Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Joezone
For the colder weather make sure you have insulated boots or packs that are up to the challenge.

We all have good boots and packs. We will have to invest in a good tent and sleeping bags.

Somebody mentioned the GI sleeping system earlier. I remember that system well and it definitely did the job, but it also compressed down to about the size of a beachball and weighed a ton. I’ll be looking for a good, backpacking cold weather bag.

GB1

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by KC

Jeffrey:

Since you have never gone on a hunt on-you-own (a guided/outfitted hunt doesn't count), here are some tips from someone who has been an avid camper, backpacked and backpack hunter for seventy years.

1. Don't go on your first backpack trip and make it an elk hunt. That could be dangerous.

2. Forget the idea of renting a house, motel or any other kind of lodging. There’s a problem with sleeping in a motel or lodge because it’s not located in prime elk habitat and you have to spend time in the morning and evening traveling between where you are staying and where you are hunting. So, you either have to spend less time hunting or less time sleeping.

3. I suggest that you camp at the trailhead. But you shouldn't do that without some practice. Get some good gear, including a four-season tent and sleeping bags rated at 0°. Do your first camping in your back yard. Then do some camping near your home. After a few trips and a few mistakes from which you learn, then take what you’ve learned into the hills. I see you're from Texas. Texas has some excellent state parks with campgrounds. That's a good place to start.

4. I hope that you own an SUV or 4x4 pickup. Drive that to the end of the road, at a wilderness area boundary. Setup your camp there and day hike in from that camp to do your hunting.

5. Remember that elk hunting will probably be done in the cold and snow. So be prepared. That's why you need a 4-season tent and warm sleeping bags.

We’ll be hunting the same area and time of year that we all hunted last year. Of course it could all be different, but last time we were in deep snow and had a blast. Saw lots of elk too. Just would like to avoid driving to and from the field every day. My one reluctant friend is not wanting to give up his creature comforts. Hank’s for the advice. This gives us something to consider.

K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Stop over thinking it. Spike camp for a night or two can be productive and fun. Since I normally elk hunt solo I carry in my pack the minimum to spend a night in the woods. I may not be very comfortable but I'm going to survive. Be safe but don't be a pussy about it either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KLM
Be safe but don't be a pussy about it either.

This is the correct answer.

I have had people (on this forum and elsewhere) tell me how reckless I was, and was taking my life into my own hands because I don't carry all the luxuries that they seem to need.

I spike camp during hunting season all the time with just a sleeping bag and Walmart special tarp, and 1-2 times a year I spend the night hunkered underneath a tree without a sleeping bag at all. It isn't comfortable but my god, it isn't that bad. I also next to never build a fire, for various reasons and usually don't carry any kind of a stove to make a hot meal.

If I do build a fire it usually is just to heat up a can of stew real quick and not to stay warm or dry anything out.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I learned the hard way that killing an elk a long way from the truck in rough country turns the hunt into type 2 fun. It is easy to carry a pack 5 miles, add an elk and that adds lots of time and plenty of effort. Putting a good elk to bed and having a spike camp nearby is worth a night or 2 out. Being in perfect position at 1st light is priceless. Watch the weather, humping out an elk in a foot or 2 of new snow will alter your schedulegrin

Give it a try, that's the best way to learn.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Big difference in camping out in muzzle loader,archery season, or earlier rifle. Rules change come late October and November.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Big difference in camping out in muzzle loader,archery season, or earlier rifle. Rules change come late October and November.

Give it a rest. It’s not that big a deal.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Figure this has been answered pretty well already. I’ll still throw my tent in the mix, adding weight to whichever side this post aligns with.

On pub land, it’s not uncommon for us to get on bulls right at dark, unable to get a shot off.

Instead of hiking out, back to the house, hoping and praying the whole night that we’ll be able to get back into position the next morning without someone else on the X. We have made a fast spike camp with what we have in our packs to get us through that night.

Sardines, jerky, candy bars, water and a flask of Pendleton 1910 is typical field food for a night.

Clothing and gear we have on us is already weather ready for November Coastal conditions.

It’s elk hunting for gawd sakes...Suffering a smidge is what it’s all about.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks everyone for your input.

It looks like our buddy is warming up to the idea, or at least admits he doesn’t have a choice.

We’ve been diving in this rabbit hole all day and it’s been fun. What do y’all think about each man having his own one person tent instead of us sharing one larger tent? I see benefits both ways, but I’m starting to think that each of us having our own tent could be the safer bet if one of us were to get lost or hurt.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by Joezone
For the colder weather make sure you have insulated boots or packs that are up to the challenge.

We all have good boots and packs. We will have to invest in a good tent and sleeping bags.

Somebody mentioned the GI sleeping system earlier. I remember that system well and it definitely did the job, but it also compressed down to about the size of a beachball and weighed a ton. I’ll be looking for a good, backpacking cold weather bag.

I think there's a few different vendors for the GI stuff, but the one I'm familiar with was clearly a Wiggy's. They're a good example of a piece of gear that is heavier and larger than you'd like but which will save you if conditions are much worse than expected. They are legitimately warm when wet, which is not true of almost any other commercial bag.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Down is the lightest and warmest as long as you can keep it dry. It's worthless when wet. They have a coating for down now but I've read mixed reviews on whether it works or not. I don't have any experience with it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What do y’all think about each man having his own one person tent instead of us sharing one larger tent?

I like the idea. Unless I'm sharing a tent with my wife, I prefer sleeping solo. You can rig up a tarp for a communal cooking/eating area.

Aside, 3P tents are just right for two guys riding out bad weather, but are a bit small for three doing the same.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Since you have to buy a tent anyway, here is one that will hold up in bad weather and will fit three guys.A small back pack wood stove could be added in the future. If you have to hole up for a day or two,everyone can sit up around the cook stove and be some what comfortable.

https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/products/megahorn-tipi-tent-wood-stove-jack.

As for individual tents or all in one, it depends how friendly you are,or any heavy snorers.We use to run a camp with one big tent and everyone had a small tent.The ones in the small tent complained about having trouble getting dressed.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

It looks like our buddy is warming up to the idea, or at least admits he doesn’t have a choice.

We’ve been diving in this rabbit hole all day and it’s been fun. What do y’all think about each man having his own one person tent instead of us sharing one larger tent? I see benefits both ways, but I’m starting to think that each of us having our own tent could be the safer bet if one of us were to get lost or hurt.

Splitting up tents between people who are not physically together (and hunters rarely are) seems like another example of something that is fine unless something goes wrong, and then it's trouble. I'm experimenting with the Eureka Solitaire AL as a possible solution for a 1-man. There are smaller, tougher, and lighter options but I'm tall (6'6") and I find many psuedo-bivy type tents very confining.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
If bad weather hits, a tent or tarp that allows you to sit up and boil water in your LW stove and pot for coffee and the freeze dried meal of your choice lets you continue the good times.
It is actually fun to enjoy small luxuries when the weather gets stormy.

Elk hunting is tough enough, get your fun when and where you can.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
couple of MRE`S with the heaters in the packages extra water bottles or canteen work well for over a night or two small tarp and fire starter material . good luck i no longer at my age wanna fight the cold ,snow or tents in the mountains with pack animals anymore ,we rent a cushy cabin with heat ,water and a electric stove. i wish you great safe luck i will be up in the mountains of Montana also this fall. Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I appreciate that input Pete. What time will you be in MT this fall?

We’re still somewhat full of the proverbial piss and vinegar. None of us have killed an elk, but I’ve been hunting deer and other game all my life. My two friends have come under my wing since we left the Marines in 2009 and they have made several trips down here to TX to hunt with me. We want the elk and I’m looking forward to the adventure just as much as harvesting an elk. Thanks again!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

What rules change? From the first day of sharp stick season to the last day of late cow tipping, they stay the same. I can have my wife show you how to camp in cold. The old men that taught me were tough old dudes. Swallow a can of cold spam for dinner, roll out a tarp, drop sleeping bag, cover with tarp. Repeat the next day.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Splitting the weight three ways sounds appealing right up until you don’t end up together at night. Better to each have their own. Unless you’re with a hot Swedish blonde girl.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wyoelk

What rules change? From the first day of sharp stick season to the last day of late cow tipping, they stay the same. I can have my wife show you how to camp in cold. The old men that taught me were tough old dudes. Swallow a can of cold spam for dinner, roll out a tarp, drop sleeping bag, cover with tarp. Repeat the next day.

That's exactly what me and my brother did for years. A saddle horse with grub in the saddlebags and fart sack tied behind. Sleep when it got dark, ponies snubbed to a tree. Sometimes wasn't much fun, as we usually couldn't hunt for ourselves till all the hunters were done, and that was usually late in the season. Never died, but spent some cold, wet, miserable nights out to get an elk..... Nowadays I'm a wuss. A heated tent, good bag and better food as I'm not interested in suffering in my old age.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (22kHornet, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 60 invisible), 3,229 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,532
Posts18,452,941
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.