last fall at 96 and 4 months, ww2 vet, dad, husband of 70 years, friend to many and a solid citizen.one of the greatest generation. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was sitting here trying to figure out how I became a loony. I remember an older kid on the School bus who loved to tell me about his grandfather's 250-3000 and 9.3x62 Mauser. I didn't know what either of those were but they sounded great. I asked my Dad and he had never heard of them. That kid on the bus may have had a hand in giving me the fever.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Dad is 89 and still doing some deer hunting. In younger years, we hunted rabbits, pheasants, grouse and deer. But he's not the guy that turned me into a loony, that was an older relative (distant cousin) that taught me to reload. He was an avid chuck hunter so we shot quite a few of them too. Dad lit the flame but Cal fanned it big time.

Dale

This space for rent

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nope, very avid hunter and fisherman. Guns were simply tools.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
My dad did not hunt or own/shoot guns. I did have a Daisy BB gun, but I shot my first real gun and hunted with my stepdad (Deer and Rabbit) when I was 12. Didn't go off the deep end collecting until I was 28, been on a terror ever since 30+ years. Took my dad to his first gun show and to a range to shoot two years ago when he was 80. At that show he bought a 20 ga shotgun for home defense. One of my daughters deer hunts with me every year.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My father was almost totally uninterested in guns, perhaps as a reaction to his father who was a great gun nut but totally uninterested in his children. That grandfather farmed his three sons off to a "grandma" (distant relative, I think) in the Black Hills for the duration of the Great Depression, and my dad's experience with guns was killing a lot of dinners with "Grandma Grimes'" .22 Special--he equated hunting and guns with poverty.

That Grandfather was a soldier and federal cop all his life, did love guns, and owned some classics. Fought the Spanish, the Filipinos, and the Moros, then chased "that rascal Villa" around northern Mexico, and then fought with the 89th Div in France. He carried a Colt New Service DA .44 after he became an officer and gent and had to turn in his Krag, then drank the jammamatic Cool Aid in Mexico in 1916 and never was without a 1911 Colt after that. I ultimately got the New Service.

My maternal grandfather was a mining engineer and "mechanic" who practiced his profession and trade all over the world, prospecting for "fossil water" aquifers, which he then "brought in" for the government that employed him on contract. Did a lot of work for "Old Man Diez" in Mexico, and greatly admired that "controversial" guy. Always carried an S&W .44 Russian.DA breaktop revolver wherever he went.

I grew up in northern California when it was very rural and agricultural and we were surrounded by ranchers and farmers who were WWII vets. Pretty much everyone I admired was a shooter and hunter.

When we bought our ranch in 1948, the first visitor, even before we had a house, was the "nextdoor neighbor" who lived about a mile away, Old Man Duerson, rode up to the back gate, pulled off his hat, introduced himself to my Mom in a very welcoming and courtly fashion and gave her his ranch phone number in case we ever needed help. He had a .45 1911 on his belt and a Win 94 in his saddle scabbard.

I was hooked for life.

Last edited by Mesa; 07/05/21.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My grandfather used his 30-30 in the Alaskan Gold rush to shoot a mountain goat and sell it to the tavern.

My father was chief engineer and patent hold on many guns, but the best known was from the M55, M107, and M110 mobile artillery's.
My father was a pheasant man.

I bought a Daisy model 25 pump BB gun at age 10.
At age 70, I chambered and headspaced a 1903 Turkish Mauser to 260 Remington, last night.
I have become a deer man.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Dad was an avid hunter, but kind of a "one gun guy" - one deer rifle (Win. model 94 in.32 spec.) for his yearly trips to New Brunswick, Canada, and one shotgun for everything else (Rem. 11-48 12 gauge). Gave me a single shot .22 when I was 5, and taught me lessons about firearm safety and sportsmanship that I abide by almost 60 years later.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I would say my dad was right on the edge of being a gun guy but didnt quite catch the bug. He was a very avid hunter and sportsman. He grew up hunting from a very young age and hunted with friends until we moved to Wyoming. He used the same rifle to hunt big game pretty much his entire life even though he had a few other guns. He was a subscriber to Shotgun News back when it was a good publication for sales, bargains and access to items small towns didnt have. I think at his high point he had about 30+ guns. Some were collectors, some were for fun etc. He did reload but kept it pretty utilitarian. I would say he was more of a gun guy than most people but not a full blown looney.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The son of a son of a son of a looney. My great grandfather had a tremendous collection of turn of the century rifles most of which were stolen. My grandfather served with distinction in WW2 and while being an amazing shot never hunted big game after the war. My father was a hunter before coming to Alaska but he pushed us to take the first shots. He was disabled in several auto accidents. He taught me to not sell unless you can double your money. My brother in law ended up with most of his guns while I ended up with his trophies. It was a fair deal. I have two guns that are tied to him. One of my greatest regrets is not doing a couple of moose hunts with him. Life is too short.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
To add to my earlier post, while he wasn't a loony he did write this: SMLE

So I suppose you could call him a gun guy, even if he wasn't a loony.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Dad was not a gun guy like I am, but he appreciated guns. Had an H&R 999 .22 revolver, his Dad's. 22 special pump, and a M99 .300 Savage, all open sighted. He shot very well; I watched him shoot quite a few raccoons, skunks, and a couple badgers that were bothering chickens and graneries on the farm. He thought that ne could kill anything that walked with that .300, and I believed him. Dad supported my interest, and I still remember the thrill when he woud let me shoot the H&R or the .22 special. My Mom's brother, my Uncle Bill, was the one who really took me under his wing with hunting. Growing up on a farm in eastern MT, all I had to do was step out of the house, walk past the corrals, and be hunting. It was a good childhood.

Last edited by 300_savage; 07/04/21.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Guys, I’ve enjoyed reading your backgrounds and stories.

To add to my earlier post.

I can’t remember NOT having a BB gun or pellet rifle. I got proficient (good enuff) with a BB gun
to the point of hitting a quarter in the air regularly....no bs.
Dad bought a Tube fed, bolt action .410 for me when I was young enuff that it hurt to shoot.
Part of that was too long LOP, I still have it.

We bird (quail) hunted more than anything else... deer were RARE.
Today deer are a nuisance and Quail are rare.

My Dad was a great influence on me per guns & hunting even tho most of my
life he only had that 760, 06. He died of a brain tumor in 98 at 72 yo.
I still miss him.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 07/04/21.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dad saw guns as a tool. He brought home a Model 47 Winchester for me when I was five to teach me to shoot a rifle, and an H&R Topper in .410 when I was seven to teach me wing shooting. I used it for pheasants and he had an old Model 37 Winchester in 20 gauge for the same purpose.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've enjoyed this thread too, great idea for a post!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My dad was an avid target shooter and hunter. His dad was an avid target shooter and hunter. Dad and Grandpa were both reloaders. Both hunted with Model 70 Winchesters. I still have Dad's though I have re-barreled it twice. Dad competed in benchrest, high power, and "F" class. He hunted in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, British Columbia, Yukon, and NWT. He taught me about reloading when I was 12 years old and bought me my first big game rifle when I was 14, along with a Lee Loader for it. Later on, I taught Dad to fit and chamber his own barrels. Attempts to get him to do fine stock work werea dismal failure! On my mother's side my grandfather hunted with a Rocky Gibbs 270 and took me to meet Rocky when I was 15. My mother hunted and killed deer, elk, and black bear. I guess you could say guns and hunting are in my blood. GD

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
My Dad started out as a bit of a gun nut. Before the farm and kids came along he had a few. A pre 64 model 70 30-06, a model 64 30-30, a Winchester 67 22 LR and a model 1873 44-40 and for a shotgun he had an Ithaca 37 20 gauge. After he started farming and the kids started coming along, he got rid of all but the 67 and the Ithaca. Much to my disappointment. He simply didn’t have time as a dairy farmer raising livestock and kids to indulge his gun interest.

As I grew and developed a strong interest in shooting, hunting, fishing and trapping, he was able to speak gun with me up to a point. In later years he would often call me to ask about some obscure gun or round he’d read of in a book. It kept me on my toes. I certainly miss my frequent phone conversations with him. Seems like never a week goes by but what I have a story I’d like to share or a corny joke.

Dad never did anything to stifle my outdoor and gun interests. He made sure I had time to shoot on the high school rifle team, hunt, fish and trap as the farm chores allowed. We had 85 acres of woods on our farm and I had the run of a dozen nearby farms with similar amounts of woods. Some of them had steams and ponds. It was a great place to grow an outdoorsman.

Dad did teach my brother and I to shoot and taught us firearms safety. He wasn’t a shotgunner so that I had to learn on my own. After the farm sold Dad did a little hunting with me but he had lost his right eye and never shot enough after the accident to develop any real confidence.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was raised in a household fairly devoid of guns and hunting. My Dad and my grandfather had given it up before I was able to enjoy it with them. Grandpa and my Great-Grandpa were both enthusiastic bird hunters. Dad was a trap shooter and occasional pheasant shooter. It was all over before I got there.

All my shooting and hunting experience came from hanging out with older friends after college. The hunting was mostly self-taught.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by 300_savage

It is great!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Last edited by Bob_B257; 07/05/21. Reason: Paragraph

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by 300_savage

It is great!

Thanks guys. Glad you like it

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Bob B257

Did U ever hear of a Paragraph ?
Whew ! grin grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My Dad is 91 and love him like a father. smile He wasn't a true gun guy but took me bowhunting when I was only 8...deer gun when I turned 12. Well before I turned 10, Dad had a High Standard (Sears) 22 auto rifle that I so much looked forward to shooting. One day he took me aside and said he felt he should trade the 22 for a recurve bow to give to a guest evangelist who had traveled from Kentucky to preach at our church. The preacher had a very simple bow he used as an object lesson on aiming true in life. Dad explained all this to me before he did it but promised me a new 22 rifle when I turned 12 which he made good on. About a year after receiving the Ithaca 49 for Christmas, I traded for a Remington 22 bolt gun and later a 10-22; all without parental approval and have been buying and trading ever since. I blame my Dad for making me a looney!

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Well not really but.....
My dad loved fishing, and took me probably before I could walk. We spent lots of times outdoors even though I grew up in the city. Once I started reading Outdoor Life and Sports Afield and doing book reports at school reading any hunting book in library (they actually had hunting and gun books in library back then), I started talking with my dad about hunting. He grew up in small southern Illinois town where his dad was a coal miner, and he said as a kid used to hunt squirrels and rabbits with a 22 to feed the family. But the mines closed and his family moved to Chicago for work, my dad went to war, and had never owned any guns.
Due to my interest, I was suprised with a 22 single shot one Christmas. Me and dad would go to indoor range to shoot, and took a few trips back to where he grew up to hunt squirrels. This inspired my dad I guess to get a couple shotguns for hunting pheasant and rabbits. I got a Ted Williams 20ga pump from Sears and my dad bought a new Rem 870 12ga. I can remember him saying he must be crazy for spending $90 on a shotgun! I still have his 870 and man has it accounted for tons of small game, and a few deer after I got a slug barrel for it after he passed.
I so miss the times we spent together hunting, shooting and fishing. He died at 64 ten days after retirement....what a frickin pity!
That 870 was the only gun he ever owned. I've had several hundred go thru my hands at this point.
So, I guess dad was not a gun guy, but he gave me the start to enjoy them.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My father hunted a lot when I was a kid, deer, birds, rabbits. He duck hunted almost every morning of the week during the duck season. My uncles hunted a lot too. My father wasn't a gun guy by any means, he only ever owned a .22 (Reminton 521 T), a shotgun (16 gauge Ithaca 37, later a 12 gauge Remington 58) and a pistol (Hi Standard G-380).
One of his brothers reloaded for his .270. I'm probably the only real gun guy from my generation. My brothers don't reload and only own 15 to 20 guns each, including rifles, handguns and shotguns. My two sons have a lot of guns and reload.

Mathew 22: 37-39

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Dad and all my uncles hunted, shot every weekend, gun shows, reloaded etc… we had a gunshop/gunsmith a block away and spent lot of hours up there in the evenings. They all bought, sold and horse traded all the time. Shot card shoots with scoped Winchester 37’s and custom barrels. Dad always had some nice guns around.

Interesting...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_37

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jackmountain

I was at the range on Saturday and two guys were sighting in their Card shoot guns. Both bolt action 12 gauges with scopes and custom 32" barrels. A lot of money just to win a meat tray or a frozen turkey if you're lucky

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My father had only a 30-06 and a 12ga for all my youth. He hunted frequently before he had a house full of children. With more restrictions, less game and higher licensing fees he hung it up. At least that is what he told us…

He worked most weekends and holidays for the overtime pay to keep a roof over our head and clothes on our back. The man really sacrificed many years of his life to take care of his family. I did not understand when I was young but now that I am older with kids in the house I fully understand, respect and appreciate all the sacrifices he made for us.

After we all left home he has gotten back into it a lot and his collection is impressive. Still not an active hunter like he was before children but definitely a gun guy!

Semper Fi

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
My Dad was a WWII guy.He said he had enough of guns and shooting.Both my Gramps and Uncles were hunters and shooters and took me under their wing.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Being from a pioneer family, guns were something everyone in my family had. My paternal grandfather was chief deputy of our county and had quite a collection. The first thing my dad did when he got to Europe in WWII was trade his M1 for a Springfield (he had no love of those new fangled automatics). My mom's dad was somewhat of an outlaw (made for some interesting family gatherings) and although he didn't have many guns, was an avid hunter. He took one of his biggest deer at 93. He had my brothers and I hunting quail at a very tender age with a single shot hammer 410, a true lesson in humility.
My brothers and I all started helping dad reload as soon as we could be relied on to do any chore like case trimming. My oldest brother was an avid reloader and the real loony of the family and went on to be a design engineer at RCBS.
I am not a loony because I only buy guns for a good reason. I just keep coming up with more reasons!

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My dad had been a cavalry scout back when they actually used horses and went thru all of WWII as an infantry first sergeant.

He started me out with a single shot .22 rimfire and once I was squared away on its safe handling would send me out with a single round saying "bring me back a sage rat". Naturally, I'd come back empty handed and then he'd sit me down and ask questions about the shot. What was the sight picture when the gun fired? Did I squeeze the trigger? How far away was I? Where was the sun? Was I above or below the target? Did I use cover to get close? Then he'd send me back out with another round and tell me to focus and hone on one particular skill. When I started consistently bringing back a sage rat for every round fired, he then would give me 2 rounds and send me out saying "bring me back a Magpie". Then I graduated to bringing back rabbits with the single shot.

The day I brought back a coyote he moved me up to the M1 Garand. From .22 rimfire to .30-06 at twelve years old.

I still have that .22 single shot.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Dad’s first gun was an old Winchester 37 Redletter in 12 gauge gifted to him by his father for his 12th birthday. This was in 1958.
Dad went on to become quite the outdoorsman fishing and hunting and even scuba diving for several years. He also enjoyed shooting and had an appreciation for a fine firearm.
Dad bought me my first gun in 1973 when I was but six months old. It was a Browning BL-22. My uncle followed suit six months later giving me a 12 gauge Winchester 37A with a 32 inch barrel. I still have both.
Dad had pretty well given up hunting by the time I came of age but he still liked to rabbit hunt and fish.
Pops liked nice guns acquiring several through the years. He took extremely good care of them and would clean them and polish on them as if they were worth millions.
Somewhere early on I was bitten and became a full blown loony at an early age. I would sit and stare at the guns in the gun cabinet as the light seemed to cause the walnut and blue to take on some type of seductive sheen.
Dad worked with a bunch of gun nuts and hunters in the tool room at GM. Several had their FFL’s. They were all the time sending Shotgun News home with Dad along with gunmakers catalogs which I pored over.
My Grandfather and Uncles had all given up hunting but they loved their guns and rare was the Sunday dinner when there wouldn’t be someone bringing a gun they had bought or traded for. When Dad’s older brother died, he had 176 guns.
All of the the neighbors had guns and traded them for firewood, hogs, cows, trucks and whatever else was needed. Guns were everywhere.
Having no television, if I wasn’t working or in school,I was hunting, fishing or reading about it.
When I hired on the Fire Department there were a lot of gun guys working there. They would pay me to clean their guns.
We had a big kitchen table and some evenings that table would be covered with guns. There would be retired guys there, off-duty guys and even some cops. I would hate to think how many guns that I saw bought, sold and swapped in that place. I thought I was in heaven and pretty well stayed broke, lol.
So, no, I never had a chance and wouldn’t have it any other way. More of a loony now than ever!
So yes, I guess you could say I was raised a gun guy!

Last edited by JTrapper73; 07/05/21.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Dad was a quail hunter. Model 12’s and 42’s were in the shotgun section. Rim fires we Model 61’s, 74’s and a 69. He only had one Model 70. I guess I was an abused child.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by lynntelk
Dad was a quail hunter. Model 12’s and 42’s were in the shotgun section. Rim fires we Model 61’s, 74’s and a 69. He only had one Model 70. I guess I was an (abused) neglected child.

I fixed it for ya. laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
J Trapper

That's about as good as it gets. Congrats

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Huntz
My Dad was a WWII guy.He said he had enough of guns and shooting.Both my Gramps and Uncles were hunters and shooters and took me under their wing.

A related note:

A close friend of mine 1 month younger than me -- died last Fri. He didn't hunt or shoot.....He told me he did enough killing in Nam.
I didn't ask for details. I'll miss him a LONG time.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by jwall
J Trapper

That's about as good as it gets. Congrats

Jerry

Thank you!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntz

A related note:

A close friend of mine 1 month younger than me -- died last Fri. He didn't hunt or shoot.....He told me he did enough killing in Nam.
I didn't ask for details. I'll miss him a LONG time.

Jerry

sorry for your loss

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks Mike

We never have too many friends

I and we hate to lose any.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
My Dad grew up in the co. mountains and was a very capable meat hunter. We went on family horseback elk and mule deer hunts every year we were in the states. My dad always had his WW2 19ll and a Garand in the house but we used family rifles when hunting. When we lived in Tehran, Iran my last 2 years of high school the NIOC guys my dad worked with were avid hunters and members of the ruling class. We went on lots of hunts in the Alborz and Zagros mountains for Ibex, sheep, deer and wild boar. Those wealthy Iranians had some exotic rifles and scopes and spectacular camps and horses. Gangs of coolies were always present to do the hard work except stalking and shooting.

We spent a lot more time fishing and skiing than we did hunting. My dad liked skiis and fly rods much more than he did guns.

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My step father hunted moose and grouse but he was not a gun guy. He owned a Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine, a Model 12 and a Marlin 22lr semi. A box of 303 would last him years but it was him that got me into hunting.

Later, when I got married I needed a hobbie. Weekends with the boys wasn't going to happen any more. I got into guns on my own as a result. smile

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My father liked to hunt and fish but was not really interested in guns as such. To him, they were just tools. Nevertheless, I grew up hunting, fishing, hiking and climbing and had lots of great experiences. I have both my parents to thank for that, because they liked the outdoors and provided opportunities for me.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yes thank God. He always reloaded and taught me. We did a little of everything from fly fishing to bowhunting.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
jwall, sorry to hear about your friend..

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only guns my dad was interested in... were the ones on his fighter.

I was raised by Jack O'Connor.

GR

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks WCH

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Wasnt everybody?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my brother and myself were raised with guns ,my family were not gun collectors they kinda used guns just to either hunt with for food or get rid of critters not wanted around farms. most were Veterans of wars and they like to tell us about the war time battles a little. my one uncle has his name on the patent for plastic hull crimp he invented for Federal Cartridge that all companies in the world used to crimp their plastic hulls and paid Federal Cartridge to use this process. so as a teenager i seen these new plastic crimp hulls and the colors Uncle Stan picked colors for each gauge on plastic shotgun shells too for Federal Cartridge before the public ever seen these plastic hulls and shot a few too. Dang i was to busy as a kid to pay enough attention or understand all this neat stuff at my age of 12 -13 uncle Stan did for Federal Cartridge that was World wide used , but i did get real cheap purple 16 gauge shells to hunt with.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Garandimal

I was raised by Jack O'Connor.

GR

That’s not far off for me when it comes to CF rifles. True

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
Nope. Dad had a bolt 22 and a Remington pump 270. No target practice. Became a gun nut on my own. Any deer that came running past Dad was in the freezer. End of story. Ed

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My dad has guns and shot some - like once a year maybe - when I was a kid. HIs 2nd wife is afraid of guns, so now he rarely shoots but I take him when I can.

My granddad had guns but never shot as far as I know. I have an uncle who used to hunt but never took me.

I really started shooting with co-workers from my first job and hunting shortly after that.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 07/05/21.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Raised to hunt and fish by my Dad. He started reloading shotshells because we shot trap. In about 1974 he started reloading .38 special and .243 Winchester. I can’t say he was a “Gun guy” because he wasn’t as interested in calibers and ballistics as My brother and I were. He definitely steered us in the right direction.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by LEADMINER
My Dad is 91 and love him like a father. smile He wasn't a true gun guy but took me bowhunting when I was only 8...deer gun when I turned 12. Well before I turned 10, Dad had a High Standard (Sears) 22 auto rifle that I so much looked forward to shooting. One day he took me aside and said he felt he should trade the 22 for a recurve bow to give to a guest evangelist who had traveled from Kentucky to preach at our church. The preacher had a very simple bow he used as an object lesson on aiming true in life. Dad explained all this to me before he did it but promised me a new 22 rifle when I turned 12 which he made good on. About a year after receiving the Ithaca 49 for Christmas, I traded for a Remington 22 bolt gun and later a 10-22; all without parental approval and have been buying and trading ever since. I blame my Dad for making me a looney!

My very first shotgun was an Ithaca 49 in .410.
Christmas 1968, when I was eleven. Through the years that followed, more kids were introduced to the shooting sports with that Ithaca single shot.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Dad hated guns, they were a necessary evil that allowed him to hunt. We had a 22 for small game and a Marlin 30-30 for deer, and they were hidden most of the year, fired only to zero and at appropriate game. We had a bit put back by my desire to shoot and know about guns. I wound up hunting to shoot guns, and then shooting, reloading, etc took over. Come to think of it, I did a lot of things he didn’t agree with, but he still accepted me for who I am. I miss him, and still try to hunt with his old Marlin every year on the anniversary of his death, he died carrying the Marlin while hunting.

Old70

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My dad was too busy with work to hunt or shoot. That is ironic since I have heard stories of how good a shot he was as a youth. By the time I was born he only had one firearm- a single shot Remington .22 with a ring in the barrel. He used it for varmints and predators around the farm. His dad only owned one firearm- a 16 gauge long tom single shot shotgun that had a pitted barrel and a loose breech. He liked his squirrel and dumplings and would send me to the woods behind the barn to kill his breakfast while he milked and fed the livestock.

Different story on mom's side of the family. My grandfather was always trading shotguns and .22 rifles. He never had more than one or two at a time, but the inventory changed often. My uncles were gun nuts and helped me to become a gun nut myself. One uncle introduced me to varmint hunting and another started me deer hunting.

Dad traded a pig for my first shotgun- a Winchester 37 in .410.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My dad had a single shot 16 ga shotgun. My cousin is the one that got me into guns.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Dan oz,
Thanks for posting that. Back in college I tried to write poems about guns and manhood, but few understood them. What a legacy!
Best,

Calvin Coolidge had a very low post count too.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Nope. Though everyone in my family was a gun owner, I totally did this on my own 😁
GreggH

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
No. My grandfather was accidentally shot in the stomach by his uncle when he was 18, in 1910. It took them several hours to get him to Staunton to the hospital and he had the bullet in his guts the rest of his life (61 more years!). Dad's older brothers hunted squirrels some, my dad not much. I had a bb gun and a friends father taught me to shoot a shotgun and .22. I started hunting deer a little bit in my late 20s, but until 3 years ago I had only one C.F. rifle, one .22 and 2 pistols. At 50 I bought my first pre-64 Model 70, and I've turned into something of a gun nut. I now have 4 Model 70s, a Winchester 69, an Ithaca 37 and a Stevens 87a, along with a Colt Commander. I started mounting my own scopes a couple of years ago. I appreciate all the help guys on here have given me, I'm always willing to listen and learn.

I'm also of the Jack O'Connor school. There was an April, 1965 copy of Outdoor Life laying around school when I was 12 or 13. The Ram and The Silver Bullet was the story that sparked an interest in hunting in me and I've been an O'Connor fan ever since.

Last edited by AlleghenyMountain; 07/06/21. Reason: Misspelled word
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nope. My dad didn't hunt or fish. Neither did anybody else in the family. He did let my brother and I hunt and would take us to a hunting club he joined so we could deer hunt. He had cut his wrist really bad when a window that was stuck broke. He didn't have any feeling in his hand and I think he was afraid he couldn't control the trigger properly. He did a lot to ensure my brother and I had about all the hunting and fishing we needed by getting some friends to take us.

Harry
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The vast majority of us weren't raised by gun loonies. I think gun loonies used to be a lot rarer than today

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by crockettinaz
Dan oz,
Thanks for posting that. Back in college I tried to write poems about guns and manhood, but few understood them. What a legacy!
Best,

Thanks mate. He could be hard to get along with, but I think that poem says a lot about what it means to have a rifle and know how to use it.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Mom and dad both grew up on small farms during the depression.
Mom in W Va and dad in Ohio.
As kids they hunted for food for the family.

They went pheasant hunting on their honeymoon in Findlay, Ohio.
Used to be famous for pheasant hunting.

Mom gave dad a 1957 Sweet 16 as a wedding present and ironically he gave her a 57 Light 20.

Then a few years later dad got into the fast draw craze of the 1960s and started collecting and shooting Colt SAAs.
Mom shot with him too. They had a range and timer set up in the basement where they would practice every evening.

I was born in Dec of 62. Christmas I was 12 days old.
Under the tree was another A5 Light 20 with my name on it though I wasn't big enough to shoot it until I was 9 years old.

Dad started taking me rabbit hunting with him and my uncle when I was about 2-3 years old.

Started me on a Red Rider BB gun in the back yard at age 4 and I quickly became very frustrated.
He'd blow up balloons and tell me to shoot them, I couldn't hit squat.
One afternoon mom came home from work and said " go grab your BB gun, I wanna try something."
She blew up a balloon and told me to shoot it, of course I missed.
She said" This time, put the rifle on your right shoulder rather than your left."
Low and behold I broke it, and the next 5 .
Dad was left handed and assumed I was as well, boy was he ever wrong.

Dad was an avid wing shooter and started me on a single shot bolt action 410 that had been his first shotgun at age of 5.
Took me dove and duck hunting at age 7.
We started shooting clays w a group of his friends and by age 8 he had me reloading shotgun shells.

At 9 he introduced me to handguns, and by 12 I was reloading handgun ammo on my own on a Rock Chucker that I am still loading rifle ammo on to this day.

Dad never deer hunted a lot until I got into high school and that was only because I got the bug.
He only owned 3 centerfire rifles in his life, a 740 Remington in 280, a Model 81 in 300 Savage and a Browning A Bolt in 30-06.
He shot that 740 for over 50 years until part of the action bars wore out and the rifle wouldn't cycle reliably.

The only 22s dad had were both Brownings
A Grade III Belgian Auto and a Grade 2 BL22.

So yeah I was raised by a gun guy.
When dad passed in 2000 he had 67 Colts and Browning's one or two Remington's and a couple of Mdl12s in the safe.

I still have them all.

As far as the rifle looney part ?

I am self taught.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
HTD

Man, THAT is a resume !!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nope, but Dad knew several who were. My first rifle that I could use and have (for about 6 months) was a Winchester 52 sporter. About cried when I had to give it back to dad's friend after I got my Boy Scout badge. Had the loan of a old Marlin octagon barrel in 45-70 from a good neighbor, dang that thing was heavy... With a hooked style metal butt plate kicked as well. Did get a deer with it however. Same neighbor took me duck hunting for the first time. Borrowed 16 gauge SXS, two triggers. I had Choppers on (no finger gloves) of course I fired both barrels, dang near went over the side of the boat. Black and blue shoulder as well. Did get a duck however.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
HTD

Man, THAT is a resume !!

Jerry

+1

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes and no. He is one of the best shots, rifle and pistol, I’ve ever met, but not a “gun guy”. He taught me and my brother gun safety and marksmanship, but guns were tools to him. He had a 12 gauge shotgun and that was it. We bought guns, .22s, shotguns, pistols, and center fire rifles. He could shoot them all better than we could. He would hunt quail, but that was it. After Korea and Vietnam, he didn’t have much of an appetite for shooting things. I do remember one now humorous interchange; Dad “What chambering will your rifle be?” 21 yo me “.30-06; it has plenty of power for deer.” Dad: “Why not a .223?” Me: “.223 isn’t powerful enough for deer!” Dad: *shrug* “.223 seemed to work pretty well in Vietnam.”

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My old man was a definite "Gun Guy" . Ex Marine, owned a DCM M1 Garand, belonged to a Gun Club with ranges out to a 1000 yards. Must have rubbed off on me, when I worked at a Ski Area doing Avalanche Control I shot a 75 mm Recoiless Rifle as well as using hand thrown explosive charges. Fun Times.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The whole time I was growing up my Dad went deer hunting once. I was younger so I did not get to go. He was working with a guy when I was about 7 or 8 that would hunt foxes. So he got a 243. That was something he could use for fox or deer. When I was in Jr. High my older brother got in to coon hunting. He would go with him and sometimes I would go. When I was in in my mid 20's my other older brother got into hunting. It sounded fun so I borrowed my Dad's 243 and went antelope hunting with my brother. The next year I brought my own gun and started hunting with my brother. My dad started going out with us. He was never the gun guy that I am.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
My Dad was a serious 'chuck hunter, a casual/social deer hunter, and a huge gun collector.

He was such a gun guy that he missed a lot of family events in favor of attending gun auctions or estate sales.

I know people like that. Would rather have stuff than use stuff. A lot of people seem that they would rather tell you about what they have then take the time to go use it. It’s not just with guns either.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hell yes, Dad, Uncles, Gramps' even Grannies packin pistols, guns everywhere, it was a wonderful upbringing, i was on my belly at 6 years old shooting heavy barreled 6MM Rems with big springs on their scopes, paper Pennzoil cans had no chance at all, fall at the deer camps was so special they let school out for a week and actually called it 'deer season' break, times, they've surely changed, and NOT for the better!

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My father passed when I was ten.

My uncle became my mentor in the outdoor world. He was a reader of Jack O'Connor and Zane Grey, and a genuine rifleman. As a kid I remember the Weatherby catalogs, modified falling block actions with after market barrels, TD Browning 22 rifles with fixed custom barrels and full size Redfield scopes mounted with 003" clearance.

He was a varminter, a reloader, shooting MOA 22-250, 6mm BR, custom 22 BR rifles but not into big game hunting. He was a uplander hunting rabbits and I was into birds. I wanted to hunt deer and so we began hunting big game on his best woodchuck pastures.

So my hunting and collecting can partially be attributed to my uncle's fanning the flame of interest but the fire was already inside thanks to my desire to spend as much time in the out of doors as possible. Unfortunately, my uncle is in declining health and our days afield are behind us.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Dad was not a looney, guns were just a tool to him. He was a passionate hunter, though, and knew his game.

He thought the greatest woods rifle was a 94 Winchester, and he was not one to mod things much, nor did he worry about loading his own. He just went down to the store and bought one box of whatever they had.

He did believe in practice, so at the end of the season, he would fire that box off.

Same for the 20-gauge pump he hunted squirrels with.

Those were the only guns I recall him using.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Sort of - my dad was pretty much a shotgun and revolver guy, he used them as tools though, although he was a very good shot with practically any firearm he never did much with them besides hunt .

I am the oldest of 4 boys and he started us all of right - when each of us were 6-ish we got a BB gun, then for our 10th birthday we got a 22 rifle.

Being "gunny" almost seems to be a genetic thing though, I can remember at a very young age (pre-school) I was interested in firearms and to this day the interest has never waned. My next youngest brother is like I am - gunny from the start and has always had an interest in them, the next youngest is like my dad, he uses them but they are just tools. And my youngest brother has no interest whatever in them.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes, matter of fact dad kept his gun cabinet in my bedroom and I knew absolutely not to touch them without his permission or guidance. He bought me a BB gun before I went to Kindergarten. We hunted rabbits every weekend except during deer season and shot bullfrogs with a 22 in the summer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh yeah. Forgot about pouring through Dad's Gun Digest and Herter's catalog for hours when I was kid.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dad served in the national guard where he qualified as marksman........he had a healthy admiration and respect for guns but did not own any.....bought me a 16 gauge single when I was 13. He arranged for me to hunt with his hunting friends but he did not hunt himself. He did have a thing for the Turkey shoot set ups and could rarely drive by one without stopping to participate.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My Dad was definitely a gun guy. He always had a "bunch" of guns when I was a kid. Now, looking back, it was only a handful really, but it seemed like a lot. He was mostly a rifleman, using them for hunting. He did have a M12 that he used for grouse and anything else he decided to go after. And a Colt Scout 22 revolver that he let us kids shoot when we were little and went camping.

But his rifles were his love. He had a Browning T-bolt that I thought was the most beautiful 22 I'd ever seen. The first rifle he bought himself, before he married my mom, was a pre-64 Winchester M88 in 308. Next was a pre-64 M70 in .264 Win Mag. He was a devoted Jack O'Connor disciple. However, even when he couldn't afford to buy rifles, he loved shooting and hunting. I remember him telling me about how his biggest desire in the Marine Corps was to qualify as Expert on the rifle range. He tried several times and could never get it done since he was so nervous. He finally figured to heck with it and didn't care any more if he qualified or not and then promptly qualified since he wasn't putting so much pressure on himself. He was pretty proud of that. He was a heck of a rifle shot, too. Hardly ever saw him miss. He was one of the few people in our little town that reloaded and he taught me and I was reloading by the time I was 10 years old. He and I would often talk about the new cartridges that came out and compare them to existing ones, talk ballistics. I would give him all of my old hunting and shooting magazines so he could read them after me and he would do likewise with me. We would debate which were the best bullets to use for different animals and compare reloading notes and results. We went hunting in Alaska several times together and went to Africa to hunt together once. He was my best friend.

My Dad is 81 years old now and had a stroke in February that has affected his brain. He will never hunt or shoot again, I'm afraid. But a few years ago he asked me if I wanted his beloved .264 M70 (he knows I'm a M70 nut). I told him yes, of course, but that I didn't want to take it from him, that he could still use it. He said he didn't think he would ever use it again and wanted me to have it to use. He took me down to his safe and got it out and handed it to me and as I was looking it over, he told me that I better get it out of the house and loaded into my truck right now before he changed his mind. I know he hated to see it go. On one of the last hunts that he went on, he got to see me use the .264 on an Antelope buck. I think that made him happy. That's how much of a gun guy he is/was.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not really, I think making a living interfered with my wonderful Dad's gun dreams. But, all my children were raised by a gun guy and my wife has tolerated one for over 45 years!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad was an accountant and used to put hand lotion on his hands to keep them soft lol. Luckily we lived on the edge of town with two paddocks between us and a river full of brown and rainbow trout. My brother and I taught ourselves to fish, first with worms and grasshoppers under floats, then spinning with celtas and small rapalas and then fly fishing when I was 15.

Funnily enough, it was university that got me into hunting. I was doing a post grad degree (Environmental Science) on European carp and we had to head out west, in the middle of summer, to catch them. It was so hot we knocked off at 2:00pm and while out uni lecturer went back to snooze, my mate and I went walking down the river and saw pigs coming off the river to feed on the flats on dusk. So on the return home, I went and got my firearms licence, went down the police station and straight to the gun shop, all in about one hour and bought my first gun, a Ruger boat paddle in .243. The next trip out west, we shot our first pig each. And that was it.

My mum never liked guns and I always joked that at least I got something useful out of uni. I remember though that I'd only been hunting for about three months before I got interested in reloading. I remember being fascinated with cases, powders and different bullets while my mates just wanted to shoot stuff. They all sold their rifles within two years while I've been into it ever since. I was the only person at the rifle range with a chronograph and I was only 25.

But my dear old dad didn't really have much to do with our outdoor education. We taught ourselves.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No I wasn’t. My dad passed away when I was 10 years old. I remember that he hunted quail, but that was about all that he hunted. He did however buy a Marlin 39A Mountie just before he died, and that was passed on to me. That gun got me started shooting. My interest grew and was enhanced by my reading any gun magazine I could get my hands on. There were no deer in my part of the country when I was growing up, no wild turkeys, and no coyotes or ground hogs. I went on my first deer hunt when I was 21. That was 56 years ago, and old age is the only thing that has slowed me down since.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No. Pretty much developed a love for the outdoors on my own.

1Minute
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Everyone in my family has had firearms at some stage or other but they have all pretty much viewed them in the same way they viewed a shovel, just a tool for a job. The only one that has had an abiding interest is myself, and that has been mainly from the professional shooting and hunting.

I did make sure my brother has nice firearms but I can not say that he has more than a passing interest other than occasionally going for a shot.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My dad was a hunting, fishing and gun guy, big time! He was always working on someone's guns, and ended up starting a gun shop in town. There were lots of guns in the house and many on a rotating basis. A few that were not churned were his Shultz and Larson 7×61, a BDL 25-06, and his 700 classic 7x57. Dad was famous for loaning guns out to someone that needed one and after he died, we never found out who had the 7x61. mad

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I grew up quail hunting and fishing with my dad. He loved to hunt quail and pheasants, and owned a few guns but was not a gun guy at all. He quit hunting years ago, but still likes to fish. I've been a gun nut for as long as I can remember. My two boys are opposite of each other. One is very interested in the details of every gun or bullet or fishing lure or whatever. The other just loves to hunt and doesn't care what he is using, it's just a tool to him.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was born into a family of match shooters and hunters on my father's side and avid hunters but not rifle looneys on my mother's side. My uncles competed.
Dad was in the industry, cartridge investigations, R&D. ,Sales etc. he retired as Shooting Sports Development Manager for C.I.L., and was technical director for the Shooting Federation of Canada , at one time coached, maganged and shoot for our National Team as well as other "stuff"
I still shoot and hunt with many of the "familyl" rifles , and still compete occasionally with a few of them .
Yup , I come from a long line of gun looneys !LOL
My kid is also a gun looney and wild catter.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 07/18/21.

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I was hatched and adopted by eagles. Actually my Dad had a 20 gauge M-11 Remington and I was given a BB rifle, Winchester single shot 22, Marlin bolt 20 ga. shotgun, Marlin 39A, then a custom Winchester Model 12 when I graduated. Be Well, RZ.

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy. Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. Winston Churchill.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
My dad was not a gun guy. His grandfather, who died when I was about six was a gun guy. He told me you shouldn't shoot rabbits with a .22 when they are sitting still. They might be sick. Shoot them in the head on the run! He could do it. I still have his Remington Model 12, and get it out at least once a year. Unfortunately, he had to sell almost all his guns during the great depression.

Member:
NRA
Ohio Gun Collectors Association
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My Dad was an avid hunter and would've been quite the rifle loony had he not had a wife and 4 kids to feed, plus a mortgage and car payments- on a working stiff's salary. When everything was finally coming together for him, the kids were all gone, and interesting guns were finally coming his way, he had The Big One. Might be what has kept me from following in his footsteps....

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My Dad and 2 of his brothers were big time rabbit hunters. Dad traded a Beagle pup in 1952(he was 18) for a H&R 12 ga single shot.
That was the only gun he ever owned. My oldest son now had it. My Uncle had a Sweet 16....I killed my first rabbit with that gun. As a kid, I picked up every hull and would walk around smelling it for weeks...better than Old Spice! My first gun was a 410 H&R single shot for Christmas at 11 yrs old(my grandson will get it), a Marlin model 60 at 18, Savage 311 12 sxs at 19 and a H&R 22lr/mag at 20. After the 3 kids were grow, the wife says I went loony crazy! Hunting with dad and my uncles got me started! A MS degree in Wildlife Biology from Clemson kept it going. Now I have 2 sons, 2 grandsons and 2 grand daughters and they seem to be following my path and the world cant stop it!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yes. My father and grandfather. Both were Americans living in New Zealand. As such they were into more "American" rifles than the average Kiwi of the time, who shot everything with either a .303 or a .222. I account for my love of lever actions as a genetic inheritance. They liked the .30/30 and my father liked the little .44-40 and the .243. But my fathers main love was rimfires and rabbit shooting. He took me rabbit shooting when I was eight years old and that day mapped out the rest of my life.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
also my father did youth gun safety in a school for fun so we got to shoot plenty. our favorite past time in the spring and summer was shooting rats at the dump sure we had to clean up a truck load of garbage or tree limbs at our house ,uncle`s or grandparents but they all supplied us with 22 ammo to shoot rats at the dump ! now days there are no dumps but man that was fun shoot`n those rats !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yes,but later,money being the holdup I'm sure. Dad was raised in a quail hunting family, they raised and trained bird dogs. My Grampa C had one rifle that I know of, a 63 Winchester. He had a finer bead mounted and supposedly won numerous shooting matches with it and killed one deer I'm told. He died when I was young so I never got to hunt with him. I have the rifle and it's a shooter.

My Dad had a Remington 1100, M700 6mm Varmint Special and Speedmaster BDL, that was it until he joined our towns volunteer police reserve. He went through various duty guns in my teens, He was a trapshooter too and we loaded many a shell together. He reloaded rifle and tons of pistol rounds during the cop days. He always qualified expert and at his funeral the Major of the Sheriffs Department told me "Before there were speedloaders your Dad could load faster from his pocket than anyone. Even after speedloaders he didn't switch for a while. He'd stick his hand in and come out with 6, not 5 or 7, I never saw anything like it "

He did buy several rifles in the 10 years before he died. He hunted with my friends, he always took a weeks vacation during deer season dating back to the mid 70's. We went to Colorado 3 times elk hunting and he killed two cows. We shot trap every week for 7 years or so until he died in 2006. He died way too young and I'm grateful for all those times now.

My Grampa M retired to the farm early and he and my Dad started the deer season vacation thing. He had one CF, a 742 in 243, that was the "big rifle" LOL. He was an old timer that ate a lot of squirrels and rabbits, there weren't many deer until the 70's and. 80's.

Sorry this is so long I probably should have stopped at yes.

KC

You can easily vote your way in to Socialism; but you'll have to shoot your way out.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by pete53
also my father did youth gun safety in a school for fun so we got to shoot plenty. our favorite past time in the spring and summer was shooting rats at the dump sure we had to clean up a truck load of garbage or tree limbs at our house ,uncle`s or grandparents but they all supplied us with 22 ammo to shoot rats at the dump ! now days there are no dumps but man that was fun shoot`n those rats !

Those were the days. My bud and I as teens would go to the city dump at night and shoot rats. We each had a Nylon 66 and took lots of ammo. We'd fire up our headlights, empty the rifles, turn off the lights, reload in the dark. With the lights out, we could hear the rats start moving again. It was nothing for each of us to shoot a brick of .22 LR HP's. We killed a lot of rats. No way could that be done today.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Sounds like fun. My dad’s told me stories about him and my Uncle as teenagers in the 70’s going out at night to shoot rats at the city dump.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Those were the days. My bud and I as teens would go to the city dump at night and shoot rats. We each had a Nylon 66 and took lots of ammo. We'd fire up our headlights, empty the rifles, turn off the lights, reload in the dark. With the lights out, we could hear the rats start moving again. It was nothing for each of us to shoot a brick of .22 LR HP's. We killed a lot of rats. No way could that be done today.

DF

That’s exactly how they described it and yeah can’t imagine that being legal today.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

DF

That’s exactly how they described it and yeah can’t imagine that being legal today.

Today they’d call out SWAT, put us in jail.

Back then no one noticed. And it was a heap of fun. We’ll for us, probably not so much for those rats.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the city where i grew up would allow shooting rats at the dump. you had to check in to get permission and where you could shoot. much simpler times. not as many lawyers.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nope. Dad owned only what he deemed practical. That included a Mod 12, Mod 70 in .243, and a couple .22 rifles. He saw no need for hand guns. However, compared to his father, maybe he was. Grandpa saw no use for guns. Born in 1910, he visited a VA hospital in his youth and that forever soured him regarding firearms. My other Grandpa hunted very little. All he owned was a Savage .22 and a Win 24 double barrel.

I've inherited all the firearms but one, and have added many more to the collection.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Eh .. yes and no. My dad perceives himself as a firearms expert, how about that? His beliefs, mistaken for knowledge / fact, have proven quite risky at times.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nope, dad had a Stevens pump shotgun and a converted 98K Mauser that he would sight in over the car hood minute of cardboard box and good enough. He went to deer camp just because his Masonic buddies did and partied. At least his buddy was a gun guy who gave me his old shooting magazines.
That .22 rat shooting brings back the memory of my best shoot ever. A buddy in school found me in the cafeteria and asked what I was doing that night? We drove a hundred miles to shoot rats all night in a Milwaukee dump that he knew about. His wife drove around in the huge dump and we sat on the hood shooting rats lit up in the headlights.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My dad had what he needed for self defense and hunting. But he could shoot what he had very well. He had 2 shotguns 3 rifles and 3 handguns. He rarely missed a bird with a shotgun. I have seen him put 3 shots in a 1" circle offhand at a 100 yards. I wish I could shoot like he could.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My brother and I grew up in a house that was immersed in firearms, hunting, trapping, and outdoor pursuits. My dad was a forester for the state and spent a lot of his time in the woods of extreme northern MN. We would occasionally go to work with him and tag along. He had a long gait that was hard to keep up with, but there was no waiting around. I learned early to watch my surroundings and lengthen my stride when trying to cover ground. We got in on blowing beaver dams, scaling timber, and lots of wildfires. He has had his FFL since the early 70's and always enjoyed ordering guns for others and for local banquets. He did a lot of scope mounting and sighting in for different people and started several folks out reloading. He taught hunter ed for several years and was the instructor for both my brother and I. We hunted deer, waterfowl, ruffed grouse, and did some predator calling. I got into trapping on my own and have spent many years enjoying my traplines. My old man's brothers were both big time Winchester collectors. One is still around and has a beautiful collection, the other passed away a few years back and had sold a big part of his collection before he died. After my mom passed away, my dad decided that he was going to split his collection between by brother and I so that he could enjoy seeing us use them. He has had a lot of health troubles of his own and can't comfortably shoot any more. I miss the days of shooting and hunting with him, but he still loves to talk guns and has now started to collect again. My son is also an avid shooter and hunter and has a sizable collection of his own. While my dad can no longer go with us, I enjoy nothing more than spending time in the field with my son.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

No. My dad was the last of six Depression era farm kids of poor Dutch immigrants. He was a bookworm child who became an Econ and history prof later on the GI Bill after WWll.. He was wounded in the Philippines with two other brothers, one a POW in North Africa, and the other on a bombed out ship in the South Pacific; this was before the Sullivan brothers event. Only one of his brothers came to hunt casually after that. He did bring a Japanese 6.5 Carcano with an obstructed barrel home with him.

My sibs and I (the oldest), are all professionals, but with me being the only true conservative, hunter, and semi-loony ( I pale next to some here). It could have been a gene mutation I guess, or adoption except that I do favor my folks physically. I could accurately say that there is a liberal bent in the rest and their attitudes toward guns, no doubt from our dad’s and other post-grad influences (even then). I have always been different politically.

I was enamored at a young age of cartridges and the odor of burnt shotgun powder from the H&R 410 my father did buy me at age 12 or so. And the gun magazines at that time. My first couple of other guns were purchased through the local Sears & Roebuck catalog store or from a local combination barber-gun shop with a stained, creaky wooden floor — it was a much different time in America as we all know.

And so it began, primarily as an Iowa pheasant hunter in the days of abundant Government Acres (now CRP). That habitat and a fresh snow competed heavily with my college classes at the time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

DF

It was a big sport for us in HS as we did the same. We taped flashlights to our .22’s also. It was actually kind of eerie as the whole dump started moving in the dark and you’d even hear the tinkling of cans as the rats moved about. It could almost give a guy a case of the heebie jeebies. 😀

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’m a self-made gun crank, with a bit of help from Jack O’Connor, John Jobson, Pete Brown, and some others. Have no one to blame but myself.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Nope. My dad had a 30-06 he bought in the fifties, 2 shotguns (16 and 20) bought in the 60s, a Ithaca Lever-action 22 (think Henry) and a 44 mag Ruger Blackhawk and S&W K22. Only saw the the shotguns used once and the rifle only came out when it was hunting season. The revolvers only came out if us kids wanted to shoot them. The 22 rifle was used most, usually when we went to an uncles ranch near Straw, MT to shoot gophers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I started hunting we had 3 rifles that belonged to my grandfather: a model 94 in 30-30 with a side mounted scope, a model 99 in 300 Savage with a scope, and a k98 in 8x57. The way it worked out was I got the 30-30 because it didn't recoil much, my grandfather got the 300 Savage because he was up in years and needed the scope and my dad took the 8x57 with open sights.

After a year or two my dad had a smith rework the bolt on the model 98 and had a scope installed on it. I hated that 30-30. We hunted with my uncle and my two cousins. My uncle was the looney. The first year we all went was his return to the woods after not hunting for 10-15 years. His oldest used his 760 in 30-06 and I forget what he took that year. After that he took a liking to the Browning A-bolt's and Sako's and they all had one or two. I still had my 30-30. When I was 16 I saved up enough money and bought a model 70 classic stainless in 7mm rem mag with the BOSS system. My uncle tried to talk me into buying a Browning but I was sold on the CRF of the model 70. A little overkill for the woods of PA but I wanted a bolt action like my uncle and cousins and after pouring over ballistics charts and reloading manuals I decided on the 7MM. I killed my first deer with that very rifle.

I hated the 30-30 because I wasn't a good shot with it. Part of it probably was because I was a 12 year old kid and it didn't fit quite right. The other issue I think was the offset scope with the thin buttstock. It was nearly impossible to get a good cheek weld but I didn't understand that that was the issue at 12. I blamed the gun.

I bought one or two more rifles in my 20's when I hit 30 things got out of hand. I got a new job with a nice raise and a lot of overtime. That's when the loonyism hit full force.

My dad was more of a gun as a tool guy. I blame my uncle, those reloading manuals, and all of the outdoor magazines I read in my youth.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My father thought hunting and guns were a waste of time. My grandfather on the other hand thought guns were necessary. I just happened to be mentored by a friend of the family who knew more about guns then I ever will and taught me a bunch. Memories I will always treasure, when I buy a gun I can hear him telling me yes or no and why.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I was not but my son was.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Borchardt
I was not but my son was.

LOL

Good answer

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I definitely wasn't. My father hated guns to be around him in his house. And so my brother and I weren't even allowed to have an air rifle. My brother and I assumed that his hate was based on his experiences with WWII and the absence of his father, being a soldier, when Dad was young and needed him very much. My paternal grandfather was captured on the Krim peninsula in 1944 and released from Russian captivity in 1950.
In our opinion father always linked guns to war and war the the absence of loved ones. But we were suprised to see him fire an old military rifle in later years after my wife and I had moved in a rural area into the neighborhood of a shooting range. My brother brought a 22 short Polish training rifle, made in 1932, and Dad, of 1936 vintage, was very eager to try this gun. The one and only "weapon" he liked to shoot was bow and arrow.

Elmer Keith
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

Nope! My father certainly wasn’t anti-gun, he was just a poor boy that couldn’t afford unnecessary firearms. He wasn’t a passionate hunter, and probably only went hunting a couple dozen times once he had a family. Most of his adult life he had 2 firearms.....a S&W Model 10 and a Winchester Model 12.

Though, he recognized my passion for hunting and firearms, and gave me my first gun for my 7th birthday....a Benjamin Pump in .177 caliber. This was the beginning of my desire to hunt as much as possible and to aquire a few firearms over my lifetime! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Yeah, my Dad is very much a gun guy, far more than me in terms of collecting. He was a gunsmith by trade for a while. Went to school for it in Colorado, worked at a couple of shops, then had his own for about 8-9 years. He wasn't making the kind of money he wanted at it, though, so he went back to electrical maintainence to finish out his career until he retired. He's getting up there in age now and his eyes have gotten pretty bad, so he doesn't shoot or hunt much these days, but still a collector and very good source of info when I run into a rifle issue once in a while.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My dad owned guns, but like many of his generation, they more a tool than a "fun" item. He enjoyed bird hunting but for him, they were used to fend off owls and foxes from the hen house. And to kill an occasional ground hog that would want to take up residence under one of the barns. He didn't tolerate stray dogs hanging around, either.

Last edited by 222Sako; 09/30/21.

Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

A lie doesn't become truth; wrong doesn't become right; evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by the majority...Rick Warren

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Growing up in the Depression he wasn’t so much a “gun guy” but more a hunter, small game, quail, ducks and doves.

When I was little, I remember he had a Colt Police Positive 38 S&W, a Rem Sportsman 58 12 gauge, a Winchester 74 and a Mossberg 20 gauge bolt action. As my two brothers and I got older three 1100’s came around along with some more 22’s. The first centerfire rifle in the house was my 700, 243 that I bought with lawn mowing money. That was when the deer herd started making a comeback and deer hunting started to become more popular.

Lots of good hunts with him and later with him and my brothers when they got old enough. I got checked out of school several times for some good dove shoots. 😊 I still have a partial box of the Peters, paper shot shells with the flying mallard on the front. Can’t forget how the fired ones smelled. 😁

Last edited by navlav8r; 09/30/21.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith
I definitely wasn't. My father hated guns to be around him in his house. And so my brother and I weren't even allowed to have an air rifle. My brother and I assumed that his hate was based on his experiences with WWII and the absence of his father, being a soldier, when Dad was young and needed him very much. My paternal grandfather was captured on the Krim peninsula in 1944 and released from Russian captivity in 1950.
In our opinion father always linked guns to war and war the the absence of loved ones. But we were suprised to see him fire an old military rifle in later years after my wife and I had moved in a rural area into the neighborhood of a shooting range. My brother brought a 22 short Polish training rifle, made in 1932, and Dad, of 1936 vintage, was very eager to try this gun. The one and only "weapon" he liked to shoot was bow and arrow.

Your grandfather's experience from capture to all his time in captivity must be one to marvel at given the mortality rates of eastern front POWs. Did you ever get to speak with him?

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Same here. That generation, in my family, looked on them as tools.

Retired cat herder.

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad was born in 1927 and hunted rabbits and squirrels as a kid. He said he used to trade those rabbits and squirrels for flour and other essentials at the local store. Oddly enough that old store was still standing when I was a kid as was the house they lived in. He plowed fields with mules growing up. He enlisted in the Navy during WW2 and then went to college at N.C. State University where he was in Army ROTC. As an officer he joined the Paratroopers, which I guess was the special forces of the time, and one jump away from becoming a jumpmaster the Captains parachute streamlined on top of dads and they hit the ground. dad lived the captain didn't. I pain all of his life he did take me squirrel and rabbit hunting. Also quail hunting with his brother and my other uncles on my moms side. I don't really think he enjoyed it that much but he enjoyed being with me a seeing me out shoot the old folks. As I got older, maybe 13 or so he never went hunting again. But he always encouraged me. I went hunting most everyday after school with my model 37 20 gauge Ithaca pump or my Mariln 22 which dad had bought me. he also bought me a Mec 20 and 12 gauge reloader and when we finely got some deer around he bought me a Remington 700 BDL 30-06 with a 3-9 Leopold scope. Shortly there after I had an RCBS press and everything I needed. Dad really didn't teach me much on how to hunt but he supported me and one of his bothers was an NC Game warden and between them both they did teach me gun safety and to respect the game animals we pursue. Most of what I know I gained through reading everything I could, experience, and trapping probably helped more than anything I guess. But my dad loved me and supported me and that is all that matters.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad is a hunter at heart, but he does appreciate a really good gun.

Romans 5:1
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My grandfather was a hunter. He had a Winchester 94 in 30-30 that he bought new in 1926. He had a Remington Model 11 in 20 ga that he was an excellent shot with. He replaced it with a 12 ga Remington 11. He took it out on its first hunt and emptied it a pheasant. He walked back to the car, got his trusty 20 ga and never fired the 12 again. I have both now, the 20 ga is more or less worn out and the 12 ga looks like it's brand new, since it's only fired three shots.

My father was also a hunter. He had a Remington 721 in 30-06 with a Bausch & Lomb Balvar scope with the adjustment in the rings, a Winchester 71 348 Win, and a Belgian Browning Auto 5 in 20 ga. He also liked target shooting and had a Winchester 52B target rifle. Just for fun he had an Rockola M1 Carbine he bought from the US government for the princely sum of $25. The only condition was that to get the carbine, you had to be a member of the NRA. How things have changed since 1962.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith

Your grandfather's experience from capture to all his time in captivity must be one to marvel at given the mortality rates of eastern front POWs. Did you ever get to speak with him?

Yes, but only for a short time. I was just under 7 years old when he did. It was an accident. He fell down the stairs leading into the basement. He wasn't sober at that time. But I recall that once I had asked him about Russia. He replied that it is a wonderful country and that he as a POW sometimes had more to eat than the civilans he had some contact to when occasionally leaving the camp to work outside.

Decades later while celebrating the 40th anniversary of work of a co-worker I learned that my grandfather was one of the guys still talking in Russian while at work. Granddad, Dad and I had/have the same employer. Six years in Joe Stalins camp obviously coins your life even positively.

But my father told me that Granddad must have had nightmares because sometime in the night he was shouting and crying in his sleep.

Another story I recall which came from my father that when Granddad was in Russia and fighting partisans he once took a foxhole filled up with lots of food. Among the cans was corned beef Made in the U.S. At that very moment he and his comrad new: The War Is Over! When the Americans were delivering supply to the Russians there was no Endsieg/final victory anymore.

Elmer Keith
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty much says it all! LOL
Cat
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My dad was a gun nut. Neighbors and friends and relatives brought rifles to him for repair, re-barreling etc. His mother and father were gun nuts. His grand father and grand mother were gun nuts. Great Grand mother carried a rifle with her most of the time. They came out West right after the civil war. Great Grand Father had his thumb blown away in that war. They were near where the Calvary chased Big Foot and his tribe to Wounded Knee - exciting times, I bet.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes and no?

My dad thinks plenty of guns are cool, but I've only ever seen him own and hunt one centerfire rifle, a professionally sportered Lee Enfield with nice monte carlo stock from an outfit in Ottawa called "Globe". It did what he wanted and has a lot of miles and stories behind it.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wal-Mart in Pa does not sell lead sinkers anymore

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What a great thread. My Dad had a 22 , shotgun, 30-06and killed a bunch of deer & birds but became more of a gun guy as I started hunting with him.& his buddies. My maternal grandfather is to this day the finest shotgun marksman I’ve ever hunted with in 50 years of hunting dozens of guys. When I was his dog as a boy he dropped bandtail pigeons close to the road to make my job easier. Spent a summer with paternal grandfather in South Dakota & he bought me a box of 22’s every day that 10 year old Summer. He had me finish off varmint last that teenagers wounded shooting at the dump - liked his grandson being the best rifle shot. In my big extended family nothing but support for hunting & shooting. My Grandmother chastised my newest son-in-law for missing a big Tom Turkey the day she met him at age 98. None were collectors but I still use an old model 11 as my Turkey gun even though I can’t shoot it as well as my grandfather did.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Dad wasn't what I would call a gun guy. He had some guns, but wasn't a loony and didn't handload. He had a few .22 revolvers, a Marlin 39 (not a 39a), a pre-64 Winchester M94 30-30 and a Remington 720/722 (not sure which) in .257 Roberts. The rifles sported iron sights only. No shotguns, but he had a couple of recurves and a leather quiver full of arrows with practice points and broadheads. He also had a lot of fishing poles and tackle. I never saw him use any of them other than the Marlin 39 to take care of varmints. He had stopped hunting and fishing by the time I came along.

My interest in guns and hunting was pretty much my own although just having the hardware in the house was something. They certainly captured my attention and spurred my imagination when I first found them tucked away in the closet.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Really like this thread also. Find interesting how many grew up without their fathers influence into the shooting sports.
Although my father had a number of rifles, shotgun and handguns never remember him hunting or shooting when I was young.
I believe he hunted growing up but don’t recall him ever talking about it. That said there was never any objection when I got involved with shooting and hunting when I was in high school but he never showed much interest in my activities. I guess my mentors were Keith, O’Conner, Page and the rest when I was young.
Interesting side note. I recall when I was six or so my father was going to go on a hunt in Alaska with several friends. Don’t know why but he never went on the trip ?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
No, I got interested in guns by reading gun magazines in the barber shop, the barber started collecting gun magazines for me, joined the NRA at 12 in 1968

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
my dad was military, but I wasn't exposed to firearms until I was 10 or so. he took me out to shoot a 12 gauge with no working up to it, at 10 y/o.

One the other end, my mom was anti gun... I still hear her to this day.... You don't need that. It won't hurt you. you don't need to go out hunting, you have work around the house that needs to get done instead. you can do that some other time.

yet when her dad died, she wanted each of my brothers and me to have one of his firearms.... she wouldn't let us go shoot them, but she wanted us to have them because they were his.

I hunted a couple of seasons at Ft Bragg with my dad in 1966 and 1967. then he went overseas to Vietnam and that ended that... he was over there several years.
at 28 I started hunting with my in laws in Northern MN in 1980 after I got married. had no guns during college or after I got out and went into the military.

so I was close to 30 y/o before I got to be around any firearms at all, much less hunt.

even then, when ever my mom visited, she'd always go thru my closet and then ask me what in the hell do I need those for., yet she would get into the freezer and find, venison Squirrel etc.... and eat all I had while there..... my first wife hated wild game, but she would always want me to go hunting with her dad, which allowed her to go home and spend the weekend with her mom... but she was happy when my mom would come and eat all the wild game in the freezer.

only as I got older and got away from my first wife, and my mom... was I able to freely enjoy the things I was interested in since my childhood... so my child hood fantasies started when I was almost 40.....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
reading thru a lot of the thread, made me think, what kind of guns did your granddad use, and uncles etc?

My mom was from West VA and my dad from Rural Central Tennessee...

14, 15 and 16 I was taken out alot with some of my other cousins, just walking with them while they hunted... it was always the grandmothers, and aunts who wanted the men to take the boys out hunting with them.. ( probably not for our benefit, but more like getting us from under their feet)....of course they felt we needed to carry a gun.. and since hunting on farms owned by relatives, having a hunting license was much of a concern.

but the guns the men always hunted with were some brand of 30/30 lever action.... and they always looked like they had some miles on them... no scopes, just open sights.

for us boys to carry, they would pull out some really old lever actions, rickety as hell and having belonged to ancestor since past, long before we were born.
" this was uncle Lems he did in 1926".... we couldn't hit a barn with a shot from 50 yds with these things...and they always seemed to be chambered in some cartridge with funny numbers.... the bullets were shorter than the 30/30 rounds that our uncles used, so they must have been old pistol cartridges.. I remember the ammo always seemed to have green spots on them, and looking pretty discolored.. and the ammo came "all loose" from old cigar boxes..

We never really got any shots at game, as the men would take those... but they would always let us shoot 3 or 4 shots off at something being used as a target, just to say we did it. Some didn't kick at all, and some kicked like a mule.. we always tried to avoid being the one that had to carry those lever action rifles...

from my dad, I still have a Model 64 Winchester he bought in 1966 that he got for $49 from the base Rod and Gun Club, when we left England... and a Model 870 Remington shot gun he bought new on base around 1958 or so....and then an old Savage 24, that was my grandfather. 22 LR on top ( and shot out) and a 410 on bottom. I also inherited a Marlin 30/30 my grand dad had, that the story goes he bought it sometime in the 1930s from Western Auto in Union...Some ass wipe stole it out of my truck, back in MN.....no serial number on that or the Savage 24....

Those old rifles were cheap, and those owned by relatives who had served in the military, kept good care of them... the ones relatives owned who hadn't served in the miitary, we not so well taken care of.

Those old lever actions they had us boys carry back in the 60s, weren't worth much back then... but I bet these Cowboy action shooters, would pay a fortune for them nowadays.

None of my uncles brought back rifles from WW2, that I ever saw.. so no Arisakas or Mausers. I do remember Uncle Carl had a Luger tho he brought back, but in either side of the family, we were always not allowed to even touch a handgun.... my mother wouldn't even let us boys have a BB gun....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
My Dad was, and still is a bolt guy above all else. His main deer rifle was a Ruger 77 in 25-06 when I was a kid. He also had a couple of sporterized Japs he built into a 260 (6.5-308 back then) and .308 that he used once in a while. For small game, he had an old Anschutz bolt and a Win 9422.

Most of my uncles were lever guys. The two that hunted with us most both carried Marlins, one was a 30-30, the other was a 35 Rem. They both used Marlin 39s for small game.

Neither of my grandads hunted much, but they both had a couple cheap shotguns and 22 rifles.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (007FJ, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,271
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.