Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I have bow hunted for over 40 years but never did a season exclusively with archery gear. I am thinking about joining a lease that is bow hunting only. I currently use a Hoyt compound but am thinking about adding a Ten Point crossbow to the mix since they do allow them. Any of you rifle hunters make the switch to bows exclusively? Any suggestions on broadheads for crossbows

Last edited by pacecars; 07/05/21.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Never!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Reality - yeah, have just about made the switch.

I'll never "not gun hunt", but most of the woods time now is archery only - with a planned, draw or invite gun hunt every few few years, when available.

Which crossbow?

Mechanical head - Rage x-bow

Fixed head - Slick Trick (Viper Trick), Excalibur Boltcutter, or Evolution Outdoors Jekyll / Hyde. .

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Ten Point Invader

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
x bows aren't archery hunting. I have long bows, recurves compound and picked a x bow last year for fun.

Its a shoulder mounted scoped rifle that shoots a short arrow (boits)

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Do what makes you happy/affordable, whatever!
I've done both, as my schedule allows!
There's so many more choices today, and with the internet, just do your homework with what suits you, and go for it!
There's no one right answer!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i bowhunter exclusively for 15 years when i was much younger and did well too freezer had plenty wild game in freezer,but still missed deer hunting with my family so i went back to rifle hunting with my handloads i made . what i did learn is after hunting 15 years with a bow is i had to learn how to draw , aim and shoot at a deer with plenty early in life mistakes , what i had learned was so much more about deer than most rifle deer hunters its been a huge advantage for me, that also i have taught my son and he knows it has helped him alot too. i wish you great safe bow hunting adventures with your bow and as a old bowhunter once told me always shoot to kill ,good luck ,Pete53 p.s. i have now bowhunted for over 55 years or before the compound bow was used for hunting.

Last edited by pete53; 07/05/21.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Is their another way to shoot at a deer Pete, other than to kill? Fill us in...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by GregW
Is their another way to shoot at a deer Pete, other than to kill? Full us in...

He'll wait for Sharp Wad to post it - so he can gush all over the post.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Lmao.....thuth!

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I hunt with a compound bow and have for 43 years. Every few years, I shoot a big game animal with a rifle. Both are fun, but the bow is a lot more fun. I could easily go bow only.

NRA Patron
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have went in and out of archery only & currently choose both. Over the years my state only allowed cross bows for Archery if there is a medical reason. I never took much issue with not being eligible for Cross bow option. I have liked archery hunting, I have liked it a lot. My opinion is take the $$ you would spend on a cross bow & buy in to other great gear, like a stand & harness & or scent control or single bevel BH for example.

Your choice you may just want to go X-bow,

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by pacecars
Ten Point Invader

That’s a pretty solid entry x-bow IMHO - any of the broads listed should work with it.

Flight testing is only way to be sure, and see how they fly for you.

you probably need to upgrade the factory glass or dot at some point - if it came with one. The factory scopes are pretty weak.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

bet a little guy like you know best ? maybe someday that little man problem you have, you will get over and start being a little more positive. good luck this fall ,Pete53 > oh by the way the little message: is a bowhunter joke so light`n and try to be a little more positive and humble.

Last edited by pete53; 07/06/21.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by pete53

bet a little guy like you know best ? maybe someday that little man problem you have, you will get over and start being a little more positive. good luck this fall ,Pete53 > oh by the way the little message: is a bowhunter joke so light`n and try to be a little more positive and humble.

Lol.

I just have a dumbass problem Pete - while this board has plenty of them, you and your hero, the obese poacher with world class insecurities, are at the top vying for pole position. Don't be the winner...

- Greg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
100gr muzzy 3 blade work well in x bows

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Crossbows shoot a lighter arrow than your Hoyt. Also a lot noisier due to the heavy draw weight/arrow weight. All of that energy has to go somewhere and translates to noise. Even the fastest crossbow or compound cannt come near the speed of sound, so the deer hear the bow noise 3 times faster than the arrow gets there. You can help the crossbow by shooting an aluminum bolt and heavier broadhead. Initial speed will be less, but retained energy will be more. And a bit quieter.
If you sight both for 20 yards and then shoot 50 with that sight setting, you will see that the compond will hit slightly higher due to retained energy.
I am not a fan of mechanicals as the blades are thinner and can bend more easily due to their design. They are unsupported once they open. And the mechanicals take a lot more energy to open up as they hit the hide.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by pete53

Lol.

I just have a dumbass problem Pete - while this board has plenty of them, you and your hero, the obese poacher with world class insecurities, are at the top vying for pole position. Don't be the winner...

>>when you get a chance in your busy keyboard day stand on box and look in the mirror , might help you learn to be much more positive

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Go get 'em Pete...

- Greg

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

I had a great mentor early in my archery learnin' who said something very similiar. He told me to never shoot "at" or shoot to "hit" game. He emphasized the "shoot to kill it" and "shoot through it" mantra. I abide, and tell others I have hunted with the same.

I think we all have more in common here than we have different.

Pace, I have areas that I only bowhunt and have been in bowhunting only leases. But rifle hunting has a place in my seasons too.
Nothing wrong with bowhunting only, especially if the property is ideal for it.
Xbow for me will be only when compounds and recurves and I can not be efficient.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I always bowhunted as a kid. You could get a license sooner back then vs rifle. Rifle season was so I could hunt those 2 weeks too.

That said - as I've gotten older, I've done far less bowhunting. I bet it's been 12 years or more since I did any. Just have other things cooking.

Me

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
111 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 15 invisible), 1,750 guests, and 820 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,701
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.