Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was not. My dad was a very good hunter he only really knew as much as he needed to about guns. He kept several around but they were chosen strictly on practicality and not sentiment. I don’t know how I ever ended up as a loony? No one in the family was one.

BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My father didn't hunt, wasn't a gun guy. He didn't want to hunt or be a gun guy.

He used to tell me that with all the money I spend on that hunting stuff and guns I could just buy a whole cow.

I have always said he taught me more about how I DIDN'T want to be as a man that how I wanted to be.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My dad shot targets every weekend. He hunted in Pennsylvania when he was a kid, but didn't when I was growing up. My grandfather was an avid hunter and gun collector.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by moosemike
I was not. My dad was a very good hunter he only really knew as much as he needed to about guns. He kept several around but they were chosen strictly on practicality and not sentiment. I don’t know how I ever ended up as a loony? No one in the family was one.

same for me.....interesting indeed

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I was. My dad taught me rifle, handgun, wingshooting, and reloading,

I was fortunate!

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My Dad was a serious 'chuck hunter, a casual/social deer hunter, and a huge gun collector.

He was such a gun guy that he missed a lot of family events in favor of attending gun auctions or estate sales.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
No.

Dad and Grandpa hunted and had guns. Were well informed about guns etc. Not big collectors or accumulators.

Later in years my Dad became fussy about rifle accuracy and took up handloading.

Had a freind in my twenties. He was into handloading and guns. Got me a little interested. At that time I bought a big box of gun periodicals for cheap at a gun show. That box spent my money fast as I could make it for a few years.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My dad was a once in awhile, casual deer hunter. Other than that he shot some woodchucks around the homestead once in awhile when they became a nuisance. Only had three guns his whole life. Deer rifle, shotgun and .22. Haven't seen his deer rifle or shotgun in years but the .22 {an old Sears bolt action} still leans in the corner behind the kitchen door. My gramps was the same way but I had a couple uncles and cousins that were avid hunters.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Grew up in the desert around Tucson with a BB gun my grandfather bought me or slingshots I made. Flipping burgers at 14 and saw some of my friends hunting deer with their fathers. Asked my father why we weren't doing the same. He said we needed rifles and we didn't have any. Got on the bus and went to K Mart an put 2 Marlins on layaway. Surprise was blown when the counter guy said I needed my father to retrieve them. Only seasons I missed since then were my years in the Navy. Dad hunted with me til age 87.
George

Dad always said, "Nadie Nacio Ensenado" (No One Was Born Taught)
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Dad and all my uncles hunted, shot every weekend, gun shows, reloaded etc… we had a gunshop/gunsmith a block away and spent lot of hours up there in the evenings. They all bought, sold and horse traded all the time. Shot card shoots with scoped Winchester 37’s and custom barrels. Dad always had some nice guns around.
I learned to read with his stacks of G&A, rifleman etc….

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by moosemike

Similar.

Dad had a Stevens double 12 that he could shoot pretty well. It was just a tool to him. He would sometimes go rabbit hunting with us boys, had a policeman friend who had a pack of beagles. He'd show up on Sat mornings and we'd hunt swamp rabbits in our woods.

Other than that, I'm a self made loony, was reloading in high school, working on guns, etc.

He respected what I was doing, didn't criticize. Once he came in the house saying get your gun. There was a bunch of buzzards harassing a new born calf and mother. I got my .244 40XB, stood in the back of his old Ford pickup and we eased up on the scene of the crime. I tapped on the cab, he stopped, I bused one at 80 yds or so. They flew to a tree 125 yds away. I busted another one. They flew, found another tree 250 yds away. Busted another one.

Now the old man wasn't one to brag on anyone, but I could tell he was pleased, maybe even a bit impressed. Of course he wouldn't say anything.

Another time I was sitting on the back steps, had been working on a Rem roller .45-70 that I built using a 43 Egyptian action and a kit from Numrich. A bird landed on a gate about 20 yds away. I sent a wheel weight slug towards him, but the bullet busted the galvanized pipe where the bird was standing. Ruined the gate, as the gate frame was the galvanized pipe. It now had a flex joint where one wasn't needed. Dad asked what I was gonna do about that. I replied I was gonna raise the sights a couple of notches. He couldn't say a word, just grinned and walked away Yep, I was bit of a smart arse even in my teens.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
moosemike;
Good afternoon and Happy Fourth of July to you sir, I hope the day's gone well for you.

Initially I was going to answer, "not really", but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that's not correct.

Although we only had a single shot Cooey .22 and Dad's moose hunting rifle - a Savage 99 .250 that I recall first and then a Winchester 100 in .308 not long after that, he took me hunting before I started school.

When I showed an interest in hunting where my brother who was 9 years older than me hadn't, a used Slavia 624 pellet gun showed up quickly where my elder brother never got one.

After I'd proved to be both safe and useful at farm pest removal with the Slavia, it was traded for a Lakefield .22 repeater which I actually still have today.

Following the .22, I started to purchase my own firearms, which while I was too young to do, was supported and when I look back on it encouraged by Dad.

We hunted together when I was in my early teens with him being there when I took my first head of big game and then my first whitetail buck not long after.

When I moved away from home, they moved here to BC and when I came for a visit and stayed for awhile, we hunted together again for the first time in years.

After moving here with my wife in '84 after farming didn't work out for us, Dad again came hunting with me, first borrowing my wife's hunting rifle and then I converted a 96 Swede into a lightweight and light recoiling rifle for him. We hunted together for years after that until his health didn't allow him to ride in the pickup on the rough mountain roads any longer.

During those years, a bunch of firearms came and went from our place and Dad was always interested in seeing the new ones.

Sorry for the too long response, but yes sir, on balance I was initially wrong and in fact Dad likely was more of a gun guy than I'd thought. He was a grand man, a good friend and I was blessed to have him as a father.

Thanks for causing me to take some very pleasant paths down my memories, all the best to you and Happy Fourth of July.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
No, home life wasn’t pleasant, don’t really know how I became so interested. A guy I was working with took me out to Ozona deer hunting when I was in my early 20’s. I’ve been interested in guns and hunting ever since. I need to look him up, he is a plumber that taught me a whole lot also.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well, kinda sorta.

My Dad borrowed a Customized B 303 that’s all
I know about it. It sat beside the front door a few
nights before he went deer hunting.

That rifle put the RIFLE in me.

We squirrel and quail hunted each year so hunting and guns were in my young life.

@ 1960 or so Dad bought a 760, 30-06 and it
looked new to me. Later I used it to hunt when Dad wasn’t.

I was married before I bought my own deer rifle
(I guess you’d call it).
I was NEVER impressed with its limits.

2 yrs later I bought my first 243 and then got on the slippery slide of Rifle Loonyism.
There is NO cure.

So, guns & hunting were in my life at a young age.
My G pa loved to deer hunt..there were FEW deer
in the 60s and he never killed a deer.

I’m thankful for my family’s interest.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Pops set up at gunshows, did some 1911 work ( had FFL ) was in one collectors association.

Quit shooting varmints around age 60 but kept killing paper til 80.

Couldnt handle blood LOL.
Id bring home deer and hoist em in oak tree out back and skin em. Hed stay inside.

Used to cast bullets and reload when I was in 6th grade ( I had a 660 in .222 and a Ruger 3 screw 357 ).

Pops did a lot, liked .22 IHMSA.
I hunted and geeked out a little more on some gun stuff.

He was a decent shot til he got bifocals.

Up until the yr before he died, if I wanted to see him Id have to drive to the indoor or outdoor ranges. Retired he had a good time shootin the last 20 yrs.

Last edited by hookeye; 07/04/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not a gun guy by any measure but both my mom and dad grew up on small farms in NC during the 1920's and both hunted small game for food - squirrels, rabbits and quail mostly. That translated into both of them considering it natural and normal to have guns around so when I started showing an interest in them they fully supported me.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My dad was an excellent hunter, but not a gun guy. The only rifles he owned were a Model 94 Winchester in .30-30, which only came out for his annual deer, and a .22 pump. He taught me to shoot and the ethics of hunting, the way the Indians did. If you were worthy, an animal would present itself to you. He taught me to never kill an animal you didn't intend to eat, and to try to use the whole animal, tan the hide and use it to make something useful, etc.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My dad bitched about my hunting. Deer, geese, dove, rabbit, turkey.....he ripped my ass about it til the end.

Was a rough old bastard. Never cut me any slack.

Funny, coworker of his said he bragged about my killin at work

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My Dad was a small game hunter growing up and taught me the same, rabbits and squirrels mostly, but I wouldn't say he was much of a gun guy. I didn't own a deer rifle until I was in my mid-30s. Killed my first deer about the same time. My Dad borrowed one of my rifles and killed his first deer a few years later. He continued to borrow one of my rifles until I gave him my 280Rem as a Christmas present when he was 70. Figured it was time he owned his own deer rifle. His grandson, my nephew, appears to be a future looney like me and I'm sure he'll appreciate owning his Grandpa's deer rifle some day. Not to mention my entire collection since I have no kids of my own.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My old man was very knowledgeable about military rifles. He was also a tremendously good shot, and several people saw him do things like wingshooting ducks with a .22, which he did more than once or twice. He also had done well in competition, both rifle and pistol, but had given that away before I started shooting. He had done a lot of small game hunting and duckshooting, but had largely given those away before I started shooting too. Most of what I learned about hunting or the finer points of marksmanship I learned from other family members.

Apart from his interest in military rifles he wasn't really a "gun guy" either. He'd never had any interest in handloading, or ballistics, or scopes or anything like that. In fact he never had a scoped rifle - seeing him shoot with irons he had no real need of one. We always had several guns in the house though, and he would often impulse buy something - usually a .22 - and then after giving it a bit of use it would often get handed off to someone else (me, if I was lucky). He was also happy enough to go with me to gunshops or gunshows when I was a kid, to be the responsible adult if I wanted to buy something.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
102 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,354 guests, and 677 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.