-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Pugs...that looks MUCH too civilized....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Seems to me, the only thing missing was a fine cigar and a few drams of Redbreast.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A few comments:

Have spent time in PA but not for a while. Never fished there, but read all the flyfishing books and know that much about it--plus a few private stories from friends who fished with the legends.

Haven't been to PA in many years, but when I first visited drank Iron City, Rolling Rock and Yuengling. Have yet to find a beer I don't find drinkable in the right circumstances, but am glad local brews are looking up.

Have only had Redbreast in Ireland. Good stuff, but have yet to find an Irish whiskey I don't like.

One interesting thing that's been happening recently in Montana is brown trout populations are starting to drop in their traditional "legendary" waters--which is something of a puzzler, since as somebody already noted, they're more tolerant of warmer waters than any other trout commonly found in North America, whether "native" to the region or not.

Personally I tend to fish less popular places even in Montana, partly because the famous places I fished while growing up here have become too crowded.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Very cool. Sometimes I think all the world really needs is a good fly fishing trip and the fellowship of solid friends.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe

Oh, your name came up a couple times. "Gee, we really should go to Montana fishing with Ingwe sometime" as I related the fun fishing we did a few years ago.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beautiful water, given the environment, and challenging fish. I do get a bit more satisfaction out of fooling educated quarry.

Nice post.

1Minute
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Great post. Don’t think i will ever get to fish there so I enjoyed the trip. 👍

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by ingwe

Oh, your name came up a couple times. "Gee, we really should go to Montana fishing with Ingwe sometime" as I related the fun fishing we did a few years ago.

Yeah and we were just getting started when..... cry

And BTW some guy just got beat up by a grizzly a bit upstream from where we were.... eek

Last edited by ingwe; 06/20/21.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We'll be bring appropriate sidearms, slow companions and a ham.. grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Great post! I was lucky to fish the limestone streams in the Cumberland valley many times. Always marvelled at the size of some of the brown trout in those waters.

The largest wild brown I ever saw in Pennsylvania was in the upper Letort one August afternoon after a heavy thunderstorn.

I seldom get down to that part of the state any more for fishing but your trip sounds like a great time.

John

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like a good time was had by all.

But I have to ask, where did the peanut trout come from?

Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
But I have to ask, where did the peanut trout come from?

Yellow breeches -To get big ones there have to be small ones. grin the problem with splitting up to fish is you really don't get any hero shots so you take them where you can.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
True trophy fish deserve a good “grip and grin”. 😂

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Just caught a dozen of those.. Supper on Fri/ eve..

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
😋 I might be able to make it by Friday. 😁

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
[quote=Pappy348]Did you try worms?🪱

I think it was around 1968, I was about 12, back page of Field and Stream. Maybe some of you old plagiarizers remember the story. One guy was killing them, the other had nothing. He said, I’ve tried everything in my kit and haven’t had a single strike, what are you tying? The guy with all the fish replied, when all else fails, try a #9 Cahill. Never tied one of those, what is it? An earth worm.

That was probably Ed Zern talking about the "Garden Hackle".

Last edited by Plumdog; 07/01/21.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Great writeup and very nice pictures. I live, and have grown up, about 5 miles from there. No doubt you were fishing over extremely educated trout. The section of the Yellow Breeches you were fishing below Allenberry is in the "catch and release" section and it gets fished hard. That section is stocked a few times each year by the fish commission. I do not think the yellow breeches anglers club stocks that section but i could be wrong about that. There are definitely sections of that creek that hold some good wild brown trout populations. The Big Spring and Letort are definitely not what they once were and can be tough fishing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by extremesolo
Great writeup and very nice pictures. I live, and have grown up, about 5 miles from there. No doubt you were fishing over extremely educated trout. The section of the Yellow Breeches you were fishing below Allenberry is in the "catch and release" section and it gets fished hard. That section is stocked a few times each year by the fish commission. I do not think the yellow breeches anglers club stocks that section but i could be wrong about that. There are definitely sections of that creek that hold some good wild brown trout populations. The Big Spring and Letort are definitely not what they once were and can be tough fishing.

Yep, that's what my (please forgive me) snide remark about the peanut (planter) trout was referring to - it's an obvious stocker. The rainbow in the net is nicely colored, likely a holdover or naturally reproducing?

That Big Spring section pictured looks like it could be English chalk stream. Really beautiful. Makes me realize that I need to experience more than CA tailwater or "thin blue line" plunge/pool fishing.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Nice place.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Wasn't Zern's a "Garden Hackle Peacock"?

Thinking of Ed Zern, I guess I need to dig "How To Tell Fish From Fishermen" out and reread it.

Last edited by LouisB; 12/29/21. Reason: added comment

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (44mc, 1eyedmule, 35, 257 mag, 300jimmy, 7887mm08, 11 invisible), 1,322 guests, and 831 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,272
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.