Print Thread
Hop To
G
Goat Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I must make a a sad confession for a man who loves lever action rifles. I've never owned a lever action designed by John Moses Browning. I know its sad but it's the truth. But perhaps all is not yet lost because I've often thought of a Rossi '92. Particularly a 357Magnum. I think two things have held me back from already owning one. First is the fact that I love Marlin rifles! There is nothing like solid American made Marlin rifle with its deep bluing and American black walnut stocks. Secondly, I hate metallic sights! Plain and simple I just hate them. I can shoot them well enough in ample light, or I could until a few rears ago when I passed my 50th birthday. I can shoot receiver (peep) sights much better but still have issues when light begins to fail.

I buy rifles primarily to hunt with and to play with secondly. Or that's the way its always been. But if I would admit it (which I'm not) I already have more rifles than I can hunt with now. Maybe I'm going to have to change the reason I own firearms from self defense and hunting to self defense, hunting and fun!

So after all this... What are the pros and cons to the Winchester 92 clones? What should look for and what should I avoid like the plague? I have a fondness for the 357magnum, cast bullets and short barrels. I could live with a 20" as long as it is not an octagon barrel. Would the Rossi carbines be dependable and trouble free or should I save up for a Browning? And it must be capable of having a receiver sight as purchased or with only minor gunsmithing.
Let me hear your thoughts...

Goat

"I know you believe that you understand what you think that I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
( A quote of my Father)
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have owned three of the Rossi 92 rifles, one a 20 inch barreled 44 magnum and the other two 16" barreled carbines in 45 Colt. All three are reliable and accurate rifles. In fact one of the 45 Colt Rossi's is behind the seat of my truck right now. The 44 magnum rifle would not shoot light loads at all for some reason yet shot full power rifle loads very well. My pistol loads not so much.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have a 16” 44mag SS and so far so good. I went through it before I started using it and turned it. Shot well after sighting in and I really like it. Great value. Oh, you will need to put on some type of recoil pad as the trappers have a thump.

Last edited by TxJW; 07/05/21.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have a 357 24 inch octagon. I like it although heavy. Got the Steve's Guns peep on it that replaces that safety. Be prepared to put a taller front sight on. Well made and fun.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have a 20" 44 mag that I carry behind the seat in the truck and I pack it horseback when I'm in bear country in the summer. It functions well and shoots as well as my aging eyes allow. If I lost this one, I'd go buy another just like it. Handy. Quick handling.

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 16" .357 that I love. It is really accurate and it feeds .38s as well as .357s. Wouldn't get rid of it for anything. I have a ,45 / .454 and also a .44mag. that I am selling to thin the herd. All the Rossi's are really great guns and great shooters. My eyes are old and screwed up so I put Williams peep sight on the and they shoot like a champ.

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I plan on getting the triple black with a suppressor.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1973cb450, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,941 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,257
Posts18,467,069
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.