Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
A lot of good firewood wasted?

I'm sure.

Burned 2 huge piles of downed oaks a couple of days ago. Pretty much solid oak trees here, and I don't even have a fireplace... wink

Makes for a good fire though.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
A lot goes to waste here in Iowa as well.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Oldman03
You need you one of those rigs like rockinbbar has got that goes on the tractor.

Pull 'em right out! wink

Been using the puller with my loader quite a bit lately.

This is a 16" oak tree.

Pull, stack and burn.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Dang, you're hired Rockinbar. How long to get that rig to Hays? That is seriously the way to do it. On my small place I'll hack around with a chainsaw during cooler weather is my plan.

Dillonbuck, if you want them for landscaping, seems like a lot do. These are in a pasture that we hope to grow either switchgrass or alfalfa in. Really need them dead and gone. Pretty sure the Triclopyr and diesel is whipping them pretty good.

I'd love to have that oak firewood up here in CO. Its going for $400 a cord here. Guy figured out a way to haul it this way you could possibly make some money but with diesel and labor costs up it may not pay off.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 30338

I'd love to have that oak firewood up here in CO. Its going for $400 a cord here. Guy figured out a way to haul it this way you could possibly make some money but with diesel and labor costs up it may not pay off.

My cousin in Amarillo tells me the same thing!

I have a 35' flatbed Gooseneck I could put lots of firewood on, but I doubt the work and round trip would be worth it. wink

Staying pretty busy doing land clearing down here with my loader and puller and grapple.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wasn't recommending Roundup, as much as just saying
"They are tough SOB's And you might need to keep an eye on them and
re-treat." If it was the electric line guys that hit mine, you know they weren't playing. And the darn things bounced right back.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by 30338

My cousin in Amarillo tells me the same thing!

I have a 35' flatbed Gooseneck I could put lots of firewood on, but I doubt the work and round trip would be worth it. wink

Staying pretty busy doing land clearing down here with my loader and puller and grapple.

Transporting firewood any distance is illegal many places.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Wasn't recommending Roundup, as much as just saying
"They are tough SOB's And you might need to keep an eye on them and
re-treat." If it was the electric line guys that hit mine, you know they weren't playing. And the darn things bounced right back.

Dillon, didn't take it that way but roundup kills the heck out of a lot of stuff. After a lot of online researching it seems the long term kill rate with Remedy Ultra and Triclopyr mixed with diesel is pretty good. I have seen some hills that had 12-18 yuccas in them and after a few months, there will be a new one trying to come up. Not sure if those are survivors or simply coming up from a buried seed. Hoping if I knock em back and get a good crop going they won't out compete it. This is my first yucca rodeo though so guess we'll see soon lol.

Keeps me out of the bars for now anyway.

Wabigoon, good point on crossing state lines with firewood.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 160user, 22kHornet, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 1,793 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,604
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.